United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Not Football related > TV / Film / Books / Arts

Old 28-09-2017, 09:09 PM
andyroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Name is Keith View Post
Wolf hall.

Found it impenetrable - she didn't explain enough - she just threw you into obscure exchanges without even identifying who was speaking. Felt like tracking her down and pinning the dumpy high pitched cow against a wall until she apologised.

Loved the tv show - was exceptional - one of the best things I've ever seen.
I thought the first chapter was really hard work, just like you said, but then when the actual book itself started I'd actually forgotten all about the introductory bit, and when the characters in it reappeared I was like "hang on a minute, why is this vaguely familiar?" Did you stick it out or throw it away after the start?

Old 28-09-2017, 09:12 PM
suedeshoes

Agree with Wolf Hall. Tried twice. Every c*** seems to have the same name.

The Dice Man.
On the Road.

Old 28-09-2017, 09:15 PM
Bunker Buster

Dice man

Edit - shoes

Such a shit book, held my attention, yeah....but didn't believe a single c***ing word...

The exact opposite to 'a million little pieces' gutted when I found out

Old 28-09-2017, 09:15 PM
Harri Jaffa

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa7 View Post
I've never understood the appeal of it tbh. What makes it a work of genius?
Because it is I said so
Don't you dare say so no
I think you've lost a little
of your soul it it it'll

It's good, just deal with it - I'm not genius (see above) but trust me (and him, them, in the pen (f*** off)) it is

There's a few people that have said reading every other chapter of any Dan Brown's books you get a story. Obviously if you start on chapter 1 or two it's different. Read Angels and Demons. The one bit about morality is quite good apart from that.

I'm part swedish. My swedish relatives think the girl who books are drab as fook. tbh if you read a Mankell book the girl who trilogy is massively insignificant (I enjoyed them though fwiw)

Old 28-09-2017, 09:16 PM
andyroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by suedeshoes View Post
Agree with Wolf Hall. Tried twice. Every c*** seems to have the same name.
Thomas? That was Tudor England, everyone did have the same name

Having On The Road, yes. It's dated pretty badly, I'd read a lot of stuff that was influenced by it before actually reading it and it suffers badly by comparison.

Old 28-09-2017, 09:17 PM
Bunker Buster

Angels a demons

He jumps from a helicopter into a shop awning and lives

GET OUT.

Old 28-09-2017, 09:17 PM
My Name is Keith

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyroo View Post
I thought the first chapter was really hard work, just like you said, but then when the actual book itself started I'd actually forgotten all about the introductory bit, and when the characters in it reappeared I was like "hang on a minute, why is this vaguely familiar?" Did you stick it out or throw it away after the start?
Sacked it off unfortunately- was an avid reader until that and have now stopped almost entirely. Need to get back into it because reading is ace.

Old 28-09-2017, 09:18 PM
Zorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Name is Keith View Post
Wolf hall.

Found it impenetrable - she didn't explain enough - she just threw you into obscure exchanges without even identifying who was speaking. Felt like tracking her down and pinning the dumpy high pitched cow against a wall until she apologised.

Loved the tv show - was exceptional - one of the best things I've ever seen.
Tried to read Wolf Hall on a beach holiday in Turkey. Never going to happen.

Went back to it about five years later and couldn't put it down, then read the follow-up too. Amazing stuff.

The names though ffs - the Cardinal's right hand man, the Cardinal himself, the Bolyens' scheming father, the Lord Chancellor, the Duke of Norfolk and the Archbishop of Canterbury were all called Thomas

Old 28-09-2017, 09:18 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa7 View Post
I've never understood the appeal of it tbh. What makes it a work of genius?
let's have a little talk about tweetle beetles..... oh, I get a twinge just writing those words.

on the other hand, I only need to catch sight h mantel out of the corner of one eye to know I am never going to enjoy a single f***ing word she writes.

Old 28-09-2017, 09:19 PM
andyroo

Is it true that the opening line of Angels and Demons is "a bell clanged deafeningly somewhere in the distance"?