United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Not Football related > Music > Tissue Island Discs (TID's)
Closed Thread

Old 21-09-2010, 06:34 PM
Brenner

Exclamation TIDs (4) #1 - Grimson

A very warm welcome back TIDdy fans as we embark on series 4 of Tissue Island Discs - the essential forum mix of tunes & United.

After a critically acclaimed 3rd series, the pressure is on (yet again) to deliver, and I'm confident the mix of new blood & stalwarts I have lined up for you, will make this series as enjoyable as ever..

One slight tweak in the format is that the favourite book & luxury item have been dropped, to be replaced with the United Player/Manager (past or present) you'd take with you to keep you company on Tissue Island.

So without further ado, let's get on with the show and welcome our first guest who has been waiting patiently in the green room - Grimson

Here are his selctions:

Burning Spear - Jah Kingdom

Brothers Johnson - Strawberry Letter 23

The Zombies - Time of The Season

Tintern Abbey - Beeside

Spacemen 3 - Big City

Aardvarks - I'm Higher Than I'm Down

The Stingers - Preacher Man

Nancy Sinatra & Lee Hazlewood - Some Velvet Morning

Good Evening Grimmers and welcome to TID Towers, I trust you had a pleasant flight over to the UK - a very psychedelic vibe to your selections...

Old 21-09-2010, 06:38 PM
Grimson

Default Re: TIDs (4) #1 - Grimson

Thanks for having me brens. I am of course a fan of all things psych, which tends to extend into my reggae and dub favourites as well. I find psychedelia to be a great antidote to daily stress, etc.

Old 21-09-2010, 06:42 PM
Sparky***

nearly 4 years i've been on this site and i've never done one of these things. I feel gutted.

Old 21-09-2010, 06:43 PM
Brenner

No finer genre to take the mind to other places...

So, your first selection is Jamaican reggae & roots legend, Winston Rodney, and his 1991 offering from the same album title Jah Kingdom

Why does this make the list...?

Old 21-09-2010, 06:43 PM
captain scarlet

Love this. Coffee in hand and go.

Old 21-09-2010, 06:44 PM
Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
nearly 4 years i've been on this site and i've never done one of these things. I feel gutted.
shhhh

Old 21-09-2010, 06:47 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben
shhhh

Old 21-09-2010, 06:51 PM
Grimson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenner
No finer genre to take the mind to other places...

So, your first selection is Jamaican reggae & roots legend, Winston Rodney, and his 1991 offering from the same album title Jah Kingdom

Why does this make the list...?
This one is all about memories. It's far from his best work - by this period, his band wasn't as raw and hard-edged.

In 1995 I was living with a miserable, depressed woman, which was as much fun as it sounds. I'd always wanted to live in the Florida Keys, and finally got the courage to break up with her, pack up my car, and move there sight unseen. I was playing this CD in my car the first time I saw the spectacular colours of the ocean surrounding the islands, and I played it every day whilst I drove around looking for a new place to live. Every time I listen to it now, it takes me right back to that place - liberation, brethren!

Old 21-09-2010, 06:53 PM
Brenner

Thumbs up Re: TIDs (4) #1 - Grimson

Link....

Sounds like it was a brave life changing decision which worked out for the better then Grimmers...

Old 21-09-2010, 06:55 PM
Grimson

Aha. Well she was a beautiful woman and she's 40 now and still beautiful, but still about as much fun as malaria.

edit - here she is visiting me in the Keys the year after I made the break.

Last edited by Grimson; 21-09-2010 at 07:30 PM.
Closed Thread