United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Not Football related > Music > Tissue Island Discs (TID's)
Closed Thread

Old 21-09-2010, 07:35 PM
Grimson

Default Re: TIDs (4) #1 - Grimson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenner
Speaking of strange, that leads me nicely on to your fourth track...

A UK band that released just one single, Beeside/Vacuum Cleaner, and were only active between 1967-68...

Tell us about Tintern Abbey and this selection...
Tintern Abbey are the great enigma of underground psych-heads like me. As you say, they were very short-lived, and produced only this single (this is the flip side (B-side - get it?) of Vacuum Cleaner, which is a great storming psych rocker).

Beeside is more pastoral and gentle, and I picked it because it probably best represents British psych from that era better than any other song I can think of. I love the great clouds of phased cymbals and thumping bass. There were rumours of unreleased songs surfacing on acetate, etc, but they turned out to be either fakes or just noisy static - the band members just tuning and warming up.

One of the great joys of collecting psych is that I keep running across gems like this, and every time I think I've mined the pit for all it's worth, I find another.

Old 21-09-2010, 07:39 PM
Brenner

I'm so chilled out I'm horizontal at the moment tbf :joint:

I have it on good authority that this is a highly sought after collectors item which has changed hands for over a grand in the past...

Old 21-09-2010, 07:41 PM
Grimson

Quote:
I'm so chilled out I'm horizontal at the moment tbf :joint:

I have it on good authority that this is a highly sought after collectors item which has changed hands for over a grand in the past...
Yes, in the vinyl it goes for hundreds.

I must be missing that gene in terms of collecting. I'm all about the music but it isn't important to me to have original pressings or first editions. Probably just as well, since I have a pit bull who chews things.

I do want to get back into vinyl though. I miss filling an entire house with music. MP3s on a laptop, or an iPod stuck into an iHome, doesn't feel the same.

Old 21-09-2010, 07:47 PM
Brenner

I miss vinyl tbh but still love sifting in the few shops I come across now and again, there's a lot to be said for a good old sift..

Taking a break from the tuneage now Grimmers at the midway point, tell us about your earliest United memories...

Old 21-09-2010, 07:52 PM
Grimson

My earliest United memory is my dad on the phone from South Africa telling me that a South African goalkeeper had signed for Manchester United.

In the 1970s it wasn't easy to follow United from the States, as you can imagine - no internet, no satellite TV - but we had an English pub right on the beach in Cocoa Beach that my mother would take me to on Sundays to watch games that had been video taped the day before. I would say those were my earliest memories - shouting for United playing a game that was already decided. Funnily enough, even though he was my gateway to United, I was never Gary Bailey's biggest fan. I was a pretty harsh critic as a kid.

My dad, trying to stay in touch as a dad, sent me Geoffrey Green's excellent book 'There's Only One United' when it was published in the early 80s. I probably read it 10 times before I was sixteen.

Old 21-09-2010, 08:00 PM
Brenner

So which players was Grimmers a fan of, say from the 70's to present...?

Old 21-09-2010, 08:08 PM
Grimson

Quote:
So which players was Grimmers a fan of, say from the 70's to present...?
I loved those 80s teams and especially the big men like McGrath and Whiteside, but also little Jesper Olsen, and of course Robbo. Of course it was frustrating not to be challenging for league titles, but then if you started following United in the 70s it wasn't something you really expected. When everything changed in the 90s, I hero-worshipped all the obvious heroes, but it wasn't until Ronnie came along that anyone excited me as much as Kanchelskis. I still wish his United career had lasted longer and ended better - same with Lee Sharpe - I'll never forget THAT league cup game at Highbury because again I was living in Herts at that time and almost everyone I knew claimed to be an Arsenal supporter.

More recently Edwin is an absolute hero, of course. Naturally Schmeichel was as well but I'm not being revisionist when I say this - it was always hard to warm to him as a fan. He did his job brilliantly and as a goalkeeper you had to be astounded by his ability, but there was something about him that made me wish he would just stay in his goal and do his job, rather than sprinting around screaming at Brucey and Pally. But then that's probably what made him as great as he was.

Scholes and Giggs of course are in a category of their own. It's not going to be the same when they're gone.

Old 21-09-2010, 08:13 PM
Brenner

I like the cut of your jib big man, very well put those sentiments...

Back to the tracks then, and your fifth choice is from Spacemen 3, and their 1991 offering, Big City, from the Recurring LP.

Why does this make the list....?

Old 21-09-2010, 08:20 PM
Grimson

This song is another which goes back to my time in the UK. I had mostly binned the punk by this time, but was still living a stressful life. It's easy for me to romanticise it now, but I was living far away from home, not much money, lots of pressure, etc. What I loved about 'Big City' was the energy and positivity, overall good feeling, along of course with the psychy touches. I had an old Sony cassette Walkman, and I would listen to this song on my way to training and games, trying to get into a proper, confident mindset. I think I will always associate it with standing on the British Rail platform at Borehamwood & Elstree, keeping an eye on the very dodgy types who were always hanging around in front of the Crown, a pub so notorious for violence that my neighbor made me promise I would never step foot inside.

Old 21-09-2010, 08:25 PM
Brenner

I preferred Spiritualized who were spawned from the band in 1991 tbh, I remember buying the Ladies & Gentlemen We Are Floating In Space album and it was packaged as a pill in a box...

Did you keep the promise you made to your neighbour btw...?
Closed Thread