United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Not Football related > Food and Drink

Old 14-09-2017, 04:23 PM
red in cumbria

I don't think any sort of veal is "humane" tbh, I know i'm a hypocrite where meat is concerned but I have never (knowingly) eaten that on principle.

Old 14-09-2017, 04:32 PM
Sapien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cream
The cheese is ok. Like a cross between edam and a stick of salty butter.
Sounds delicious
I'm out.

Old 14-09-2017, 04:53 PM
Jammy Dodger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harri Jaffa View Post
So how could you change the system?

How could I help for instance?
How do you change any system?

Informing people probably would be a start, rather than a load of propaganda and half truths that's put out there.

Telling people meat is bad for health and such just leads to an even shitter food supply and situation for people's health. Great for the likes of Monsanto and other big food industry profiteers though.

Last edited by Jammy Dodger; 14-09-2017 at 05:00 PM.

Old 14-09-2017, 05:16 PM
Harri Jaffa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammy Dodger View Post
How do you change any system?

Informing people probably would be a start, rather than a load of propaganda and half truths that's put out there.

Telling people meat is bad for health and such just leads to an even shitter food supply and situation for people's health. Great for the likes of Monsanto and other big food industry profiteers though.
What about warning people about eating too many animal products and describing the impact that livestock production has on environments, such as the 30% of Amazon deforestation that's caused by livestock farming?

I think one of the problems is that if you choose any message people will look to distrust it if it's challenging. Worth going with a couple...

Old 15-09-2017, 08:18 AM
Jammy Dodger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harri Jaffa View Post
What about warning people about eating too many animal products and describing the impact that livestock production has on environments, such as the 30% of Amazon deforestation that's caused by livestock farming?

I think one of the problems is that if you choose any message people will look to distrust it if it's challenging. Worth going with a couple...
I looked into that claim a while ago. I can't remember why but it didn't hold up to scrutiny. It's a solvable issue and reducing demand by not eating meat is the worse long term solution imo, because of what it will do to the food supply and our health.

There needs to be a political will to improve the animal product industry, for environmental, animal welfare and health reasons. So many things wrong with it as it is, which is generally because of the power of the big corporations involved, like everything. A system of minimising costs to maximise profit in a free market where small producers get f***ed in the arse by multinational producers and powerful buyers does not work for such an industry, because of the impact it has on the animals and our health. It works for the big, powerful corporations at the expense of everything else.

Last edited by Jammy Dodger; 15-09-2017 at 08:21 AM.