United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Not Football related > News, Current Affairs & Politics

Old 29-08-2017, 12:58 PM
Baron

Default Hurricane Harvey - Houston

No thread on this? Did a search...

This is looking a f***ing mess of epic proportions, up to 50" of rain has fallen in certain parts in the last few days, with potentially a further 12" still be dropped in the day or two

Reputedly a "once in 500 years" occurrence, it's certainly absolutely devastated the region.

My boss is there, sent me pics of his garden utterly underwater & his garage has flooded and submerged his car. They've had to evacuate their house by boat ffs

Live Reddit info - the Reddit crew are on it, currently a lot of people seem very worried about the Addicks dam, it's over 108 feet which is its limit & rising steadily...

This is the problem:

A before & after of the state of the flooding levels...

& lastly some good news... I mean terrifying if you encounter it - Fire Ants are banding together to make big f*** off floating fire ant rafts

Last edited by Baron; 29-08-2017 at 01:04 PM.

Old 29-08-2017, 01:07 PM
TheFatGoth

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...b0446b3b859d6e

Quote:
An alligator sanctuary in southeast Texas says it’s on high alert as rising floodwaters risk the escape of roughly 350 gators.

Workers at Gator Country in Beaumont have been busy patrolling the watery grounds of the 15-acre preserve as water from Hurricane Harvey’s rain inches closer to the top of fences that enclose the reptiles. As of Monday evening, none had gotten loose.

Old 29-08-2017, 01:10 PM
naes_sean

I've got some friends in south Houston in a place called Sienna Plantation.

I spoke to one of them this morning and they said the water levels in their neighbourhood has been rising all night. Won't stop raining. Gov't are doing controlled water releases from the dams to help with the overflowing banks.

They have been told to get out by 6pm today but they have no way of getting out. They are essentially trapped. All the roads out are flooded and they have to wait for boats. f***ing mental.

Old 29-08-2017, 01:13 PM
Switching Off

Could be the end of Trump if he gets this wrong.

Old 29-08-2017, 01:50 PM
Baron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switching Off View Post
Could be the end of Trump if he gets this wrong.
Surely after Katrina they have a far better response plan....

Water continues to rise on the dam / reservoir...

Old 29-08-2017, 01:53 PM
TravellingRed

Where I used to live in Sugarland in the suburbs has been evacuated, basement car parks used to flood regularly and the underpasses but this is crackers, the place is submerged. Just hope the f***ers who potted me are flooded out. c***s.

Old 29-08-2017, 02:02 PM
Baron

Travvers never forgets

re. the two reservoirs that are supposed to protect the downtown area & one of them has started to overflow for the first time in it's 70 year history...

Link

Last two paragraphs...

Quote:
Meanwhile, developers swooped in and built tract houses up to the very brink of the reservoirs, which appear in dry times to be forests. It’s probably a very pleasant place to live, except when it isn’t. During last year’s Tax Day floods, those subdivisions on the reservoirs’ western edges flooded. Now they are flooding again. None are in the 100-year floodplain. Most are in the 500-year floodplain, areas that FEMA predicts will flood once every 500 years. They are not obligated to have flood insurance. They have flooded two years in a row.

Those homes should probably never have been built. Now they’ll be flooded for quite some time: “Homes upstream will be impacted for an extended period of time while water is released from the reservoirs,” the Corps wrote in a press release. The reservoirs will take between one to three months to drain.

Old 29-08-2017, 02:08 PM
Throw

Mrs Trump tottering around in 5 inch heels in a disaster zone. Bizarre. Like she's at a slightly damp garden party. Monstrously out of touch.

Trump can't even close his umbrella. Moron.

Old 29-08-2017, 02:28 PM
red red robbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron View Post
Surely after Katrina they have a far better response plan....

Water continues to rise on the dam / reservoir...

https://twitter.com/hurricanetrack/s...27018226548736

Houston's mostly white people isn't it? Whereas New Orleans was largely black.

Sure that won't have any affect what-so-ever.

Old 29-08-2017, 02:31 PM
Baron

Quote:
Originally Posted by red red robbo View Post
Houston's mostly white people isn't it? Whereas New Orleans was largely black.

Sure that won't have any affect what-so-ever.
It's also absolutely crucial to the oil & gas sector...