United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Not Football related > Science & Technology

Old 15-08-2017, 10:20 AM
Jethro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throw View Post
Good point, but unless I'm being ridiculously naive, wouldn't it be the builder (and structural engineer) who particularly needs the cover? This guy's just gonna lay out where the bedrooms go, rearrange some internal walls that the structural engineer will draw up, and then the builder does all the dangerous heavy lifting?
https://www.designingbuildings.co.uk...ects_liability

This may help. Can ask my wife some of the more technical questions if you need.

Old 15-08-2017, 10:23 AM
Throw

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jethro View Post

This may help. Can ask my wife some of the more technical questions if you need.
Cheers pal.

Old 15-08-2017, 10:27 AM
Cream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jethro View Post

A man who seeks guidance from his woman.

Old 15-08-2017, 10:29 AM
Jethro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cream View Post
A man who seeks guidance from his woman.

She designs it, I chuck the equipment in.

Old 15-08-2017, 11:19 AM
dodger

It doesn't sound like an issue at all to me. I would think you already have an idea of what you want and how the rooms will be. A good builder will be able to do the kind of drawings you/he needs anyway so I'm not sure why you need an architect. It just adds a link to the chain that you don't need imo.
If you're particular about having an architect involved then go with the one who impresses you most.
The key to all this is getting the right builder and project managing the whole thing, either by yourself or by somebody else.

Old 15-08-2017, 11:59 AM
Throw

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger View Post
It doesn't sound like an issue at all to me. I would think you already have an idea of what you want and how the rooms will be. A good builder will be able to do the kind of drawings you/he needs anyway so I'm not sure why you need an architect. It just adds a link to the chain that you don't need imo.
If you're particular about having an architect involved then go with the one who impresses you most.
The key to all this is getting the right builder and project managing the whole thing, either by yourself or by somebody else.
Cheers Dodge - wise words. I asked him about qualifications, and this is what he said.

Quote:
In terms of qualifications I have a degree Ba arch, and a diploma, which is part 2. I have never fully got part 3, which is the final qualification with which you then become totally qualified, (so legally can't use the term architect). I have many years experience of being self employed and worked previously for large some practices. All my works have always come via recommendation, including from other architects. I have 1m of pi insurance. The only real difference to me being totally qualified is bank certification which I cannot undertake, but use a colleague to issue when necessary on our behalf. This would not be necessary on your project

Old 15-08-2017, 12:07 PM
dodger

Quote:
Cheers Dodge - wise words. I asked him about qualifications, and this is what he said.
I honestly don't think his insurance or further qualifications make any difference. His brief is basically a design one in this case so I don't see where it can go wrong in that instance.
Ideally, with any trade, somebody you know should have recommended them. It's not always possible but get as close as you can to it.

Old 15-08-2017, 12:10 PM
Throw

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger View Post
I honestly don't think his insurance or further qualifications make any difference. His brief is basically a design one in this case so I don't see where it can go wrong in that instance.
Ideally, with any trade, somebody you know should have recommended them. It's not always possible but get as close as you can to it.
Yep he's been recommended, just waiting to speak to some of his former clients.

Old 15-08-2017, 12:53 PM
Cream

Quote:
Yep he's been recommended, just waiting to speak to some of his former clients.
What are you gonna do, go round with a camcorder and doorstep them?

Let them get on with their lives ffs.

Old 15-08-2017, 01:27 PM
Throw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cream
What are you gonna do, go round with a camcorder and doorstep them?

Let them get on with their lives ffs.

https://youtu.be/nZxLrhtdh_k

Pretty much. Kick a few windows, bang on the walls, piss on the bathroom floor.