United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Not Football related > Science & Technology

Old 18-09-2017, 09:36 PM
Spock

Default plumbing

Bath hot tap just stopped working, it's an old dual mixer job, cold is fine. Weirdly if I run the hot water in the sink the hot water starts in the bath but then stops again when I turn the sink off

The fact this happens leads me to think it's some sort of pressure problem rather than the actual tap

Any suggestions?

Old 18-09-2017, 09:37 PM
Sapien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spock View Post
Bath hot tap just stopped working, it's an old dual mixer job, cold is fine. Weirdly if I run the hot water in the sink the hot water starts in the bath but then stops again when I turn the sink off

The fact this happens leads me to think it's some sort of pressure problem rather than the actual tap

Any suggestions?
Call the plumber?

Old 18-09-2017, 09:56 PM
FraUtd

Airlock possibly?

Behind your washing machine do you have a hot and cold connection?
Usually only the cold is connected and the hot is shut off, take the hose from the cold that goes into the washing machine, connect it to the hot and open the valves.
Mains pressure cold can push out any air from the hot water pipes, hopefully hear a load of gurgling somewhere in the pipes.
Put the connections back the way they were and see if it made a difference.
Might need to have the bath hot tap running.

Use to have to do it every so often in a rented place years ago, it worked, honest!

Alternative, but wetter and less effective, run the bath hot water, block it as much as you can holding a cloth over it.
Then run the cold tap, if it can't get out the end, it could force its way back down the hot pipe and maybe shift an airlock.

Last edited by FraUtd; 18-09-2017 at 10:07 PM.

Old 18-09-2017, 10:17 PM
Spock

Quote:
Originally Posted by FraUtd View Post
Airlock possibly?

Behind your washing machine do you have a hot and cold connection?
Usually only the cold is connected and the hot is shut off, take the hose from the cold that goes into the washing machine, connect it to the hot and open the valves.
Mains pressure cold can push out any air from the hot water pipes, hopefully hear a load of gurgling somewhere in the pipes.
Put the connections back the way they were and see if it made a difference.
Might need to have the bath hot tap running.

Use to have to do it every so often in a rented place years ago, it worked, honest!

Alternative, but wetter and less effective, run the bath hot water, block it as much as you can holding a cloth over it.
Then run the cold tap, if it can't get out the end, it could force its way back down the hot pipe and maybe shift an airlock.
cheers mate, will have another look tomorrow

Old 18-09-2017, 10:42 PM
sa7

Give the side of the boiler a clout

Old 18-09-2017, 10:46 PM
Bunker Buster

Smash your entire HW system to bits, it'll be cheaper than getting a plumber in...

Old 19-09-2017, 08:32 AM
75Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster View Post
Smash your entire HW system to bits, it'll be cheaper than getting a plumber in...
If you can find a plumber available this side of Christmas. 2018..

Old 19-09-2017, 08:40 AM
Poop

Buy a new house.

Old 19-09-2017, 08:42 AM
Jethro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spock

Any suggestions?
Check radiators. One may have a leak. Bleed them and give it another spin. It's a process of elimination, a shite one at that but it may save you a few quid.

Have you checked the pressure of the boiler?

Old 19-09-2017, 09:08 AM
Finport Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spock View Post

Any suggestions?
I'm impressed that you've got a motorised/electric sink.