United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Not Football related > Other Sports & Fitness

Old 17-06-2016, 01:11 PM
hopkins

Default cycling/outdoors reds

black dog is getting the better of me, so trying to get out and about on the mountain bike a bit more, and looking for inspiration

downloaded strava to find some local routes and trails along river, canals, old railways etc. trying to fit it in before work/school run, or in evening when kids asleep

i will not turn into a lycra clad racing bike w****r. can see myself chucking a sleeping bag and bivvy in a rucksack though and spending a night under the stars

Old 17-06-2016, 01:18 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopkins View Post
i will not turn into a lycra clad racing bike w****r.
then your balls will f***ing hurt.

Old 17-06-2016, 01:20 PM
Fat Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopkins View Post
black dog is getting the better of me, so trying to get out and about on the mountain bike a bit more, and looking for inspiration

downloaded strava to find some local routes and trails along river, canals, old railways etc. trying to fit it in before work/school run, or in evening when kids asleep

i will not turn into a lycra clad racing bike w****r. can see myself chucking a sleeping bag and bivvy in a rucksack though and spending a night under the stars
Cannock Chase has a lot of good mountain bike trails. I've a couple of friends who race over there quite frequently. Take you about hour/hour & a half to get there.

Old 18-06-2016, 09:09 AM
n48

Macclesfield Forest; Monsal Trail; Goyt Valley; think there's even somewhere in Sport City.

Old 18-06-2016, 09:15 AM
BryanRobson'sLiver

Thumbs up

Al had it right from Notts with Cannock chase, I also like Coed Llandegla (sp?) up near Wrexham. It's got enough to keep experienced and beginners happy and a cracking little cafe always staffed by quite presentable young ladies.

Old 18-06-2016, 09:35 AM
n48

Delamere Forest too.

Old 18-06-2016, 12:51 PM
Spock

How much should I be paying for a very basic "get me from a to b" bike? Seem to go in price from less than a hundred to silly money. Any recommendations on brand

Old 18-06-2016, 12:56 PM
BryanRobson'sLiver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spock View Post
How much should I be paying for a very basic "get me from a to b" bike? Seem to go in price from less than a hundred to silly money. Any recommendations on brand
On road or off it? Do you want super speedy, comfy and naff looking or somewhere inbetween? What sort of milage are you likely to be doing?

Short of having no answer to that Specialized have never made a bad bike in my book, but ask a fair bit for what they are. Theyre sort of the BMW of the bike world.

Old 18-06-2016, 01:01 PM
Spock

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanRobson'sLiver View Post
On road or off it? Do you want super speedy, comfy and naff looking or somewhere inbetween? What sort of milage are you likely to be doing?

Short of having no answer to that Specialized have never made a bad bike in my book, but ask a fair bit for what they are. Theyre sort of the BMW of the bike world.
definitely road, not bothered by speed, price more important really, only 5-10 miles a day probably

Old 18-06-2016, 01:45 PM
BryanRobson'sLiver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spock View Post
definitely road, not bothered by speed, price more important really, only 5-10 miles a day probably
Then I'd say a few hundered on a nice hybrid would be best for you. Something like one ofthese would be fine for a little pootle bike to take for a spin every now and then out and about.

http://www.wheelies.co.uk/p73469/Spe...YW0w odsv8KBg

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-50...d_8322664.html