United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Not Football related > Science & Technology

Old 14-08-2017, 03:48 PM
silv

Quote:
Originally Posted by no fun View Post
Never done a days graft in his life, spends most of his time poncing round soho drinking coffee and having 3 hour lunch breaks
the absolute saint.

Old 14-08-2017, 03:49 PM
Throw

Quote:
Originally Posted by red red robbo View Post
Looking at their website, and reading between the lines, it seems that an associate member may not be chartered.

What practical difference that makes I don't really know, probably nothing. If it is anything like engineering, the more letters you have after your name the less capable you are of doing the job.

As you are only doing up a house, and not building a bridge across the channel then I would say the local knowledge and recommendations are probably more important to you.

Just make sure he has the appropriate insurances
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jethro View Post
He'll have had to have completed his part 1 and 2. But if he's working on his own and hasn't completed his part 3 I'd tread carefully. He could f*** everything up and not be liable.
[quote=razzle;4773742]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Throw View Post
Cheers Rzzle - he has 1m in PI cover - enough? Gonna look at some of his other projects as well.

As long as that's enough to cover your losses if it goes tits up

Does he have public liability as well? In case the aforementioned tits up affects other folk

Edit: phone quote shitc***ery
Cheers all - food for thought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster View Post
Oooooo look at me, I'm leaving the battle ship grey house and moving to a 1m mansion being designed by a local hero...

Makes me physically sick.
This one has been painted as well - but gonna sand blast it or whatever they do to get back to the lovely London brick.

Old 14-08-2017, 03:52 PM
irk

I draw pictures loads of houses when I was child. I gather that's basically what architects do. I can knock up few preliminary sketches for very reasonable rates.

Old 14-08-2017, 04:27 PM
denis lawless

I was considering becoming architect .....but found out you had to go to uni for 7 years

As i was only 7 myself at the time and still 11 years away from even starting uni......i decided to sack it

Love buildings though......and im cheaper than irk

Old 14-08-2017, 10:24 PM
MOE1948

I was in the business 30 yrs retired now and never want to see another set of plans.

Old 15-08-2017, 07:25 AM
Child of Darkness

1 million cover is f*** all these days .

I'd tread very carefully here . The references are the key IMO .

Old 15-08-2017, 08:45 AM
Jethro

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOE1948 View Post
I was in the business 30 yrs retired now and never want to see another set of plans.
Not willing to help out a fellow Fredster

Old 15-08-2017, 08:48 AM
Whip Hubley

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOE1948 View Post
Having dealt with many architects I can confirm most have had the life sucked out of them by the age of 40

Old 15-08-2017, 08:58 AM
Cream

Quote:
Originally Posted by irk
I draw pictures loads of houses when I was child. I gather that's basically what architects do. I can knock up few preliminary sketches for very reasonable rates.
Still got that one you designed for me.

Not sure where you were going with the 'urban chic' but showed real talent imho.

Old 15-08-2017, 10:17 AM
Throw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Child of Darkness View Post
1 million cover is f*** all these days .

I'd tread very carefully here . The references are the key IMO .
Good point, but unless I'm being ridiculously naive, wouldn't it be the builder (and structural engineer) who particularly needs the cover? This guy's just gonna lay out where the bedrooms go, rearrange some internal walls that the structural engineer will draw up, and then the builder does all the dangerous heavy lifting?