United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Not Football related > Science & Technology

Old 07-02-2017, 05:38 PM
ScarFace

You're right and you're wrong.

Virgin have always throttled stuff past a certain download number.

The time is 4pm -11pm. If you download more than 3 gig during that time, your speed is halved until 11pm.

This used to not be the case for 200 vivid package users but it now is.

To avoid the times above and be able to download unlimited 24/7 you need to upgrade to vivid gamer. its 200 down, 20up ( thats the upgraded part ) and you never get throttled.

Also sometimes it can be because they've oversubscribed your local area. Meaning too many people are on your network, so it slows the speeds during peak times.

This has all happened since branson sold it to those new f***ers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silv
what on earth could you need all that speed for anyway?
The huge speeds of 200meg is misleading. You don't download at that speed, you download at 20mb per sec. It's always about 10% of that speed test number. ( this is normal, not a scam, 20mb per sec is very fast )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster
Internet is constantly brilliant, the TiVo box is vile.
Have you not upgraded to the new v6 tivo box? Its brilliant.

Its about a 1/4 of the size. Zero lag. Very fast, no noise and if you ring them its about 60quid to upgrade.

Here is picture of the old n the new

I agree the old one was dogshit slow and noisy

Old 07-02-2017, 06:25 PM
Cream

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarFace
You're right and you're wrong.

Virgin have always throttled stuff past a certain download number.

The time is 4pm -11pm. If you download more than 3 gig during that time, your speed is halved until 11pm.

This used to not be the case for 200 vivid package users but it now is.

To avoid the times above and be able to download unlimited 24/7 you need to upgrade to vivid gamer. its 200 down, 20up ( thats the upgraded part ) and you never get throttled.

Also sometimes it can be because they've oversubscribed your local area. Meaning too many people are on your network, so it slows the speeds during peak times.

This has all happened since branson sold it to those new f***ers.

The huge speeds of 200meg is misleading. You don't download at that speed, you download at 20mb per sec. It's always about 10% of that speed test number. ( this is normal, not a scam, 20mb per sec is very fast )

Have you not upgraded to the new v6 tivo box? Its brilliant.

Its about a 1/4 of the size. Zero lag. Very fast, no noise and if you ring them its about 60quid to upgrade.

Here is picture of the old n the new

I agree the old one was dogshit slow and noisy
Well if you half my 200meg connection I should still be getting 100, not f***ing 10.

Also, I read it was upload speeds they halved? Pls confirm.

I'll be getting one of those boxes FOR FREE.

Old 07-02-2017, 06:35 PM
ScarFace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cream
Well if you half my 200meg connection I should still be getting 100, not f***ing 10.

Also, I read it was upload speeds they halved? Pls confirm.

I'll be getting one of those boxes FOR FREE.
No, they limit your download n upload, if you download more than 3 gig during peak times ( unless on the new unlimited gamer package for 5 extra ).

The speeds you're getting are bad, you need to complain. Have you tried rebooting? Have you been downloading/streaming alot?

If you have, a reboot should improve speed.

If it doesn't ring them, you may have an issue with your "power levels"...they can tell this from their end and if you do they can solve it.

Do you use torrents? you need to stop. In the last 2weeks all uk isp's are sending out letters warning people if they detect torrent usage.

The warnings have no teeth but still you dont want it. To avoid being detected, just use a vpn or seedbox.

BTW, unless you complain to virgin, they dont know there is an issue and it takes x amount of local complaints before it triggers a fault flag in your area.

Ring 151. Do it before 8pm or you'll get put through to India.

Old 07-02-2017, 06:40 PM
Fat Al

Quote:
No, they limit your download n upload, if you download more than 3 gig during peak times ( unless on the new unlimited gamer package for 5 extra ).

The speeds you're getting are bad, you need to complain. Have you tried rebooting? Have you been downloading/streaming alot?

If it doesn't ring them, you may have an issue with your "power levels"...they can tell this from their end and if you do they can solve it.

Do you use torrents? you need to stop. In the last 2weeks all uk isp's are sending out letters warning people if they detect torrent usage.

The warnings have no teeth but still you dont want it. To avoid being detected, just use a vpn or seedbox.

BTW, unless you complain to virgin, they dont know there is an issue and it takes x amount of local complaints before it triggers a fault flag in your area.

Any torrents or just torrents from sources they deem as 'dodgy'?
A lot of open source software is distributed via torrents to reduce bandwidth demand on their servers.

Old 07-02-2017, 06:42 PM
Cream

Quote:

I'm waiting on 150 after a reboot. Just gonna try and get an engineer out. We're leaving in May thank f***, may as well get an advertised 50 gig with BT or whoever and pay less.

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Speed/bd-p/Speed

Check the threads, including poor saps on vivid gamer...

Just downloaded a couple of things and voila: cut my download speed to 1/4.

Old 07-02-2017, 06:47 PM
Sapien

Last edited by Sapien; 07-02-2017 at 06:59 PM.

Old 07-02-2017, 06:58 PM
ScarFace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Al
Any torrents or just torrents from sources they deem as 'dodgy'?
A lot of open source software is distributed via torrents to reduce bandwidth demand on their servers.
ALL torrents. Stupid innit.

All uk isp's signed up to this scheme to send up to 2mil warning letters/emails to customers who download just 1meg of torrented files.

The warnings mean nothing, it will just send you "educational bumf" but thats for now, i'm sure it will come with teeth later on.

Sky however due to them disliking movie stuff, have said if they have to send the warnings a few times, will ask you to delete torrent software or risk having your internet turned off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cream
I'm waiting on 150 after a reboot. Just gonna try and get an engineer out. We're leaving in May thank f***, may as well get an advertised 50 gig with BT or whoever and pay less.

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Speed/bd-p/Speed

Check the threads, including poor saps on vivid gamer...

Just downloaded a couple of things and voila: cut my download speed to 1/4.
yup its the over subscribed issue since the c***s who took over virginmedia.

I dont get 200meg now on speed tests until midnight onwards. i get about 100.

Old 07-02-2017, 07:19 PM
dunk

Thumbs up

Just switched from Sky to Vodafone for broadband and phone line. 78meg, obvs not absurd like the 200meg from Virgin, but it's decent enough, and the router is good.

Need to investigate this VPN nonesense.

Old 07-02-2017, 08:14 PM
MUFC One Love

Never had an issue with them until recently. Gone pretty poor.

Old 07-02-2017, 08:18 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
ALL torrents. Stupid innit.

All uk isp's signed up to this scheme to send up to 2mil warning letters/emails to customers who download just 1meg of torrented files.

The warnings mean nothing, it will just send you "educational bumf" but thats for now, i'm sure it will come with teeth later on.

Sky however due to them disliking movie stuff, have said if they have to send the warnings a few times, will ask you to delete torrent software or risk having your internet turned off.

yup its the over subscribed issue since the c***s who took over virginmedia.

I dont get 200meg now on speed tests until midnight onwards. i get about 100.
All torrent sites are blocked on my isp anyway....i have to use a proxy...does that still show up?