United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Not Football related > News, Current Affairs & Politics

Old 25-09-2017, 06:59 PM
waynes ear's

Love that video. Huw doesnt

Last edited by waynes ear's; 25-09-2017 at 07:03 PM.

Old 25-09-2017, 07:02 PM
Big Norm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky*** View Post
Why do people never question how we pay for wars? Or how we managed to bung the DUP a billion quid or how we found the cash to bail out RBS? Or how we manage to find the 10 billion quid it cost to put on the olympics... or how we're finding the billion quid it's going to cost to do up big ben and the houses of parliament?

Hmmm? how comes nobody ever seems to ask how they pay for all that?

But suddenly, when a "loony lefty" starts talking about things that might actually be of some benefit to ordinary people, suddenly everyone is a f***ing accountant.
The government of the day passed legislation to make PFIs possible in the first place so it is possible to draft and pass new legislation to take them back without it costing an arm and a leg. The thieving c***s have made enough from the public coffers already.

Old 25-09-2017, 07:10 PM
Buck

Interview with Corbyn and McDonnell in April 2015 when Ed Miliband was leading the party into the election.

Quote:
Earlier in the evening, I'd been handed a copy of "The Left Platform", a policy document that the left of the party are pushing as they head into the election. The headlines are radical – on tackling the deficit, an end to austerity, calls for a wealth tax, a minimum wage of £10 an hour and the nationalisation of public services.

According to McDonnell, this has the backing of a bloc of "30 to 40 MP's." The demands are there to set the debate, he explained, "but it will ultimately come down to what people are willing to vote for." Could this be a threat to Mliliband?

"I think what we're trying to say to the Labour front bench is, 'don't ignore the left – we're here'. When it comes down to certain issues, if this a Government thinking it's going to implement austerity, with our support, they've got another thing coming," said McDonnell.

"What we are saying to the leadership is that we won't be voting for austerity, and when the day comes there'll be enough Labour MP's, with enough support out there, to stop them."

The opportunity to have a real impact arguably vindicates their continued membership of a party that they have been politically at odds with since its "modernisation" and move to the right under Blair 1990s. Today's young radicals are relatively unlikely to join the Labour Party. I asked if they'd be in a hurry to join Labour themselves if they were new to left-wing politics.

"I think you can see why not, people are pissed off at the Labour Party, especially young people," said McDonnell.

Corbyn too didn't rush to sign me up, "Get involved in campaigns, in a union, with peace movement, get involved with Occupy & UK Uncut", he said, before adding, finally, "and also be in a political party."

Old 25-09-2017, 07:14 PM
rubbernecker

The Beast at this year's conference

Old 25-09-2017, 07:24 PM
Sapien

Wouldn’t ‘for the many and the few’ be a more inclusive motto?

Old 25-09-2017, 07:41 PM
rubbernecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapien View Post
No and I think you've misunderstood the point quite spectacularly

Old 25-09-2017, 07:43 PM
no fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapien View Post
No, because the few they mean are hopefully going to be taxed to f*** or imprisoned

Old 25-09-2017, 09:24 PM
92ToBury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky*** View Post
Why do people never question how we pay for wars? Or how we managed to bung the DUP a billion quid or how we found the cash to bail out RBS? Or how we manage to find the 10 billion quid it cost to put on the olympics... or how we're finding the billion quid it's going to cost to do up big ben and the houses of parliament?

Hmmm? how comes nobody ever seems to ask how they pay for all that?

But suddenly, when a "loony lefty" starts talking about things that might actually be of some benefit to ordinary people, suddenly everyone is a f***ing accountant.
You work in a cab, I work in an investment bank. Now f*** off.

Old 25-09-2017, 09:28 PM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92ToBury View Post
You work in a cab, I work in an investment bank. Now f*** off.

Shots
Fired

Old 25-09-2017, 09:32 PM
92ToBury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster View Post

Shots
Fired
Steam blown off more like.

More economical to let the PFIs run their course. They've been rationalised considerably since the original utter f*** ups that let the privateers get away with murder, so there's no point wasting millions negotiating our way out of them.