United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Not Football related > News, Current Affairs & Politics

Old 27-09-2016, 12:51 PM
irk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg
I agree actually. We should resist the temptation to blame everything on it. This thread wasn't meant in that way, otherwise I wouldn't have mentioned the company bosses saying they don't see growth being affected. For example, the 'hurdles' blog post says 'I call each of these a “hurdle” – because it is possible that each one of these can be negotiated and jumped over'.

But it's equally stupid to dismiss any discussion of the horrendously complicated task ahead as scaremongering, which is what I'm seeing at the moment. In fact, it's absolutely astonishing that people in positions of authority are seriously suggesting just winging it, no matter what the consequences, when it's something that needs to be approached delicately and intelligently.

The simple fact is, no matter how you voted, there's a highly complex web of issues to sort out - this is fact, not opinion - and it's going to be interesting to say the least to see how they untangle everything without causing too much damage, since all the issues are related. They will affect us all, this is really very important for the people of the UK and Europe, so pardon me if I find it interesting. It's nothing to do with predicting doom.

Just off the top of my head from the blog post

- 2017 will see elections in Germany and France. Do they wait to see who gets in before triggering Article 50?

- How can we talk about democracy, yet allow the (unelected) Prime Minister to use Royal Prerogative to trigger it without any form of Parliamentary debate?

- The UK's WTO membership terms are bundled with the EU’s. That will mean new negotiations, which will take a long time. What attitude will countries like Argentina take to the UK's position?

- Is there a third solution to the Ireland problem other than either a hard border (nightmare) or a united Ireland?

- How will the rights of EU citizens resident in the UK be sorted out, given that, unlike many EU countries, the UK doesn't require foreign citizens to register with anyone when moving there?

And so on.
I agree, largely. Its just got dont really give a f*** other than to say im sick to death of hearing about it. It's just contract negotiations really.

Old 27-09-2016, 12:53 PM
Zorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by irk
I agree, largely. Its just got dont really give a f*** other than to say im sick to death of hearing about it. It's just contract negotiations really.
Fine, don't open the thread then you crazy nincompoop.

Old 27-09-2016, 12:55 PM
irk

Quote:
Fine, don't open the thread then you crazy nincompoop.
Thought it might descend into pun related lols.

Old 27-09-2016, 01:03 PM
Zorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by irk
Thought it might descend into pun related lols.
It's not too late.

Old 27-09-2016, 01:08 PM
Jez Quigley

Question

Quote:
It's not too late.
EU think so?

Old 27-09-2016, 01:14 PM
Zorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jez Quigley
EU think so?

Old 27-09-2016, 01:17 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Duckworth
i still don't think it will happen, not unless it's a completely watered down version anyway.
it's far more likely that we won't bother negotiating an exit because the eu will be an absolute f***ing nightmare and we'll just flounce. a whole bottle of brexit, neat. we might as well just do it now.

Old 27-09-2016, 01:23 PM
doudou

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
it's far more likely that we won't bother negotiating an exit because the eu will be an absolute f***ing nightmare and we'll just flounce. a whole bottle of brexit, neat. we might as well just do it now.
The reason that won't happen is it would be a failure on the UK's part to fulfil its international commitments, showing it up as an unreliable partner on the global stage. That's the kind of thing the markets don't take well to.

Old 27-09-2016, 02:40 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethers
Same plebs that voted to stay in the EU by a massive majority?

It strengthens the argument for another referendum if anything
The thing about another Scottish referendum is, the pro-indy side has got to be sure of winning it this time. If they don't the SNP could well fall to bits like the Quebec separatists did.

Old 27-09-2016, 02:44 PM
redhegemony

Doesn't seem more than a few days go past with No 10 slapping one of the useless 3 (Fox, Johnson, Davies) who are supposed to be sorting this out. They do seem startlingly inept.