Default Good article about "rough" old pubs in Manchester

Quote:
'Never drink in a flat-roofed pub': how the old joke became a reality

https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2...hester-estates

Old 11-07-2017, 07:57 AM
no fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert Tatlock
The happy man and the mountain ash were never really considered " rough" compared to other pubs along portway

Can't be too long before all the estate pubs are gone, the estate I'm from had 3, all sadly turned into flats now

Old 11-07-2017, 08:35 AM
waynes ear's

Quote:
Originally Posted by no fun
Can't be too long before all the estate pubs are gone, the estate I'm from had 3, all sadly turned into flats now
the pub you and the other gentlemen came to in Hulme is closed. Brewery sold it to developers who've gutted the inside. The building is up to let. I know they wanted to change it into flats as me and the wife looked seriously into taking it over, however nothing has happened. There happens to be a major gas pipe running under the car park so they cant knock it down and build on it so it's being left to crumble sadly

disgusting really as it was doing alright, as a free house it would have made a killing with the students over the road

Old 11-07-2017, 08:41 AM
no fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynes ear's
the pub you and the other gentlemen came to in Hulme is closed. Brewery sold it to developers who've gutted the inside. The building is up to let. I know they wanted to change it into flats as me and the wife looked seriously into taking it over, however nothing has happened. There happens to be a major gas pipe running under the car park so they cant knock it down and build on it so it's being left to crumble sadly

disgusting really as it was doing alright, as a free house it would have made a killing with the students over the road
Very sad....first house I ever lived in was about 50 yards from that pub

Like you say, that area has a population that might have made the pub a viable business

Old 11-07-2017, 08:51 AM
waynes ear's

Quote:
Originally Posted by no fun
Very sad....first house I ever lived in was about 50 yards from that pub

Like you say, that area has a population that might have made the pub a viable business
yep. Managed to negotiate them down to 2000 a month rent. Totaled it up to get everything up and running (deposit, couple of months rent, getting licences, refrigeration, gas and electric and stock) got estimates for some redecoration and cleaning up on the outside . We were all ready to get on with it when the agent rang and said the directors wouldn't include the living area upstairs as part of the deal.

I walked away

edit: forgot to say, its got a flat roof

Old 11-07-2017, 11:57 AM
sub three hours

Not a single pub left on Langley.