United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Not Football related > Music > Tissue Island Discs (TID's)
Closed Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 07:19 PM
Brenner

Exclamation Tissue Island Discs #1 - HarkNowHear

Good Evening and a very warm welcome to the very first edition of Tissue Island Discs.

I hope this will be the first of many - and hope you all enjoy the show.

Please Note - Fredsters will have the opportunity to make comments after the interview, so please save your posts until I open the floor to you all

You may wish to slaughter or praise some of our guests' selections; it may or may not broaden your musical horizons, but wait until I give you the nod to join in!

Without further ado - Marooned on the island tonight is our very first guest, HarkNowHear.

Here are the 8 tunes he would like with him to keep him company:

devil gate drive-Suzi Quatro 1974
Was probably just approaching the age where your body starts to change. You know, you start to smell and get erections on the bus or in the classroom for no reason. Seeing her on TOTP in leather and the fact it was a bit different having a female up front. The first record I bought with my own pennies so to speak

White Riot - The Clash 1977
Had been listening to new stuff with a gang of mates . Aware of this Punk Rock thing that was going on and heard this. It kicked my f***ing head in and is still as raw today as it was 30 years ago. Not the bands best work for me, that comes later but an awesome 1 minute 50 odd

What Do I Get? - Buzzc**ks 1978
I was already bored and had w***ed and sneaked in the backdoor with a mucky top shelfer found in the street. Guess this summed up my teenage angst, love and rejection. Also the fact you could proudly boast they were ours.

Heart Of Glass - Blondie 1979
What can I say? She had started to mature alongside me . Very very clever. Looked as beatiful as ever and although a disco track still made me go out and buy it

Gangsters - The Specials 1979
Saw the band supporting the Clash and they impressed me. When I first heard "Bernie Rhodes knows dont argue" the ears pricked up. This is f***ing different. Punk in reality had been comatose for over 12 months and a new direction was required.
Also forced me to explore the Trojan back catalogue for which I will be eternally grateful

London Calling - The Clash 1979
A new decade was beckoning as the 70s were about to fizzle out to the disco beat. That f***in baseline grabbed my balls and the only band that mattered were back in full force. Awesome video shot in the rain and my faith suddenly restored . Although there was a new generation who latched onto what i had known a few years previous. "I never felt a more a like a like a like a"

Love Will Tear Us Apart - Joy Division 1980
Ours, they are ours. Very different as well. What a great song. That front man is a most peculiar dancer and the way they are dressed is not my scene but f*** it they are ours and its a great song.

White Man (In Hammersmith Palais) - The Clash 1978
Save the best until last. The greatest song ever for me. From the first time I heard it live (whaaaaat whitemen can do reggae). The whole story it writes. Midnight to six through sending limousines for the third reich and the drug prowling wolf just looking for fun. An absolute masterpiece that I have played a million times and it still gets me

Good Evening Hark,

A very punk-influenced list of selections - I take it you embraced the punk scene whole-heartedly by dressing up given the fact you seemed to be attending a good few gigs at the time?

Last edited by Brenner; 17-05-2007 at 08:07 PM.

Old 12-04-2007, 07:28 PM
HarkNowHear

Evening Brenner

Dont really know where to start

The beginning is probably a reasonable block from which to start

Kicking a ball around in the garages and looking up to the bigger boys was all well and good and was the norm in the early seventies

Tried to latch onto their fashion, favourite United players( they obviously knew more) and their taste in music

Slade, Bowie, Roxy , T-rex etc appeared to be de rigeur and in all honesty it was fabulous stuff.

Late 76, which funnily enough seemed to coincide with puberty maybe or the young boys rebel fantasies which seemed to encapture a whole new horizon

My own social gathering ( the new recruits) had fortunately switched on to something very very different.

As for the fashion, I was pissed off with shite hairdoes and flares

Old 12-04-2007, 07:34 PM
Brenner

As you've included The Specials "Gangsters" in your list, did you class yourself as one of the disaffected youth of the 70's, or were you happy with life ?

Old 12-04-2007, 07:48 PM
HarkNowHear

I am not sure if I have yet to mature

I am pretty certain though that during the mid seventies and into the late seventies that my generation wasnt allowed the same playing field as previous generations

Life was black and white and it seemed to be the accepted existance for all.

The previous 18 months or so had been refreshing. Politically arrousing for me and world changing in the beat

It stopped as quickly as it had started in reality then this mob from Coventry who were backing the only band that mattered were jiving to a different beat

My ignorance was allowed to explore a brand new tone and the youths had hope

3 day weeks and power cuts were hopefully a thing of the past and dismissal of anything that wasnt born and bred had a tiny hope of accepatnace

Adding this to the previous 18 months was a cry of defiance from the streets

At least that is what it appered to be at the time

I can help to change the world

Old 12-04-2007, 07:55 PM
Brenner

Some interesting observations there Hark

Moving on, The Clash feature prominently in your selections, accounting for 3 out of the 8 tracks allowed - What impact did the split have on you in '86 when Joe Strummer & Mick Jones went their separate ways?

Old 12-04-2007, 08:01 PM
HarkNowHear

Shit

I could leave it at that

Similar to the majority of teenage lads growing up and enduring the peculiar examinations life has to place upon your table

They were mine, well at least mine and probably many others but they meant what they said.

They came, they kicked my arse. They went so quickly then returned as good as ever

With hindsight I know a little more regarding the whys and whynots but the reality was similar to having a circumcision without a local or a general

Havent experienced circumcision but I imagine it hurts

Old 12-04-2007, 08:09 PM
Brenner

We know that this was the period you discovered Suzi Quatro, Blondie and hard-ons, and we understand musically what was going on then for you - but tell us about your memories of United at the time....

Old 12-04-2007, 08:20 PM
HarkNowHear

United

I didnt have an option. The old fella made that an unwritten rule

Loved My Dad

Leading upto my own memories

I know he was at Wolves the day I was born

I know he would have married Besty rather than my Mam

I hadnt seen the babes but was made aware they would have made Real Madrid look like a sunday outfit on Hough End

I start to recognise the football scene

We had won the European cup in 68 and then fell apart

The greatest team in the world had become a mediocre outfit rather quickly

Losing Law, Best and Charlton ( add Storey Moore if you want) over an 18 month period would have crippled any team

This hurts now.......................

Docs Red army benefitted from relegation

We regrouped

Started playing like United again and came back an outfit to be feared rather than laughed at

Our support reamined second to none throughout this period

Im not sure if the political situation and our fans behaviour can be analysed together

I know Bobby Stokes made me cry

I know we stopped the scouse c***s doing the treble

Martin Buchan was genius

Old 12-04-2007, 08:26 PM
Brenner

Finally, as far as your musical selections are concerned, I'll ask you the same question I ask many people who had the privilege of growing up while Joy Division were about - Did you see them play live?

Old 12-04-2007, 08:34 PM
HarkNowHear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenner
Finally, as far as your musical selections are concerned, I'll ask you the same question I ask many people who had the privilege of growing up while Joy Division were about - Did you see them play live?

I must quote you here

I didnt/wasnt aware

I had tickets to see Buzzc**ks

2 nights running

They had a local band supporting them

Warsaw was a name that had been banded around

An ideal for living...............underground market with your wages

Transmission..............thats a tune

They werent erm......punk

f***ed if I know what they were. I do, they were ours and were making a tune that we could respond to.

Ian danced like he knew.......I am sure he did sadly

The rest is history as was the past and the present

I consider myself quite priveleged

same as most teenagers from most eras

Radio
Closed Thread