United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Not Football related > Science & Technology

Old 14-08-2017, 03:01 PM
Throw

Default Any architects on here?

Apologies for the SSG type post (and sorry Scrholesy for taking your name in vain)

In the process of buying a house that's a proper wreck and needs a complete refurb but not much will be structural (and all that stuff would be dealt with by a proper structural engineer).

Talking to a load of builders, engineers and architects etc, and the architect we're most pleased with is apparently 'only' an Associate Member of RIBA. He's a 'one man band' rather than a practice but he's got shit loads of experience with local planning and he's worked on loads of houses in our area. We're just waiting for his references. Anyway, does this mean he's not a proper architect and he's just watched Grand Designs a few times? Is he winging it? Do we need a full RIBA Dude? (or Dude-ess - sorry Northers)

Ta in advance - good rep for proper answers.

Old 14-08-2017, 03:02 PM
razzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throw View Post
Apologies for the SSG type post (and sorry Scrholesy for taking your name in vain)

In the process of buying a house that's a proper wreck and needs a complete refurb but not much will be structural (and all that stuff would be dealt with by a proper structural engineer).

Talking to a load of builders, engineers and architects etc, and the architect we're most pleased with is apparently 'only' an Associate Member of RIBA. He's a 'one man band' rather than a practice but he's got shit loads of experience with local planning and he's worked on loads of houses in our area. We're just waiting for his references. Anyway, does this mean he's not a proper architect and he's just watched Grand Designs a few times? Is he winging it? Do we need a full RIBA Dude? (or Dude-ess - sorry Northers)

Can you speak to any previous clients?

Also, make sure he has plenty of PI cover pal

Old 14-08-2017, 03:02 PM
no fun

I imagine signders could turn his hand to architecture...he built a rabbit hutch, house design isn't that far removed

Where you moving to?

Old 14-08-2017, 03:06 PM
Throw

Quote:
Originally Posted by razzle View Post
Can you speak to any previous clients?

Also, make sure he has plenty of PI cover pal
Cheers Rzzle - he has 1m in PI cover - enough? Gonna look at some of his other projects as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by no fun View Post
I imagine signders could turn his hand to architecture...he built a rabbit hutch, house design isn't that far removed

Where you moving to?
Just round the corner from where we currently are.

Last edited by Throw; 14-08-2017 at 03:09 PM.

Old 14-08-2017, 03:09 PM
red red robbo

Looking at their website, and reading between the lines, it seems that an associate member may not be chartered.

What practical difference that makes I don't really know, probably nothing. If it is anything like engineering, the more letters you have after your name the less capable you are of doing the job.

As you are only doing up a house, and not building a bridge across the channel then I would say the local knowledge and recommendations are probably more important to you.

Just make sure he has the appropriate insurances

Old 14-08-2017, 03:12 PM
Jethro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throw View Post

He'll have had to have completed his part 1 and 2. But if he's working on his own and hasn't completed his part 3 I'd tread carefully. He could f*** everything up and not be liable.

Old 14-08-2017, 03:22 PM
razzle

[quote=Throw;4773731]Cheers Rzzle - he has 1m in PI cover - enough? Gonna look at some of his other projects as well.

As long as that's enough to cover your losses if it goes tits up

Does he have public liability as well? In case the aforementioned tits up affects other folk

Edit: phone quote shitc***ery

Old 14-08-2017, 03:24 PM
Bunker Buster

Oooooo look at me, I'm leaving the battle ship grey house and moving to a 1m mansion being designed by a local hero...

Makes me physically sick.

Old 14-08-2017, 03:29 PM
silv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster View Post
Oooooo look at me, I'm leaving the battle ship grey house and moving to a 1m mansion being designed by a local hero...

Makes me physically sick.
why? he's a working lad done well. Works his fingers to the bone for his family. One of lifes true grafters.

Old 14-08-2017, 03:47 PM
no fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by silv View Post
why? he's a working lad done well. Works his fingers to the bone for his family. One of lifes true grafters.
Never done a days graft in his life, spends most of his time poncing round soho drinking coffee and having 3 hour lunch breaks