United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Not Football related > News, Current Affairs & Politics

Old 28-09-2017, 10:48 AM
Finport Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by red red robbo View Post
It means you are against the state of Israel, which to be honest most people probably aren't. What they object to is the way the state of Israel behaves, rather than its existence per se.

Human behaviour is usually too complex to have a simple label applied to it.
That's what I reckon too, but I was wondering what those who are using the term mean by it.

Certainly, those in the surrounding countries who use the term, ARE against the state of Israel's existence.

Old 28-09-2017, 10:57 AM
TripDownMiseryLane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finport Red View Post
When declaring yourself to be 'anti-zionist' what exactly does that entail?
It entails opposing the ethnic cleansing of Palestine and the destruction of the Palestinian people by the apartheid state of Israel.

Quote:
That's what I reckon too, but I was wondering what those who are using the term mean by it.

Certainly, those in the surrounding countries who use the term, ARE against the state of Israel's existence.
Like who/which countries for instance?

Old 28-09-2017, 11:03 AM
Finport Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripDownMiseryLane View Post
It entails opposing the ethnic cleansing of Palestine and the destruction of the Palestinian people by the apartheid state of Israel.

Like who/which countries for instance?
Iran, Palestine for instance

Old 28-09-2017, 11:04 AM
Harri Jaffa

Quote:
Originally Posted by red red robbo View Post
It means you are against the state of Israel, which to be honest most people probably aren't. What they object to is the way the state of Israel behaves, rather than its existence per se.

Human behaviour is usually too complex to have a simple label applied to it.
Very well put

Old 28-09-2017, 11:12 AM
Finport Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harri Jaffa View Post
Very well put
It is well put, and I agree with the sentiment. Unfortunately, it is not the way quite a lot of people define their anti-zionism. A lot of them are against Israel's right to exist as a nation. This is why Israel gets away with tarring everyone who claims to be anti-zionist as anti semitic.

Old 28-09-2017, 11:16 AM
Harri Jaffa

Quote:
It is well put, and I agree with the sentiment. Unfortunately, it is not the way quite a lot of people define their anti-zionism. A lot of them are against Israel's right to exist as a nation. This is why Israel gets away with tarring everyone who claims to be anti-zionist as anti semitic.
I think that the whirring of the media is what distorts people's views. The question as always is why distort it...

Old 28-09-2017, 11:18 AM
Finport Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harri Jaffa View Post
I think that the whirring of the media is what distorts people's views. The question as always is why distort it...
Which media? The BBC?

Old 28-09-2017, 11:27 AM
TripDownMiseryLane

Quote:
Iran, Palestine for instance
Iran is as hostile to Israel to the same degree that Israel is hostile to Iran, difference being, the Israelis have nuclear missiles aimed at Iran.

As for 'Palestine', first off there is no state of Palestine as the military occupation and annexation of it's lands by Israel doesn't allow for one and secondly, the Palestinians recognised Israel 25 years ago and have being doing their utmost to make peace and come to an arrangement for a two state solution.

There is only one state in the region that will not allow other states to exist and it's Israel.

Old 28-09-2017, 11:52 AM
sub three hours

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripDownMiseryLane View Post
It entails opposing the ethnic cleansing of Palestine and the destruction of the Palestinian people by the apartheid state of Israel
In that case I'm anti zionist, as I would imagine are the majority of people in the Labour party who are being accused of being anti semitic.

What i don't get is, why don't Corbyn and Co articulate this when they are put on the back foot with accusations of anti semetism?

Last edited by sub three hours; 28-09-2017 at 11:56 AM.

Old 28-09-2017, 12:08 PM
red red robbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sub three hours View Post
In that case I'm anti zionist, as I would imagine are the majority of people in the Labour party who are being accused of being anti semitic.

What i don't get is, why don't Corbyn and Co articulate this when they are put on the back foot with accusations of anti semetism?
Whose gonna listen?

Seriously that sort of debate about semantics is completely beyond the average man in the street. They would just say you are splitting hairs.