United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Not Football related > Gaming

Old 14-01-2013, 07:36 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by utd99
Laying the groundwork for a defection to the Dark Side?
no not really. I just want to think about it before i spend best part of 400 on whatever it is.

I would never change permanently to xbox360 for example because it's inferior tech. the ps3 exclusive titles shit all over the xbox ones as well.

it's just a shame that microsoft have activision in their back pocket as they happen to develop the game i play the most.

Old 14-01-2013, 07:40 PM
utd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
no not really. I just want to think about it before i spend best part of 400 on whatever it is.

I would never change permanently to xbox360 for example because it's inferior tech. the ps3 exclusive titles shit all over the xbox ones as well.

it's just a shame that microsoft have activision in their back pocket as they happen to develop the game i play the most.
From a practical standpoint, whether the tech is inferior or not becomes a moot point when the console you use, and the games you play, have such connectivity issues that they become unplayable.

Old 14-01-2013, 07:41 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by utd99
From a practical standpoint, whether the tech is inferior or not becomes a moot point when the console you use, and the games you play, have such connectivity issues that they become unplayable.
again, that's all on the developers.

you're right though, the tech is pointless if it's not being used.

Old 01-02-2013, 10:26 AM
Poop

Quote:
Sony Computer Entertainment is set to officially unveil its next-generation console plans in just a few weeks time.

A post and video on the PlayStation firm's official blog invites fans to "see the future" at an event set for February 20 at 6pm EST. Sony has also launched a countdown website with the tagline "be the first to know"

Old 01-02-2013, 11:52 AM
Stretlow

Quote:
Originally Posted by elhombre
i hope there's some surprises in there... because the last spec i read made it sound as if sony had been too clever for it's own good - the idea of download-only games being one thing i really didn't like...
Why? Discs are going to be obsolete in the next few years. Downloads and streaming will be the norm.

I even fully expect sky to do it so they can finally provide full HD.

Old 01-02-2013, 11:55 AM
bobbledinho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretlow
Why? Discs are going to be obsolete in the next few years. Downloads and streaming will be the norm.

Should still be able to buy games cheap on eBay etc. And lend games to mates. Download only stops all that. If download was going to take off it already would have. Most games are still sold in hard copy.

Old 01-02-2013, 04:26 PM
Poop

Quote:

There are rumours that it'll be capable of rendering games in 4k resolution. Imagine downloading or streaming something like Metal Gear Solid 5 running at 3840 x 2160? Not to mention an extensive HD audio track. No f***ing thanks.

Anywho, hasn't it been as good as confirmed that it locks pre-owned games from being played on it? That suggests an optical drive will be present.

Old 01-02-2013, 04:32 PM
elhombre

Quote:

this argument falls down when you see how much the quality of internet connections differs across the board - like poop says, how much data will a new game actually contain? also, how big will the new HDDs need to be to accommodate this?

also, if i want to buy a game, i want a physical, hard copy.... and the ability to swap and buy cheap second hand games easily.

Old 01-02-2013, 04:47 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by elhombre
this argument falls down when you see how much the quality of internet connections differs across the board - like poop says, how much data will a new game actually contain? also, how big will the new HDDs need to be to accommodate this?

also, if i want to buy a game, i want a physical, hard copy.... and the ability to swap and buy cheap second hand games easily.
exactly, nobody wants to lose 1000's of 's worth of games because your hard drive gets corrupted.

like i said in an earlier post. These new consoles will be costing the better part of 400 when they're first released so i want to carefully consider which one i'm going to be using primarily for gaming.

Old 01-02-2013, 04:50 PM
elhombre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
exactly, nobody wants to lose 1000's of 's worth of games because your hard drive gets corrupted.

like i said in an earlier post. These new consoles will be costing the better part of 400 when they're first released so i want to carefully consider which one i'm going to be using primarily for gaming.
i find it f***ing weird how similar the games and the machines are.... i mean i'd be lying if i said i could tell the difference between the two. plus 85-90% of the games are available on both platforms.. and if poop's link in this thread is anything to go by, the architectures are nigh on identical.

having had a PS One and a PS3, i'll stick with sony, i reckon.