United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Not Football related > News, Current Affairs & Politics

Old 24-09-2017, 08:01 PM
Albert Tatlock

Default German Election

I thought we had a thread, but I'm too stupid to find it. If there is one, the mods please merge.

Merkel won again, but didn't win. Her grand coalition partner the SPD says it won't form a coalition with the CDU, thus this time she has no overall majority and is forced to look to the greens, liberals and whoever.

AfD, the nationalists win seats for the first time.

It's going to be interesting.

... and before Denis and the other nutters say that this is the end of the EU, Germany has always had coalitions and has on the most part some fun and games in forming them. So this is par for the course... except for the nationalists winning some seats

http://www.bbc.com/news/live/world-europe-41367497

Old 24-09-2017, 08:07 PM
armchair

i like the way the us has term limits

putin/merkel/erdogan are all in power for way too long

Old 24-09-2017, 08:13 PM
Albert Tatlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by armchair View Post

Without term limits we would have got Bill Clinton for a third time instead of W Bush.

There was/is a term limit in Russia. Putin was prime minister for one term whilst his mate was president... so it didn't stop him

I don't like term limits. If the people want you, then they should be able to elect you...assuming the elections are fair. If not, then term limits do nothing... see Putin above

Last edited by Albert Tatlock; 24-09-2017 at 08:16 PM.

Old 24-09-2017, 08:16 PM
ScarFace

Quote:

Don't them lot have term limits? How long can she destroy Germany for before she has to leave ?

Old 24-09-2017, 08:17 PM
Albert Tatlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarFace View Post
Don't them lot have term limits? How long can she destroy Germany for before she has to leave ?
How is she destroying it

Old 24-09-2017, 08:19 PM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarFace View Post

Knew you'd be a long soon....

"Flood gates for half of Africa"

Old 24-09-2017, 08:24 PM
Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert Tatlock View Post
Without term limits we would have got Bill Clinton for a third time instead of W Bush.

There was/is a term limit in Russia. Putin was prime minister for one term whilst his mate was president... so it didn't stop him

I don't like term limits. If the people want you, then they should be able to elect you...assuming the elections are fair. If not, then term limits do nothing... see Putin above
term limits are needed when there is no formal opposition as in the US.

in parliamentary systems i don't think they're important at all.

Old 24-09-2017, 08:32 PM
Albert Tatlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck View Post
term limits are needed when there is no formal opposition as in the US.

in parliamentary systems i don't think they're important at all.
So term limits for executive presidents, like the US and France, but no limits on prime ministers as they are not directly elected, the party is ?

Personally, as long as the electoral process is fair, I think there should not be term limits. I would have liked to see Bill Clinton fight it out with G.W. Bush and Obama fighting it out with Trump, with the people making the decision who they wanted.

Old 24-09-2017, 08:33 PM
armchair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert Tatlock View Post
so you'll be cool with trump ruling for the rest of his life.

Old 24-09-2017, 08:36 PM
Albert Tatlock

Quote:
so you'll be cool with trump ruling for the rest of his life.
He wouldn't have got past Obama in my opinion.

...but hypothetically, if the good citizens of the US kept electing Trump then that's their choice. Why is that wrong ?

This is turning into a Trump thread... it's supposed to be about the German election... yes, I know I'm as guilty as the rest.

The big story in Germany is that the AfD have taken almost all of their votes from the CDU / SDP who were the government. In total the government lost 1.5 million votes to the nationalists

Last edited by Albert Tatlock; 24-09-2017 at 08:44 PM.