United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Not Football related > Science & Technology

Old 07-02-2017, 10:20 AM
Cream

Default Virgin Media are throttling broadband speeds - avoid

After midnight:

This morning:

Never had a problem in the past, and I'm on the 200mb package so they have no excuse. Apparently they've over subscribed massively in several areas of the UK and instead of saying they throttle, they've made up a peak time fault code that they cannot solve without physically expanding their broadband infrastructure - which will take years. So it's a fault... not a scam.

anybody else being ripped off by these evil bastards?

Old 07-02-2017, 10:23 AM
silv

what on earth could you need all that speed for anyway?

Old 07-02-2017, 10:26 AM
itisme_panaflex

Quote:
Originally Posted by silv
nothing legal anyway

I am positive that my service provider is turning down the bits. My internet is borderline stone age at peak times. SAD.

Old 07-02-2017, 10:26 AM
Baron

Absolute f**king useless c***s of the highest order.

Our broadband was dead on it's arse, less than 1mb/s at peak hours, completely f**ked. Spoke to the neighbours, no such issues. Nothing on their website re. a fault in the area. Spoke to their customer services & they advised there was a fault in the area & it wouldn't get fixed for 6-8 weeks

Refused to pay the bill, they agreed & charged 13 a month for two months.

Eventually we told them to send a f**king engineer or they'd be getting nothing.

He pitched up & sorted some cowboy bodge the last c*** has done on our connection to the box / exchange etc & boom, back over 100mb/s.

Useless, useless w****rs. & their box is a piece of f**king shit as well. It's like Steven Hawking if he had Windows Vista or something.

Virgin are scum.

Old 07-02-2017, 10:39 AM
Cream

Quote:
Originally Posted by silv
Well for a start, watching a LEGAL stream at source speed requires over 50mb IME.

The world's moved on, Silv. Come with us.

Old 07-02-2017, 10:46 AM
Jethro

6 months of back and forth with them. Eventually emailed the CEO and someone got back to me in a day. Only had a broadband package and for 2 more a month they offered me TV with sports and films plus a 200mbps speed package.

It's much, much better. Best way is to act the c*** and kick up a shitstorm

Old 07-02-2017, 10:54 AM
prunier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron
Virgin are scum.
Can confirm.

If you live anywhere that is densely populated, forget it. The way they set up their network is totally shit.

They quite happily oversell their product and their UBRs get overloaded and you're left with a connection which is equivalent to a dial up modem in 1996.

Old 07-02-2017, 10:55 AM
Sapien

I have VM and live in a reasonably densely populated area. My broadband speeds are great, tbh.

Old 07-02-2017, 10:58 AM
Throw

3 years of hell and lies seems to have been resolved just before Christmas. Everything Cream has said is true.

Old 07-02-2017, 11:06 AM
Jethro

My favourite reply on the forums is 'have you tested ethernet or wireless?'

I got a warning for railing on someone on there. Some posters are thick nqat, but the way the mods treat you boils my piss.