United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Everything else > Off Topic

Old 10-10-2010, 12:32 PM
waynes ear's

Default Re: anyone ever suffered from depression?

Quote:
Originally Posted by History
tbh ive not had the best year of my life, and my moods have been getting worse throughout the year i cant be arsed going out or doing anything, i try to cover it up in front of my family, but its been getting worse. Then to top it off yesterday i lost my dad to cancer in the morning.

now im confused, as i don't know if it is depression or am i just mourning?
sad to hear that mate, thoughts go out to you and yours

Old 10-10-2010, 12:36 PM
wiganste

Fucking hell, that's pretty fucked. Really sorry to hear

Old 10-10-2010, 12:48 PM
wonky no

yes. i have.

i was depressed for over three years. i didn't know why or even if i truly was. mood swings were pretty constant, nothing violent but just either right up there or really low. I could have a brilliant day filled with loads of happy things then just one thing would knock me down, wouldn't have to be a big thing either.

i'd also start creating things to be pissed off about, fleeting thoughts to dwell on. some mornings i'd get up and feel like i'd have a hangover. used to get in work late constantly simply because i felt like crap.

i could think of a loads of reasons not to do something. always looked on the negative. Then, something quite major happened regarding my close friends and it sort of woke me up. literally i felt like i'd just come through something and all the above is now evident through retrospect.

i never went the docs so i cant be sure if im talking bollocks but for me it was grief. my little un had an accident and it fucked me up. thing is you deal with it practically, all the procedure of making things better. you kind of move on practically but leave the emotion to sort itself out. thats what happened to me, it manifests itself in other ways.

luckily for me i've come through it now, without the need for professional help. i was kinda shocked into realising i'd missed the last 3 years of my life and everyone around me had moved on.

sorry to hear about your old fella mate. my advice is to talk to someone who doesn't judge. get stuff out of your head.

sorry for waffling!

Old 10-10-2010, 01:38 PM
otbarney

I have and it's fucking gash, get yourself to the quacks as soon as mate.
Sorry to hear about your dad, but you really need to get yourself sorted.

RIP History Sr.

Old 10-10-2010, 01:40 PM
jem

the best way to feel good is to go out and do something for someone else.

Old 10-10-2010, 01:59 PM
magic_cantona

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Ed
Yes I was back in 2002... My dad died and marriage went tits up... Counselling is far better than staying on drugs in the long term.

Sorry to hear it tho... Keep your chin up fella.
Quote:
Originally Posted by History
thanks, was seriously considering Counselling anyway. Thinks it's a must now
Yep, good decision.

Suffered with depression on and off for the best part of 8 years.Had a dreadful job with lots of pressure, really bad money worries, me and the wife went through two miscarriages, then got made redundant - there wasn't a lot that didn't fucking happen to us tbh.My low moods/depression were incredibly bad, I just felt numb and couldn't be happy about anything when it came on.It's like a dark cloud that just sits above your head.Cried a lot, felt alone a lot.

But I wasn't properly diagnosed until about 3 years back.Was on the pills for a while and, imo, they dont really help - talking does.I went to a group, where there was about 8 others in the same boat as me.They felt alone and didnt feel that anyone understood just how they felt.Being in the group made me realise that I wasnt mental or odd, that I was just ill.It really helped me.I still get depression now and again but I can deal with it a whole lot better now, without taking pills that turn you into a zombie.See your GP and he/she should refer you to someone.

Really sorry to hear about your dad and how yo're feeling pal.Hope it gets better as soon as poss.

Old 10-10-2010, 03:42 PM
FUCK KFC

really bad news mate sorry to hear that and condolonces to your family

but as others have said don't put off getting help for yourself that iis the most iimportant thing now

Old 10-10-2010, 03:48 PM
redhegemony

Exercise will help the spirits a bit, a nice walk in some good surroundings.

Hope things pick up sorry to hear about your dad.

Old 10-10-2010, 03:49 PM
Albert Tatlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
the best way to feel good is to go out and do something for someone else.

This works, it's better than drugs and it some ways it's even better than counselling as someone benefits from your philanthropy.

Old 10-10-2010, 03:51 PM
Sullingtons

Luckily the stigma is lessening.

If you broke your back, you'd get it mended. Same works with the mind.

Good luck matey.