United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Not Football related > Other Sports & Fitness

Old 28-03-2017, 12:45 PM
Mr_Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by elephantstone View Post
im going to start running again, I need to shift a bit of timber.
That was my plan... put on two ibs running 20 miles a week and putting weight on ffs

Old 28-03-2017, 12:46 PM
wiganste

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Ed View Post
That was my plan... put on two ibs running 20 miles a week and putting weight on ffs
muscle weighs more than fat

Old 28-03-2017, 12:53 PM
Whip Hubley

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiganste View Post
true, but running 20 miles a week won't be building much muscle depending on exactly what he's doing

running to lose weight is difficult because of the sheer time you need to put in to shift anything like a decent amount of calories...... Nordic skiing on the other hand..... do you live in scandinavia by any chance ed

Old 28-03-2017, 01:04 PM
AK14

Thumbs up

As suggested I'd think about doing a couch to 5k or even 10k. it'll give you structure and also you'll build up to a distance correctly and you won't be tempted to do to much to soon and risk injury

You should see progress on every run when you first start out, it's later on when you'll stop seeing any progress and thats where the structure of the CT5k will be useful

When you start to see really good progress look into adding a few hill sessions and tempo runs, that should take you onto the next level

Get the correct fitted trainer for your foot type too.

Old 28-03-2017, 01:07 PM
Gypsum Fantastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whip Hubley View Post

running to lose weight is difficult because of the sheer time you need to put in to shift anything like a decent amount of calories...... Nordic skiing on the other hand..... do you live in scandinavia by any chance ed
complete balls tbh. depends on the person and distance/how often/how fast they're running

Old 28-03-2017, 01:10 PM
AK14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Ed View Post
What sort of thing are you doing, Are you just going through the motions and plodding along?

As silv said try some sprints, or if there's a decent size hill near you do some hill runs. Walk to the bottom of the hill and run like f*** up it, repeat as many times as you can and look to add one-two every session.

Old 28-03-2017, 01:11 PM
Whip Hubley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsum Fantastic View Post
complete balls tbh. depends on the person and distance/how often/how fast they're running
so, er, not complete balls then depending on the person and distance, pace etc?

I should have qualified that it's difficult to lose weight running depending on if you're consuming 4000 calories worth of cake every day and potentially compared to other forms of activity, but I have to presume some intelligence on the part of the reader. Obviously I won't make that mistake in future.

Old 28-03-2017, 01:13 PM
AK14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whip Hubley View Post
so, er, not complete balls then depending on the person and distance, pace etc?

I should have qualified that it's difficult to lose weight running depending on if you're consuming 4000 calories worth of cake every day and potentially compared to other forms of activity, but I have to presume some intelligence on the part of the reader. Obviously I won't make that mistake in future.

Old 28-03-2017, 01:14 PM
Cream

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiganste View Post
This. He's probably putting lean muscle on. Bone density can increase and all sorts. Measure your fat loss, not weight.

I used to love running. Was a natural.

Recently started walking on our running machine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe View Post
As part of getting life back on track I started back at the gym last week and have also started to run. I'm giving myself 30 minutes to see how far I can get. Managed a PB today of 4.2km and feeling pretty proud and hoping o break 5km tomorrow. Might not sound a lot but I did 2.8km last Wednesday when I started and nearly keeled over.

What a "good" distance over 30 minutes that I should realistically aim for?
Don't aim for distance, aim only for time spent without stopping. When you can run for an hour, start looking at fast 5k times, fartlek (pardon) etc.

Old 28-03-2017, 01:28 PM
elephantstone

I started doing spinning again, which is pretty intense and not massively load bearing on the joints.