United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Not Football related > Gaming

Old 01-02-2013, 03:53 PM
Poop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
exactly, nobody wants to lose 1000's of 's worth of games because your hard drive gets corrupted.

like i said in an earlier post. These new consoles will be costing the better part of 400 when they're first released so i want to carefully consider which one i'm going to be using primarily for gaming.
Won't lose them though. They'll be originallydownloaded and locked to a PS4 user account so it would probably be a case of re-downloading them free of charge. Same as the Steam model really.

Still a pain in the brown eye though and a concept console owners wouldn't be too keen on.

Old 01-02-2013, 03:59 PM
Sparky***

i firmly believe it will carry on as the generation before.

Sony will plough all their money into developing new tech which 90% of game developers won't be arsed to make the most of.....while microsoft will throw all their money at the games developers for exclusive content, downloads and early releases on their console, whilst producing a poorly made, technically inferior 'kiddybox'.

Old 01-02-2013, 06:55 PM
Stretlow

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbledinho
Should still be able to buy games cheap on eBay etc. And lend games to mates. Download only stops all that. If download was going to take off it already would have. Most games are still sold in hard copy.
While i'm with you on this, dont you think both console and game developers will be happy to fully control the distribution of games + cut out the cost of producing physical discs and using shops?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poop
There are rumours that it'll be capable of rendering games in 4k resolution. Imagine downloading or streaming something like Metal Gear Solid 5 running at 3840 x 2160? Not to mention an extensive HD audio track. No f***ing thanks.

Anywho, hasn't it been as good as confirmed that it locks pre-owned games from being played on it? That suggests an optical drive will be present.
Quote:
Originally Posted by elhombre
this argument falls down when you see how much the quality of internet connections differs across the board - like poop says, how much data will a new game actually contain? also, how big will the new HDDs need to be to accommodate this?

also, if i want to buy a game, i want a physical, hard copy.... and the ability to swap and buy cheap second hand games easily.
Look how fast internet tech is improving... some ISP's in the Uk, while still being miles behind other countries are testing upwards off 300Meg connections.

Whatever you think of it, this is going to be the norm

Old 01-02-2013, 07:46 PM
waynes ear's

dont mention internet connections to Sparky ffs

Old 01-02-2013, 07:47 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynes ear's
dont mention internet connections to Sparky ffs

oooh i was just about to steam in with a huge rant pol.

Old 01-02-2013, 08:07 PM
Stretlow

Quote:
please do

Old 01-02-2013, 08:12 PM
waynes ear's

Quote:
:fridaywindmills:

Old 01-02-2013, 10:05 PM
bobbledinho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretlow
While i'm with you on this, dont you think both console and game developers will be happy to fully control the distribution of games + cut out the cost of producing physical discs and using shops?
Of course they'd love it but it's the customer they need to keep happy. Bear in mind Sony suing a lad for jailbreaking his own PS3 resulted in the most humiliating event in the company's history. They need to keep people sweet. Indie developers would benefit if from digital only if Sony didn't f*** them over so much.

The big developers will always prefer hard copy because it allows them proper launch days. People queuing up at midnight, plenty of buzz, special editions etc. That's fantastic marketing for them. Imagine a digital only setup where the clock strikes midnight and everyone clicks download...and you wait....and you wait....and the servers go to shit and you wake up and it's only 50% done.

Apple have cracked digital-only sales and even they struggle when a new iOS comes out. Download speeds crawl.

Old 14-02-2013, 09:33 PM
Poop

This gruesome looking thing is supposedly the PS4 controller.

Quote:
While its validity is unconfirmed, Kotaku reports that an 'industry source familiar with the new system' has told the site the device in the image is the 'real deal'.

IGN corroborates, citing a 'trusted source', but adds that it's an 'early prototype' that is likely to change before its final release.

As well as the front-facing touch pad, the prototype in the picture also appears to feature a grill below the touch pad for an internal speaker or microphone, an illuminated panel along the top which could be related to built-in Move-like functionality, and two buttons on either side of the touch pad, which may be new Start/Select keys, or related to a rumoured Share button feature.

The controller also shows revised analogue sticks, a bulkier d-pad than the traditional PlayStation 8-way, and what appears to be an earphone port on its lower surface (or, again, a possible microphone port).

Old 14-02-2013, 09:35 PM
Sparky***

was just about to post that poop

that controller looks a bit cheap and clunky though.