United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Not Football related > Music > Tissue Island Discs (TID's)
Closed Thread

Old 21-09-2010, 07:00 PM
Brenner

Thumbs up Re: TIDs (4) #1 - Grimson

I can picture the scene of glimpsing for the first time the sun kissed aqua blue waters and white sands of The Keys with this on in the car - nice vibe that...

Selection number 2 is a departure from reggae to R&B/Funk/Disco, and the 1977 track from the Right On Time LP by The Brothers Johnson, Strawberry Letter 23

What are the reasons behind this choice...?

Old 21-09-2010, 07:06 PM
Grimson

Default Re: TIDs (4) #1 - Grimson

I was born in '66 and by '77 disco was inundating the radio - which was all we had back then - but this was different, crossing over from funk and getting substantial airplay. I know many people prefer the Shuggie Otis original, which is fantastic, but TIDs is about memories in many cases, and this song puts me back in '77: Star Wars, Pele and the New York Cosmos, and Karen Kissiah, my teenage next door neighbor bad girl who wore skirts "long enough to cover the topic but short enough to keep your attention" as my dad would say.

No link, sorry.

Old 21-09-2010, 07:10 PM
Brenner

Loving your dad's phrase there , and you're right, selections for TID's are about the memories the tracks evoke...

Take your point about the Shuggie Otis original, but how can anyone not like this version from a band with members known as "Lightnin' Licks" & "Thunder Thumbs"...?!

I think this track was produced by Quincy Jones...?

Old 21-09-2010, 07:11 PM
Grimson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenner
Loving your dad's phrase there

Take your point about the Shuggie Otis original, but how can anyone not like this version from a band with members known as "Lightnin' Licks" & "Thunder Thumbs"...?!

I think this track was produced by Quincy Jones...?
Indeed it was.

I really hope there's a funk revival some day, if for no other reason than to get nicknames like that back into music.

Old 21-09-2010, 07:15 PM
Brenner

Moving on to your 3rd choice then, and the first of several psychedelic selections, from St Albans' finest The Zombies, and their 1968 (US #3) hit, Time of The Season.

Fill us in on the memories this track evokes....

Old 21-09-2010, 07:19 PM
Grimson

Quote:
Moving on to your 3rd choice then, and the first of several psychedelic selections, from St Albans' finest The Zombies, and their 1968 (US #3) hit, Time of The Season.

Fill us in on the memories this track evokes....
The fact they're from St Albans is relevant. I was living in Boreham Wood, just down the road, in the late 80s, listening exclusively to angry American punk like the Dead Kennedys, Black Flag, Circle Jerks, etc. Either coincidentally or perhaps related to that, I myself was often angry and completely stressed out. I picked up a throat infection one day and went to my local doc, and while sitting in the waiting room, this tune came on. I'd heard it before of course, who hasn't, but it struck me then as so much more melodic and lyrical than the punk I'd been listening to. I tracked down the cassette, and found the music really helped bring down my pulse. It started my journey into fullblown psychedelia.

Also, of course, it's just a fantastic song in its own right. Pretty much the best "Let's f***" song I can think of.

Old 21-09-2010, 07:22 PM
Grimson

btw I DO have a few links, and will add them later.

Old 21-09-2010, 07:23 PM
Brenner

A very mellow vibe this track so can see exactly why it would bring stress levels right down

Strange that it didn't chart in the UK at all despite it's success in The States.

It's been done to death in TV, film and commercials though, in fact I think it featured in a Tampax ad at one point...

Old 21-09-2010, 07:25 PM
Grimson

Quote:
A very mellow vibe this track so can see exactly why it would bring stress levels right down

Strange that it didn't chart in the UK at all despite it's success in The States.

It's been done to death in TV, film and commercials though, in fact I think it featured in a Tampax ad at one point...
Sort of a strange story to how it managed to chart in the States, too - I believe it was released as a single and flopped, but later when it was on Odessey & Oracle, it charted - by which time the band had all but broken up.

Old 21-09-2010, 07:30 PM
Brenner

Speaking of strange, that leads me nicely on to your fourth track...

A UK band that released just one single, Beeside/Vacuum Cleaner, and were only active between 1967-68...

Tell us about Tintern Abbey and this selection...
Closed Thread