Old 17-07-2017, 02:38 PM
jaffo

Quote:
Originally Posted by puressence
Thanks for taking me back on instagram Jaffo
No probs Virg, wasn't aware I took you off tbh

Old 18-07-2017, 06:00 AM
My Name is Keith

Been a couple of times jaff for the 14 course tasting menu. Thought it was superb - possibly one of my fave dining experiences. Lots of drama - dry ice and pot lids being pulled up in sync for the 'reveal' - also lots of tea pots with 'beetroot jus lava' etc. to pour onto stuff.

But, despite that - I found it completely unpretentious - the staff were easy going and it was very relaxing. Just a good laugh. That said, I probably was comparing it to another place I once went to where the maitre de ran the full length of the restaurant to try and stop me putting salt on something - he failed.

The bar upstairs is good for a drink and a post meal bifta.

Do it.

Old 18-07-2017, 06:22 AM
no fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Name is Keith
Lots of drama - dry ice and pot lids being pulled up in sync for the 'reveal' - also lots of tea pots with 'beetroot jus lava' etc. to pour onto stuff.

Oh he'll love that

Old 18-07-2017, 06:33 AM
Knockers

Quote:
Been a couple of times jaff for the 14 course tasting menu. Thought it was superb - possibly one of my fave dining experiences. Lots of drama - dry ice and pot lids being pulled up in sync for the 'reveal' - also lots of tea pots with 'beetroot jus lava' etc. to pour onto stuff.

But, despite that - I found it completely unpretentious - the staff were easy going and it was very relaxing. Just a good laugh. That said, I probably was comparing it to another place I once went to where the maitre de ran the full length of the restaurant to try and stop me putting salt on something - he failed.

The bar upstairs is good for a drink and a post meal bifta.

Do it.
When I went I was furious it wasn't more formal. It cost a wedge so I wanted it to be like the restaurant in Ratatouille. Same with Hawksmoor with their casually dressed, good-looking young staff calling us 'guys'

Went to El Gato Negro last week and it was top. I'd go there, me.

Old 18-07-2017, 06:42 AM
TheNew

Went a couple of years ago, did the tasting menu.

Unlike others, did find it a bit pretentious, the food was theatrical in it's appearance, but nothing quite hit the mark in terms of taste. Can see why it didn't get a Michelin star. It's decent, but not worth the wedge IMO.

Old 18-07-2017, 06:56 AM
My Name is Keith

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNew
Went a couple of years ago, did the tasting menu.

Unlike others, did find it a bit pretentious, the food was theatrical in it's appearance, but nothing quite hit the mark in terms of taste. Can see why it didn't get a Michelin star. It's decent, but not worth the wedge IMO.

Old 18-07-2017, 06:58 AM
TheNew

Quote:

Top red is Big Jay.

Old 18-07-2017, 09:07 AM
shyteds

It’s a very nice setting, the views over Manchester are superb, the bar upstairs I find a bit slow on the drinks front, but the restaurant is fabulous. Staff are very attentive but not in your face, the food is very very good – presentation is consistently excellent I wouldn’t expect anything different, the cheese trolley is divine. They have a few nice beers served in a bokkle.

Re beers, not far from Manchester House is the Gas Lamp and a few yards from that is the Bridge St Tavern, both are ok – opposite side of the road is a bar (I can’t remember the name) which is just a doorway leading downstairs which is worth a trip.
On King St South there are two good bars, Arcane and Wood and Company with are a good stop off for your good lady on the way to the Beermoth which is a fav beer haunt of mine – they have some strong ales and once a barrel has gone it’s replaced by something entirely different.

Old 18-07-2017, 09:09 AM
jaffo

Cheers all, much appreciated.

Old 18-07-2017, 09:10 AM
shyteds

Quote:
Originally Posted by no fun
So jaffos in Manchester 5th august

That could get messy

Brenner took me here once

http://www.thisandthatcafe.co.uk/

Absolute savages....take mrs j there and tell here it's an ironic statement art instillation
This and that, has the owner still got the paper clip report done by the guardian on it being in the top ten cafes in the country on the wall ?
The food is surprisingly very good - if you can get over the visual of its location and facia - oh, and don't go to the toilet until you've eaten.