United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football

Old 19-09-2017, 04:20 PM
Billy Redface

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammy Dodger
Maybe not spoiled brat territory but it is stating the bleeding obvious territory.
Apparently not, seeing as any suggestion is being met with 'this place ' style responses.

You've also cherry-picked part of the post and, as about four other people replying have done, have ignored the main point.

Anyway, That was 10am and nobody gave a shit then either...... siders has been snided big time here yet again.

Let's watch.....

**popcorn gif**

Old 19-09-2017, 04:21 PM
Jammy Dodger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish
Papering over the cracks with the late goals when the other team lose thier shape yes. We haven't been as good as the results and media suggest that's all Iam saying.
United are not back but we are finally going the right way.
To do it once may be considered a fluke. To do it numerous times...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Redface
That's not the point I'm making. I'm talking specific about the timing of the chances. And the nature of the chances. Really wide open at crucial moments. I'm not talking about teams fashioning chances in general (as is football etc). Types of chances at crucial moments that arent reflected in a 4-0 scoreline.
I find chances in crucial moment are only refelected in scorelines when they go in.

Must admit I struggle to accept winning the champions league final against Chelsea in 2008 because john Terry's crucial chance wasn't reflected in the scoreline. As for the 99 final against Munich.

Last edited by Jammy Dodger; 19-09-2017 at 04:25 PM.

Old 19-09-2017, 04:26 PM
Billy Redface

Quote:
It's no coincidence, no.

We're more confident, fitter and stronger. We've ended a lot of tight games with opposition looking f***ed and hoping to keep the score down. Confidence in the subs too. Rashford, martial, lingard and fellaini have all had a real impact from the bench.

For me,that is the most stark difference to last season. Coupled with how much Matic has improved us and the amount of faith being shown to Mkhitaryan. Constantly subbed last season. Not anymore and he's the one doing a lot of damage late on.

Quote:

I find chances in crucial moment are only refelected in scorelines when they go in.

Must admit I struggle to accept winning the champions league final against Chelsea in 2008 because john Terry's crucial chance wasn't reflected in the scoreline. As for the 99 final against Munich.
Finals, crucial games. Sure. Who cares? They're all about winning. But we're talking about the context of performance and our prospects in coming games.

Not saying it will be an issue or that we won't set up differently/have better concentration in upcoming games..... it's merely an observation that a glut of 4-0 don't reflect complete dominance the scoreline suggests and also mirrors a little of what we suffered from last season.

Old 19-09-2017, 04:39 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whip Hubley
Maybe you shouldn't hold off on that slow clap, given that the previous manager spent 250m in 12 months out of which not a single signing has been a consistent starter so far this season.

Ps sly dig at the Europa noted
If Arsenal win the Europa this season will we still be pretending it has prestige?

Mourinho still inherited a better situation than his predecessor who shall not be named etc.

Quote:

It's definitely not a fluke, which is the positive. This is what Mourinho's teams do. How often we watched his first Chelsea side letting ourselves believe there was hope because they didnt often didn't seem convincing, but they end up winning 2 or 3 nil anyway because they were ruthless.

Way too early to judge this United side, but it's looking quite Mou-ish. Which given his record is a positive for title aspirations.

Last edited by S/Side.Red; 19-09-2017 at 04:43 PM.

Old 19-09-2017, 05:00 PM
Whip Hubley

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red

Mourinho still inherited a better situation than his predecessor who shall not be named etc.
It was moyes squad + a load of shit that needed to be shipped out. Herrera , Rojo and Martial the only actual quality additions after 250m spent. The rest of which could have stayed in the coffers to be spent by a manager who had an actual transfer strategy....

I would imagine arsenal would be absolutely delighted if they won the Europa this season.

Old 19-09-2017, 06:09 PM
red in cumbria

Arsenal winning the EL would have been a genuine achievement for them even when they were better than now. The attempt to downgrade it because Mou won it is rather transparent

Old 19-09-2017, 07:01 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
It was moyes squad + a load of shit that needed to be shipped out. Herrera , Rojo and Martial the only actual quality additions after 250m spent. The rest of which could have stayed in the coffers to be spent by a manager who had an actual transfer strategy....

I would imagine arsenal would be absolutely delighted if they won the Europa this season.
Exactly

The three you mention must have been a good 100m+ of that money, btw. Blind was also excellent in 15/16; just not a Mou player.

There's a natural evolution aspect to a squad that was desperately aging in 2013. The ensuing spend was inevitable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria
Arsenal winning the EL would have been a genuine achievement for them even when they were better than now. The attempt to downgrade it because Mou won it is rather transparent
Would you be able to tell me off the top of your head who Sevilla beat in each of their back-to-back Europa wins, pal?

I suspect not. The attempt to upgrade it is understandable, but it's a trophy that Mourinho himself ridiculed a few years ago.

Old 19-09-2017, 07:06 PM
saffers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jethro
New to Saffers, pol?
Love my haters

Quote:
Maybe you shouldn't hold off on that slow clap, given that the previous manager spent 250m in 12 months out of which not a single signing has been a consistent starter so far this season.

Ps sly dig at the Europa noted
Exaggerating the transfer spend during the mourinho era aswell.

Just sad to see many van gaal fans hate on our club these days!

Old 19-09-2017, 07:17 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by saffers
Love my haters

Exaggerating the transfer spend during the mourinho era aswell.

Just sad to see many van gaal fans hate on our club these days!
292m down according to my research. More if add-ons are activated.

Old 19-09-2017, 07:18 PM
saffers

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
292m down according to my research. More if add-ons are activated.
Exaggerated by 8m then, wow, no need for that imo.

Also, we need to talk about net spend.