United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Not Football related > Other Sports & Fitness

Old 15-10-2017, 07:55 AM
irk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone Monkey View Post
K 2 is a much harder mountain to climb. Everest has become a bit of a joke TBH.
Edmund Hillary over here

Old 15-10-2017, 08:08 AM
My Name is Keith

Quote:
Agreed - still, Everest is beyond most people. Think Annapurna is the most dangerous mountain isn't it? It's kill to summit ratio is impressive.

Any road, one of the most dangerous things on k2 is the giant serac.

A giant wave/ocean of ice hanging off the side of the mountain. The main route requires you to traverse its base and it's a case of praying none of it falls off which it does regularly. Russian roulette in case all the other factors weren't off putting enough.

Old 15-10-2017, 08:10 AM
waynes ear's

Quote:

Old 15-10-2017, 08:20 AM
My Name is Keith

Controversial one:

David Sharp was passed by 40 climbers who all presumed he was dead or incapable of being saved or more likely, didn't want their own chance to summit Everest being stopped by launching a rescue attempt. An act widely criticised by mountaineers including ed Hilary/stone monkey.

Personally, I think the bloke (David) was a bit of a dick for trying it on his own.

The launch picture of that vid above is of green boots (who is dead). Not sure if that needs to be nsfw. Hope not.

Last edited by My Name is Keith; 15-10-2017 at 08:22 AM.

Old 15-10-2017, 08:42 AM
guerreiro

I imagine most mountain climbers to be insufferable arrogant bores, doesn't surprise me they'd rather leave someone to die than spoil their own hill climbing adventure.

'Because it's there' is not a good enough reason, just admit it's so you can bore/brag about it forever more.

Old 15-10-2017, 08:43 AM
My Name is Keith

Quote:
Originally Posted by guerreiro View Post
I imagine most mountain climbers to be insufferable arrogant bores, doesn't surprise me they'd rather leave someone to die than spoil their own hill climbing adventure.

'Because it's there' is not a good enough reason, just admit it's so you can bore/brag about it forever more.
Outside pal.

Old 15-10-2017, 09:34 AM
guerreiro

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Name is Keith View Post
Outside pal.
No electricity, no dice.

Old 15-10-2017, 09:42 AM
bobbledinho

I know a guy who has climbed it twice. Heís middle aged and not particularly athletic. Apparently you just get sherpaed up it and they allocate you a time to reach the summit, like the ticket system in a butcher.

He canít remember the first time at the summit. Said the lack of O2 had just wiped him out. Sherpa took a photo for him and then just took him down.

The last few bits of the climb are at a snailís pace. Have to adapt to conditions for ages or you fall ill. And thereís a queue.

Old 15-10-2017, 10:08 AM
waynes ear's

Queuing to climb a mountain?

Old 15-10-2017, 11:26 AM
Harfynn Teuport

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Name is Keith View Post
Controversial one:

David Sharp was passed by 40 climbers who all presumed he was dead or incapable of being saved or more likely, didn't want their own chance to summit Everest being stopped by launching a rescue attempt. An act widely criticised by mountaineers including ed Hilary/stone monkey.

Personally, I think the bloke (David) was a bit of a dick for trying it on his own.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1En6ec6POE&sns=em

The launch picture of that vid above is of green boots (who is dead). Not sure if that needs to be nsfw. Hope not.