United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Not Football related > News, Current Affairs & Politics

Old 28-09-2017, 09:15 AM
Harri Jaffa

Quote:
Originally Posted by sub three hours View Post
Yet if my views are typical to those being expressed at the Labour party conference and if the Labour party is supposedly rife with antisemitism then either I'm antisemitic too or the Labour Party isn't rife with antisemitism at all.
Anti-semitism gets thrown around a lot. The US built a nuclear base in Israel in the 50s/60s and use Israel as a military base in the region so it's no wonder that the western media are very pro Israel...

Old 28-09-2017, 09:20 AM
red red robbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sub three hours View Post
Serious Question.

Does opposing the illegal occupation and actions of Israel make me antisemitic? 😔
No, it makes you anti-zionist.

This is one of those cases where the meaning of a word has been twisted for political ends.

Old 28-09-2017, 09:25 AM
Lazlo Panaflex

Quote:
Originally Posted by sub three hours
Yet if my views are typical to those being expressed at the Labour party conference and if the Labour party is supposedly rife with antisemitism then either I'm antisemitic too or the Labour Party isn't rife with antisemitism at all.
let me guess, some talking head self appointed representative of judaism was on bbc or something complaining about labour..

those lot are no different from right wing americans complaining that war protesters are anti-american, or hysterical sjws labelling people as racist because they talk about controlled immigration. They're all just taking the low road.

Old 28-09-2017, 09:32 AM
saffers

Very awkward for us who are not jewish to define what is and isn't racism but the best way to avoid misunderstanding is to make clear you don't believe Israel is something that represents all jews. Zionism is not judaism.

Unfortunately Netanyahu keeps referring to himself as the leader of jewish people worldwide. THAT is clearly anti semitic and leads to anti semitic actions such as blaming jewish people in the UK, elsewhere in europe for the actions of the state of Israel.

Old 28-09-2017, 09:37 AM
Buck

According to Alan Dershowitz, a Harvard law professor and Israel's number 1 cheerleader, anyone who criticises Israel's actions is an anti-semite and they get the full smear from him and his cronies.

Jimmy Carter wrote a book titled Palestine: Peace not Apartheid which precipitated discussion and was a best-seller. Dershowitz was a Carter supporter, had worked on his Presidential campaigns all those years ago and they remained in correspondence until that book. Then Dershowitz went on a full blown character assassination.

These are nasty, malicious tactics to shut down debate and ignore the situation at hand. Here was a recent story from March:

Quote:
A new United Nations report accuses Israel of having established "an apartheid regime that oppresses and dominates the Palestinian people as a whole".

The publication comes amid renewed debate about whether, through its settlement policy and rejection of Palestinian self-determination, the Israeli government is creating - or even has already created - a de facto "one-state", which critics warn would constitute a form of apartheid.

It urged governments to "support boycott, divestment and sanctions [BDS] activities and respond positively to calls for such initiatives".
Carter saged this in 2007.

Old 28-09-2017, 10:19 AM
TripDownMiseryLane

The Zionazi propaganda and lobbying operation is a very well oiled and incredibly well financed machine operating across the globe. They have been working on making any criticism of Israel synonymous with antisemitism since the inception of the Zionist state, with a great deal of success, and have been responsible for hounding hundreds of academics, journalists, politicians and others out of jobs and any positions of influence and silencing thousands.

The latest attacks on activists in the Labour party is orchestrated from the Israeli embassy with the objective of undermining JC and having him replaced with an Israeli friendly sop.

How Joan Ryan MP hasn't been arrested for conspiring with foreign intelligence services against elected British politicians, having been filmed at it, is beyond me How she hasn't been booted out of the party is a f***ing joke, but shows how powerful the Israeli lobby is.

Old 28-09-2017, 10:25 AM
saffers

Old 28-09-2017, 10:29 AM
Sparky***

Welcome to 2017 and political arguments. If you can find an angle to smear someone as hateful or bigoted in some way, you've won the argument.

Old 28-09-2017, 10:39 AM
Finport Red

When declaring yourself to be 'anti-zionist' what exactly does that entail?

Old 28-09-2017, 10:44 AM
red red robbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finport Red View Post
When declaring yourself to be 'anti-zionist' what exactly does that entail?
It means you are against the state of Israel, which to be honest most people probably aren't. What they object to is the way the state of Israel behaves, rather than its existence per se.

Human behaviour is usually too complex to have a simple label applied to it.