United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Everything else > Other Sports & Fitness

Old 17-01-2017, 02:24 PM
BarryX

Quote:
Originally Posted by no fun
I love all of that, but my favourite bit is where the camera pans in on those 4 investment bankers in the crowd wearing flat caps and Barbour coats....the happiness on their ruddy cheeked faces makes me proud to be English

Come on our well bred, well nourished big lads from posh schools, do your bit for Blighty !
Load of tosh, that, what, what.

As mentioned on here before, I coach a junior team in a small town down south (which is surrounded by a number of posh schools). The vast majority of the 30 odd lads that come down, twice a week, are from the local academies and love it. It's a tough game, at whatever age you play it, with lots of big hits and plenty of skill in the back line. Furthermore, it's fully inclusive: there's a place in the team for you, no matter what your shape or size (or economic background). It's a sport that nurtures commitment, team building and fitness; one where lifelong friendships can be made. Coming from what I understand is your line of work, I'm a little shocked that you're not more positive about.

Old 17-01-2017, 02:29 PM
TripDownMiseryLane

Quote:
Originally Posted by irk
I like the bit when the big fellas move the ball five yards and all fall on it for five minutes and you cant see whats happening until the referee blows for a penalty that doesnt help anyone and they kick the ball out for a throw in and do it again. Magical.
That's called Bugger time on the playing fields of Eton and other schools of note.

Old 17-01-2017, 02:41 PM
hopkins

Well said bazza

Old 17-01-2017, 03:46 PM
AK14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryX
Load of tosh, that, what, what.

As mentioned on here before, I coach a junior team in a small town down south (which is surrounded by a number of posh schools). The vast majority of the 30 odd lads that come down, twice a week, are from the local academies and love it. It's a tough game, at whatever age you play it, with lots of big hits and plenty of skill in the back line. Furthermore, it's fully inclusive: there's a place in the team for you, no matter what your shape or size (or economic background). It's a sport that nurtures commitment, team building and fitness; one where lifelong friendships can be made. Coming from what I understand is your line of work, I'm a little shocked that you're not more positive about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Bqrh04aHmU

If people think rugby is exclusively for the posh they should come and watch a game in the Welsh valleys

Anyway, back on topic.

I can't see past England again tbh

Although they've got a mass of injuries their the wealthiest union in the world and have the biggest player pool to pick from, no excuses then...

Old 17-01-2017, 03:58 PM
vanpalm87

Although they've got a mass of injuries their the wealthiest union in the world and have the biggest player pool to pick from, no excuses then...[/quote]

Ireland have a decent squad, England or Ireland for me.

Old 17-01-2017, 04:06 PM
BarryX

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK14

If people think rugby is exclusively for the posh they should come and watch a game in the Welsh valleys

Anyway, back on topic.

Although they've got a mass of injuries their the wealthiest union in the world and have the biggest player pool to pick from, no excuses then...
That's a fair call. Main thing for me is that Itoje's back and Farrel's kicking again. Also, with Jones in charge, I'd expect the squad players coming in to raise their game. Still think it'll be tight, though, with a few surprises along the way - think most of the coaches are going to have their eye on the world cup and blooding some younger players on the big stage. Fancy Scotland to pick up a shock result or two...

Old 17-01-2017, 04:30 PM
AK14

Big competition for Itoje, he's not unknown any more and teams will be looking for weaknesses in his game that they can exploit..... trouble for every one else is I'm not sure he's got any weaknesses

Alun Wyn Jones has been named new captain of Wales replacing Warburton. No surprise and should've happened a while ago tbh.

Old 17-01-2017, 04:41 PM
redhegemony

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK14
Big competition for Itoje, he's not unknown any more and teams will be looking for weaknesses in his game that they can exploit..... trouble for every one else is I'm not sure he's got any weaknesses

Alun Wyn Jones has been named new captain of Wales replacing Warburton. No surprise and should've happened a while ago tbh.
Itoje into the back row where he will get to the breakdown quicker and be even more effective.

We'll miss both the Vunipolas as ball carriers though Lawes into the second row will help.

Red cards may play a big part.

Old 17-01-2017, 04:59 PM
Vedder

Old 28-01-2017, 08:00 AM
AK14

Elite English clubs push to limit Six Nations to only five weeks

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/rugby-uni...ns-five-weeks/

Makes sense

Also think that a global season would benefit the NH sides a lot more than the current structure.