United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football Auto-Threads

Old 16-10-2012, 06:20 PM
fred tissue

Default World Cup qualifiers live!

[IMG]http://hits.guardian.co.uk/b/ss/guardiangu-feeds/1/H.24.2.2/22476?ns=guardian&pageName=World+Cup+2014+qualifie rs+*+live%21+%7C+Barney+Ronay%3AArticle%3A1815404& ch=Football&c3=GU.co.uk&c4=World+Cup+2014+qualifie rs+%28football%29%2CFootball%2CSport&c5=Unclassifi ed&c6=Barney+Ronay&c7=12-Oct-16&c8=1815404&c9=Article&c10=Minute+by+minute%2CMa tch+report&c11=Football&c13=&c25=&c30=content&c42= Sport&h2=GU%2FSport%2FFootball%2FWorld+Cup+2014+qu alifiers[/IMG]
Turn on our auto-refresh tool for the latest updates
Email [email protected] for a chat
Spain v France and Republic of Ireland in action
Click here for the latest scores in all the matches
Follow Poland v England with Barry Glendenning
And follow Belgium v Scotland with Paul Doyle

7.09pm: Wales and Croatia are away in Zagreb:" it is currently goalless albeit Wales, playing in a weird Liverpool away circa 1994 green and white halves kit have hardly touched the ball, instead standing around while looking Modric has a little game on his own. Good save from Price there palming round a Srna free kick. Looks like a long night ahead.

7.04pm: The England team is in too. It is: Hart; Johnson, Jagielka, Lescott, Cole; Gerrard, Carrick; Cleverley, Rooney, Milner; Defoe. I've got them in a 4-2-3-1, but then I wear the velveteen beret of the tactical sophisticate. Not a bad team at all, given, well, given everything. They look a little better equipped to hold on to the ball, a little less linear. Milner will run around a lot. It could be worse.

7.01pm: Scotland have made one change for the game in Brussels, James McArthur coming in for Scott Brown. And more on England v Serbia: some talk that Rose may have been provoked by something unpleasant from the crowd. "Very unsavoury scenes" is the word. Oh dear.

6.54pm: Some teams coming in. Ireland play the Faroes. This Ireland:
Westwood, Coleman, O'Shea, O'Dea, Wilson, Brady, Andrews, McCarthy, McGeady, Keane, Walters.
Subs: Forde, Ward, Clark, McShane, Kelly, Fahey, Meyler, Clifford, Long, Cox,
Randolph.
It'll be fine. No, really. It. Will. Be. Fine.
Also, some news just in: England Under-21s have qualified for next year's European Championship after beating Serbia 1-0 in Krusevac, Jane Austen cad Conor Wickham scoring the only goal in the last minute. Danny Rose was sent off at the end after some kind of disgraceful melee. I'm hearing word that Steve Wigley was punched in the face by at least one Serbian player. Poor old Steve Wigley.... But another successful tournament qualification for international management's Stuart Pearce.

6.44pm: Hello and welcome to the clockwatch on what promises to be a night of ... Well, of football anyway. I will be here with news, goals and non-specific points arising from around Europe. You can email me your "thoughts", observations and spittle-flecking banter-attacks via the above address. England's initially promising, but ultimately rather meek and menadering 2-1 defeat in Warsaw kicks off in an hour and ten minutes. All the other home nations are in action, as are Ireland and most of the rest of the Euro zone.

Barney will be here shortly. Until then here's a preview.
The captain, Robbie Keane, will lead the Republic of Ireland into their must-win clash with the Faroe Islands. The 32-year-old, who missed Friday night's 6-1 home defeat by Germany with an achilles injury, has had an injection and will start the game in Torshavn.

The LA Galaxy striker insisted in the build-up to the game that the players remain unequivocally behind their manager, Giovanni Trapattoni, whose position has been put at risk by recent poor results, and denied talk of disharmony in the dressing-room. "Of course we are [behind him]," he said. "Listen, there are always going to be rifts in the camp and we certainly know that as players. The players who are not playing are going to be disappointed that's normal. Every week since I have been playing football, every week there is one argument in the team, every week in clubs.

"It's normal, it's natural and it happens all the time. Unfortunately we are in a bubble here with the Irish set-up. It's a bubble and stuff gets out and that's no problem. But this happens every week in football. Last week before I left LA Galaxy, it happened; two weeks before that, it happened and when I was at Tottenham, it happened. It happens all the time.

To continue reading click here.

Barney Ronay

guardian.co.uk © 2012 Guardian News and Media Limited or its affiliated companies. All rights reserved. | Use of this content is subject to our Terms & Conditions | More Feeds

More...