United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Not Football related > Music > Tissue Island Discs (TID's)
Closed Thread

Old 28-09-2010, 07:31 PM
suedeshoes

Default Re: TIDs (4) #2 - Suedeshoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenner
The 'Dome, Konspiracy & Shelleys were legendary, I used to frequent them all too...

Moody as f*** in the Dome but brilliant. I'd never heard most of that music before I went in there or seen anything like it. Meatheads from Monsall off their tits on E's dancing to gay itilian piano house. Shame the bouncers all got shot and it closed down.

Old 28-09-2010, 07:32 PM
Brenner

Default The Doors - LA Woman

I mentioned it in my very own TIDs and I genuinely came away from The Hac that night thinking I've seen something truly special..

The 'Dome was moody as f*** tbf

Your third track selection is the 1971 title track from the mercurial LA psych rockers The Doors, what emotions does this arouse...?

Old 28-09-2010, 07:40 PM
suedeshoes

This tune immediately takes me back to the days when I was out clubbing and gigging round Manchester 3-4 nights-a-week. One of the best clubs I went to was at Isadoras underneath the corn exchange (I believe older viewers will remember it as Pips, whilst younger ones will remember it as Konspiracy).
They did a Saturday night called 'The Hangout' which had two rooms, an acid house room and an indie/psychedelic room. Manchester's best DJ, the unsung Dave Booth was in charge of the indie/psychedelic room and it was f***ing mind-blowing. Everybody...and I mean everybody was dancing to Booths classic sets which included The Stones both Rolling and Roses, The Doors, The Pixies, The Who, Mondays, Booker T & the MG's, Hawkwind, Hendrix, New Order.....it was top, as we said often.

Big North Mancunian community of characters in there. Many you probably know yourself Bren as I believe you also regularly frequented the place.
L.A.Woman was one of the big tunes and it would go wild when it revved-up and kicked-in. I used to box-off a little spot on the stage every week where it was easy to skin-up and wherever anyone of our crowd was in the club, everyone would rush back to go mental to L.A. Woman. The 'Mister Mojo Rising' refrain halfway through would see the lights dim before the strobes welcomed back the driving rhythm as the band kicked back in. Great tune. Magic days.

Old 28-09-2010, 07:41 PM
suedeshoes

14 posts and no interuptions. You can tell no fun's banned.

Old 28-09-2010, 07:46 PM
Brenner

Another superb venue that we had in those days, The Hangout was the place to get a real cross section of music as you say, great shout that Sueders.

Interestingly, as this track was from the final album before Jim Morrison's death, it was only performed once live due to the difficult chord progression, and the fact that Jim's voice was f***ed from all his excesses....

Old 28-09-2010, 07:48 PM
Brenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by suedeshoes

I think fredsters have grasped TIDs etiquette tbf..

Old 28-09-2010, 07:51 PM
suedeshoes

I read that book 'No One Here Gets Out Alive' and it's a surprise that Jim Morrison managed to sing anything beyond the Doors first album. He the 'rockest' rock-star of all time.

L.A Woman is a good album, though The Soft Parade is my fabourite. His voice is amazing on that album.

Old 28-09-2010, 07:53 PM
Brenner

Have you been to his grave at Père-Lachaise cemetary in Paris?

Old 28-09-2010, 08:02 PM
suedeshoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenner
Have you been to his grave at Père-Lachaise cemetary in Paris?
Non. I would've gone when I was younger but me and mrs shoes were always occupied in France (boom boom) and it would be full of students worhipping the 'poet' Morrison and getting in the way of me having a smoke.

And I believe thugs have graffiti'd it to buggery.

Old 28-09-2010, 08:03 PM
no fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by suedeshoes

observing
Closed Thread