Old 05-03-2017, 11:38 PM
f*** KFC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck
Gav, go to bed.
prefer if he went to the bottom of a lake tbh...a very deep one

Old 06-03-2017, 12:04 AM
gav81

And just a few on Keane's people skills/man-management too because we were discussing it: -

“Off the field as a captain he was amazing, especially to us young lads. He’d look after us with contracts and things like that. He used to pick me up occasionally for training and take me home. He was a really great guy and I cannot thank him enough for everything he did for me.”

~Luke Chadwick

“He was hard on me but he was always fair. If he spoke to me 10 times, nine were compliments. If I was late, Roy would let me know. If my passing wasn't on in training then Roy would let me know.

“People remember the controversial stories and the times he went mental. But the rest of the time he made me feel on top of the world.

“What about the story where I've been out for two months and Roy says loudly, ‘I am glad this lad's back. We have missed him’. That's not a great story. It's a better story to say, ‘Remember that time Roy nailed Fletch in the dressing room for looking at his phone’.

“That did happen, yeah. But it was rare and that was just about standards. It was his way of getting a message to everybody. That is what it was like at United.

“I just watched Roy and learned, but above all of that I just liked him."

~Darren Fletcher

“I remember when Diego Forlán came in, and it wasn’t quite happening for him. If a player tried – and Diego did – we’d drag him with us; we’d try and help him. Plenty of praise in training, or during games; not getting on his back. Diego was honest, so in training you’d go, ‘Unlucky; it’ll come good tomorrow’, not ‘You can do feckin’ better than that.’”

~Roy Keane

“That season when I signed for Sunderland I only played about 10 games because I had a hairline fracture in my spine.

“Throughout that season I was very upset and I put on a lot of weight and I got bigger. But just before the end Roy took me into his office and we had a massive conversation.

“He inspired me to go away in the summer and come back in better shape than I had ever been in. I went and played very well the following season.

“He gave me some strong words of encouragement to go and do that and I will always appreciate it.

“A lot of people don’t know him on a personal level but he definitely has that side to him.”

~Kieran Richardson, Sunderland

“People have got entirely the wrong idea about the gaffer. They remember him as a player, when he was all about winning, and they automatically think he must be a bit of a madman in the dressing room.

“I wish I could take some of our fans in there because they would be amazed at how he really is. Yes, we get the hairdryer from time to time but only when we really deserve it. He tells it like it is but certainly doesn’t rant and rave just for the sake of it.

“He is actually quite calm most of the time and he is brilliant at taking the pressure off the players.”

~David Norris, Ipswich

"The guy was great for me and great for everyone at the football club. So for me this is all absolute nonsense what has been written about him, absolute nonsense. There wasn’t even any bad words on anything and that is the disappointing thing. To use the word 'poisonous' as a headline is shocking.

You can ask any member of staff what they thought of him. He has got a lot of commitments following the Irish national team so I have got nothing but thanks to Roy for coming in.”

~Paul Lambert, Aston Villa

“I think you see a different side to Roy than we do. I think when he first came in everyone was a little bit on edge as you would be with Roy Keane. But as time has gone on he's fine to talk to. He's there for advice and he's a good coach. I think he's really enjoying it as well which is important.”

Seamus Coleman, Ireland

"I think Roy’s reputation in the media proceeds [sic] him slightly. He definitely comes across as being a little bit scarier on TV than he is in real life.

"Of course he doesn't come in singing and dancing in the morning! But he is a friendly man to speak to and very helpful if you have any questions."

~Eunan O'Kane, Ireland

So summing that up: amazing, great guy, cannot thank him enough, fair, compliments, made me feel on top of the world, liked him, praise, inspired me, words of encouragement, appreciate it, amazed at how he really is, quite calm, brilliant at taking the pressure off, great for me, great for everyone, nothing but thanks, fine to talk to, there for advice, friendly man and very helpful.

Don't believe everything you read in the rags.

I've got more if you need it.

Old 06-03-2017, 01:05 AM
VodkaAndCoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by gav81
And just a few on Keane's people skills/man-management too because we were discussing it: -

“Off the field as a captain he was amazing, especially to us young lads. He’d look after us with contracts and things like that. He used to pick me up occasionally for training and take me home. He was a really great guy and I cannot thank him enough for everything he did for me.”

~Luke Chadwick

“He was hard on me but he was always fair. If he spoke to me 10 times, nine were compliments. If I was late, Roy would let me know. If my passing wasn't on in training then Roy would let me know.

“People remember the controversial stories and the times he went mental. But the rest of the time he made me feel on top of the world.

“What about the story where I've been out for two months and Roy says loudly, ‘I am glad this lad's back. We have missed him’. That's not a great story. It's a better story to say, ‘Remember that time Roy nailed Fletch in the dressing room for looking at his phone’.

“That did happen, yeah. But it was rare and that was just about standards. It was his way of getting a message to everybody. That is what it was like at United.

“I just watched Roy and learned, but above all of that I just liked him."

~Darren Fletcher

“I remember when Diego Forlán came in, and it wasn’t quite happening for him. If a player tried – and Diego did – we’d drag him with us; we’d try and help him. Plenty of praise in training, or during games; not getting on his back. Diego was honest, so in training you’d go, ‘Unlucky; it’ll come good tomorrow’, not ‘You can do feckin’ better than that.’”

~Roy Keane

“That season when I signed for Sunderland I only played about 10 games because I had a hairline fracture in my spine.

“Throughout that season I was very upset and I put on a lot of weight and I got bigger. But just before the end Roy took me into his office and we had a massive conversation.

“He inspired me to go away in the summer and come back in better shape than I had ever been in. I went and played very well the following season.

“He gave me some strong words of encouragement to go and do that and I will always appreciate it.

“A lot of people don’t know him on a personal level but he definitely has that side to him.”

~Kieran Richardson, Sunderland

“People have got entirely the wrong idea about the gaffer. They remember him as a player, when he was all about winning, and they automatically think he must be a bit of a madman in the dressing room.

“I wish I could take some of our fans in there because they would be amazed at how he really is. Yes, we get the hairdryer from time to time but only when we really deserve it. He tells it like it is but certainly doesn’t rant and rave just for the sake of it.

“He is actually quite calm most of the time and he is brilliant at taking the pressure off the players.”

~David Norris, Ipswich

"The guy was great for me and great for everyone at the football club. So for me this is all absolute nonsense what has been written about him, absolute nonsense. There wasn’t even any bad words on anything and that is the disappointing thing. To use the word 'poisonous' as a headline is shocking.

You can ask any member of staff what they thought of him. He has got a lot of commitments following the Irish national team so I have got nothing but thanks to Roy for coming in.”

~Paul Lambert, Aston Villa

“I think you see a different side to Roy than we do. I think when he first came in everyone was a little bit on edge as you would be with Roy Keane. But as time has gone on he's fine to talk to. He's there for advice and he's a good coach. I think he's really enjoying it as well which is important.”

Seamus Coleman, Ireland

"I think Roy’s reputation in the media proceeds [sic] him slightly. He definitely comes across as being a little bit scarier on TV than he is in real life.

"Of course he doesn't come in singing and dancing in the morning! But he is a friendly man to speak to and very helpful if you have any questions."

~Eunan O'Kane, Ireland

So summing that up: amazing, great guy, cannot thank him enough, fair, compliments, made me feel on top of the world, liked him, praise, inspired me, words of encouragement, appreciate it, amazed at how he really is, quite calm, brilliant at taking the pressure off, great for me, great for everyone, nothing but thanks, fine to talk to, there for advice, friendly man and very helpful.

Old 06-03-2017, 06:51 AM
Sapien

You have to admire gav's commitment here. He's put together a good argument.

Old 06-03-2017, 06:54 AM
Zorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drexl
go and get the guitar

Old 06-03-2017, 02:24 PM
Jammy Dodger

Quote:
Are you kidding me?...

... I think that's enough on Keano's motivational ability. So far as I'm concerned he's second only to Fergie. Oh and because you mentioned it, he likes a read of sports psychology books too.
I don't doubt it as a player. There's far more to motivation and man management as a manager, which is why he's decided to become an assistant to learn the trade. Robson was a better leader and more inspirational as a player btw, and keane's has so far proven no better than Robson was as a manager. If he was second only to Fergie, he wouldn't be an assistant.

Quote:

A little rule I follow is public statements by people in football mean very little where the truth is concerned, so you kinda wasted your time thinking you were proving something.

Keane can have the united job when he's learnt his trade as assistant and then made a success of his next managerial job. I'd be ecstatic if he made it.

Quote:
You say that as if it's a good thing.

Last edited by Jammy Dodger; 06-03-2017 at 02:33 PM.

Old 06-03-2017, 02:36 PM
believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammy Dodger
I don't doubt it as a player. There's far more to motivation and man management as a manager, which is why he's decided to become an assistant to learn the trade. Robson was a better leader and more inspirational as a player btw, and keane's has so far proven no better than Robson was as a manager. If he was second only to Fergie, he wouldn't be an assistant.

Be ideal if someone needs a lift home though

Old 06-03-2017, 03:34 PM
gav81

Quote:
Come on Jammy, I made a big point of addressing this mid way down the post: -

Quote:
That was as a player but Keane led by his will and that is a leadership skill transferable from captain to manager. Thus why 6 months before their fallout, Fergie said this: -

"But when I do move on I would like to see Roy Keane taking over.

"He is a leader on the pitch and he could be that kind of leader sitting on the Manchester United bench, too."

~Alex Ferguson, April 2005

And so it has proven: -

“He (Keane) wants better things all the time and he is a great manager to have around you. He is always trying to get the best out of everyone and produce a great team.

“As a player, it has got to come from yourself, a bit of belief and a bit of drive and a bit of will to win. But the manager has a big influence on that. The lads are oozing with confidence now.”

~Phil Bardsley, Sunderland

“People look at him and think he is an angry manager, but he gets the best out of players. He got the best out of me.

“I think he would be a great manager now given the opportunity, I really do think that.”

~Danny Higginbotham, Sunderland

"He told me to believe in my ability and, having played in the same position, he taught me a few things about the game which are really helping now. He was very good at building my confidence up.

"I've been on the receiving end of a few of his dressing-room tantrums, but he only did that when it was deserved, when the team hadn't performed. And, much as he could really dish it out, he was always very quick to praise you when you did well."

~Jack Colback, Ipswich

“Every time I'm around the squad, he's flooded me with confidence and he's one of the main reasons for my success, so I thank Roy for all his help.”

~Jack Grealish, Aston Villa

“Personally speaking he was fantastic for me. He always made me feel good and he always put in some good finishing sessions. I can’t speak highly enough of him and for me he was fantastic.”

~Darren Bent, Aston Villa

“Roy was buoyant. He reminded me that you can't get dispirited. He looked at the fixture list and said, 'We've got Gibraltar away, Georgia and Germany at home, we can win those.' We had enough games to turn it around. His positivity, I recognised it and felt it. I never feel Roy is anything else."

~Martin O'Neill (credits Keano for pep talk after 1-1 draw with Scotland in Euro 16 qualifying)

“If you don't have a burning desire to play after talking to Roy Keane, you're probably best off giving up.”

~Harry Arter, Republic of Ireland

“He’d lead my team and inspire them.”

~Eric Cantona (on Keane's inclusion in his all time World XI)

I think that's enough on Keano's motivational ability. So far as I'm concerned he's second only to Fergie. Oh and because you mentioned it, he likes a read of sports psychology books too.

Also Fergie was an assistant under Jock Stein at Scotland and it didn't hurt him.

Quote:
A little rule I follow is public statements by people in football mean very little where the truth is concerned, so you kinda wasted your time thinking you were proving something.
Depends if there's the possibility of an ulterior motive. Which in the case of the testimony I provided there isn't, especially since it's all corroborative.

Old 06-03-2017, 03:58 PM
red in cumbria

Jesus, you're STILL at it??

Old 06-03-2017, 04:02 PM
Zorg

And that's Phil Bardsley, so...

Closed Thread