United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Not Football related > News, Current Affairs & Politics

Old 25-09-2017, 09:02 AM
92ToBury

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20 times View Post
Where do the existing ones go? Do they just magically disappear?
They get withdrawn over a period of time as they get banked by shops, etc. General public is also encouraged to change them as it gets closer to deadline.

Old 25-09-2017, 10:49 AM
Time For Heroes

Even after the deadline, although shops and high st banks won't change them or accept them, you can take them to the Bank of England no matter how old they are.

Old 25-09-2017, 11:36 AM
no fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time For Heroes View Post
Even after the deadline, although shops and high st banks won't change them or accept them, you can take them to the Bank of England no matter how old they are.
Londoncentric rules again

Old 25-09-2017, 11:42 AM
Sapien

Quote:
Yup. I had to do this with a not insignificant amount of money after they withdrew the old 50 notes from circulation.

Was worried I was going to get investigated for money laundering or something. Was sweating like irk at a diversity workshop whilst I was paying it in.

Old 25-09-2017, 11:48 AM
Time For Heroes

Quote:
Originally Posted by no fun
Londoncentric rules again
You're down in London enough so you'll be okay getting rid of your white five pound notes that you've probably still got hidden under your mattress.

Old 25-09-2017, 04:36 PM
est.1878

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapien View Post
Yup. I had to do this with a not insignificant amount of money after they withdrew the old 50 notes from circulation.

Old 25-09-2017, 04:45 PM
Sapien

Quote:
Originally Posted by est.1878

Took it out and stuck it in a safety deposit box in 2008 when it looked like the financial system was collapsing.

Old 25-09-2017, 05:40 PM
denis lawless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapien View Post

Was worried I was going to get investigated for money laundering or something. Was sweating like irk at a diversity workshop whilst I was paying it in.
Should have kept hold and then sold to banknote dealers at a later date, especially ones in decent condition.......would get more than face value the longer you kept em.

Ask nofun how much an old white fiver is worth nowadays.

Quote:
yes they will....you just have to pay them into an account.

Old 25-09-2017, 08:50 PM
thenorthwillriseagain

been given an old fiver as a tip at work from some w****r, what a ballache