United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Not Football related > Science & Technology

Old 08-09-2017, 02:02 PM
Spock

Default Windows 10 issues

Right, need some help. My laptop keeps trying to download these automatic cumulative windows updates and says it has to restart, however they never install and I keep getting the message "could not finish installing updates and will need to restart later' or similar. This has become one long loop of downloading, restarting, failing to install and restarting etc etc. Been going on for months and driving me nuts. I suspect it was a Windows 10 anniversary upgrade that started it all and as an aside, ever since then skype won't recognise my camera any more even though it works fine on other apps

I have tried the windows repair tools, manually uninstalled the updates and reinstalled all to no end. I even turned windows automatic update thing in services to disabled but the f***ing thing just turns itself back on and the whole malarky starts again

Had enough so I tried to ''Roll back" to an earlier installation but no can do. Tried recovery options- reset this PC but it won't let me do that, I just get another error message saying problems resetting your PC

What next? do I have to do a complete reinstall of windows? if so I'd rather not lose all the programmes and apps I have so can these be saved to a stick or summat? I read something about a windows image of my pc but no real clue what this is or if it's what I need?

Any help greatly appreciated and ywhgr

Old 08-09-2017, 02:06 PM
plopborsky

http://ccm.net/forum/affich-33782-af...start-computer

try that

Old 08-09-2017, 02:06 PM
waynes ear's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spock View Post

I read something about a windows image of my pc but no real clue what this is or if it's what I need?
take a picture of your pc, format the hard drive, reinstall windows, add the image of your pc to your desktop, all apps will be back as before

HTH

Old 08-09-2017, 02:14 PM
Spock

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynes ear's View Post
take a picture of your pc, format the hard drive, reinstall windows, add the image of your pc to your desktop, all apps will be back as before

HTH

Quote:
Originally Posted by plopborsky View Post
"Insert the Recovery/Install DVD into the computer" .... I don't have a disk drive or recovery CD can I create one on a USB stick?

Old 08-09-2017, 02:16 PM
plopborsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spock View Post

"Insert the Recovery/Install DVD into the computer" .... I don't have a disk drive or recovery CD can I create one on a USB stick?
yes pol boot from that

Old 08-09-2017, 05:27 PM
Street Magician

Try unplugging it, throwing it out of the window and buying an apple (Mac, not a fruit obviously!)

Ps. Back up all your filth onto an external drive.

Old 08-09-2017, 10:01 PM
Why Don?

No point imaging it will just create an image of a fubar install

Save your files to two external drives then download windows 10 from Microsoft and use their tool to create a bootable USB or DVD.

Boot from the USB or DVD and you're good for a fresh install.

Old 09-09-2017, 06:27 AM
sudored

Changed to Linux mint two years ago and have never looked back.

Old 09-09-2017, 12:54 PM
Why Don?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudored View Post
Changed to Linux mint two years ago and have never looked back.
I probably would if I didn't game.