United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Not Football related > Other Sports & Fitness

Old 18-06-2016, 01:58 PM
My Name is Keith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spock View Post
definitely road, not bothered by speed, price more important really, only 5-10 miles a day probably
Bought one last week after finding the running becoming too painful. Did a bit of research and ended up at decathlon buying the triban 540. Should have been 600 but is on offer at 500.

Went out this am and thankfully enjoyed it. Traffic and fumes is a big down side after running on the moors previously but I'll get used to it.

Old 18-06-2016, 02:01 PM
Spock

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanRobson'sLiver View Post
Then I'd say a few hundered on a nice hybrid would be best for you. Something like one ofthese would be fine for a little pootle bike to take for a spin every now and then out and about.

http://www.wheelies.co.uk/p73469/Spe...YW0w odsv8KBg

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-50...d_8322664.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by My Name is Keith View Post
Bought one last week after finding the running becoming too painful. Did a bit of research and ended up at decathlon buying the triban 540. Should have been 600 but is on offer at 500.

Went out this am and thankfully enjoyed it. Traffic and fumes is a big down side after running on the moors previously but I'll get used to it.
Thanks chaps

Old 04-07-2016, 01:38 PM
hopkins

trying to make more of an effort to get out at lunchtime, rather than being chained to my desk. cycling through nettles and brambles is good for the spirit, right?

Last edited by hopkins; 04-07-2016 at 02:15 PM.

Old 06-10-2016, 06:35 PM
AK14

Mountain bike or Road bike or even a hybrid bike?

Looking to start again (haven't ridden a bike since I was 14?)

Will be mostly riding on bike paths and roads?

Old 06-10-2016, 06:40 PM
hopkins

Thumbs up

Hybrid, disc brakes, light frame with no suspension . Then you're good for road and trails

Old 06-10-2016, 06:42 PM
AK14

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopkins View Post
Hybrid, disc brakes, light frame with no suspension . Then you're good for road and trails
Awesome

What about basic kit?

Helmet, gloves? Lights, puncture kit........

Old 07-10-2016, 02:26 AM
n48

Decathlon, Evans or Wiggle for buying stuff.

Old 07-10-2016, 08:49 AM
BryanRobson'sLiver

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopkins View Post
I'd avoid disc brakes unless they're hydraulic. Cable discs are a waste of everyones time and energy.

Old 07-10-2016, 09:25 AM
hopkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by n48 View Post
Decathlon, Evans or Wiggle for buying stuff.
planet x are great too
these lights are insane value http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/LIBKLI/bookman-light-set

Old 09-10-2016, 01:25 PM
ScholesGingerSheen

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK14 View Post
Mountain bike or Road bike or even a hybrid bike?

Looking to start again (haven't ridden a bike since I was 14?)

Will be mostly riding on bike paths and roads?
Look for a Cyclocross bike, hybrid bikes tend to have a mish mash of road and 8 speed mountain bike kit and are harder to upgrade, a decent cyclo cross bike will be fast enough for road riding and you won't come unstuck if you hit the odd gravel path or light off road, plus they tend to come with decent road groupsets.

If you're ordering online, consider taking it to a local bikeshop and pay for a tune when it arrives, I got a hybrid from Tredz a few years ago and the wheels have never been right and it's popped spokes with annoying regularity, but of course they're based in f***ing Cardiff so taking it back was never an option