United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread
 
Old 07-09-2010, 06:53 AM
Toilet sniffer V
 
Default Re: Houllier to Villa?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argentina
Yawn.

He didn't do too bad at Liverpool - finished above United in 02 - or Lyons (2 league titles in 2 seasons there), but don't let that distract you from anything.
Oh straighten your face you mard arse. When they finished above us, we had a shite keeper and the new signings we signed were struggling iirc. That was probably the shitest we've been in the past 15 years, wasn't it? My memory's not what it was. Was that when we had Barthez, Bellion, Blanc (before he turned it around) etc etc? Finishing above us was due to us, not Houllier. Liverpool don't like sacking keepers but they sacked him, despite him being a lifelong Liverpool fan.
 
Old 07-09-2010, 07:05 AM
Argentina
 
Default Re: Houllier to Villa?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toilet sniffer V
Oh straighten your face you mard arse. When they finished above us, we had a shite keeper and the new signings we signed were struggling iirc. That was probably the shitest we've been in the past 15 years, wasn't it? My memory's not what it was. Was that when we had Barthez, Bellion, Blanc (before he turned it around) etc etc? Finishing above us was due to us, not Houllier. Liverpool don't like sacking keepers but they sacked him, despite him being a lifelong Liverpool fan.
Alright then. When we win the league and win things, it's all down to us, but when another team does anything else, it's down to us - they just got lucky.

They were there on merit and deservedly so. I suppose he just got lucky twice with Lyons then?
 
Old 07-09-2010, 07:28 AM
Toilet sniffer V
 
Default Re: Houllier to Villa?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argentina
Alright then. When we win the league and win things, it's all down to us, but when another team does anything else, it's down to us - they just got lucky.

They were there on merit and deservedly so. I suppose he just got lucky twice with Lyons then?
Year Team Points
99/00 Utd 91
Liv 67
00/01 Utd 80
Liv 69
01/02 Utd 77
Liv 80
02/03 Utd 83
Liv 64
03/04 Utd 75
Liv 60

So once they reached 80 points when we got 77. Look at all those points in the 60's. After several years in the job, in his last season he got 60 points. Hardly the figures of a good manager. They would never have won the league under Houllier.


Liverpool got 63 points last season so they performed better in Rafa's last season than in Houllier's last season. Is Benitez a good manager? He had a decent record at Valencia.

http://www.premierleague.com/page/Statistics

Last edited by Toilet sniffer V; 07-09-2010 at 07:31 AM.
 
Old 07-09-2010, 07:40 AM
treme
 
Default Re: Houllier to Villa?

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria
Well, we're still waiting........

Apparently, several Villa players are none too keen on boggly eyes taking over and this is holding things up
That being the two Liverpool players he sold when in charge. Can't think of who they are but Stephen Warnock is one of them.
 
Old 07-09-2010, 07:43 AM
carlosartorial
 
Default Re: Houllier to Villa?

Be funny if he won the league with Villa*, watch the revisionism start in RAWK then....

*not gonna happen I know, but you know what I mean.
 
Old 07-09-2010, 07:44 AM
Stickman
 
Default Re: Houllier to Villa?

Quote:
Originally Posted by treme
That being the two Liverpool players he sold when in charge. Can't think of who they are but Stephen Warnock is one of them.
Friedel is one anyway.
 
Old 07-09-2010, 08:06 AM
Argentina
 
Default Re: Houllier to Villa?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toilet sniffer V
Year Team Points
99/00 Utd 91
Liv 67
00/01 Utd 80
Liv 69
01/02 Utd 77
Liv 80
02/03 Utd 83
Liv 64
03/04 Utd 75
Liv 60

So once they reached 80 points when we got 77. Look at all those points in the 60's. After several years in the job, in his last season he got 60 points. Hardly the figures of a good manager. They would never have won the league under Houllier.


Liverpool got 63 points last season so they performed better in Rafa's last season than in Houllier's last season. Is Benitez a good manager? He had a decent record at Valencia.

http://www.premierleague.com/page/Statistics
They were his first 6 years in charge. Compare to Ferguson's first 6 years. Not too different.

09/10
Chelsea 86
United 85

08/09
United 90
Liverpool 86
Chelsea 83

07/08
United 87
Chelsea 85

06/07
United 89
Chelsea 83

05/06
Chelsea 91
United 83

04/05
Chelsea 95
Arsenal 83
United 77

Quite clearly United only won the league 3 times on the bounce from 07-09 because Chelsea were so poor. A repeat of either of these years that Chelsea won would have meant United didn't have a prayer.


You can only do what's infront of you, and the fact is Houllier is a good manager. I'm not saying he's the best or anything or will work wonders, but I said he's 'quite a good manager'. You said he's not and didn't give anything to back your argument up. Now you have given something, it doesn't prove he's a bad manager. In fact you seem to be backing my argument - that 'he's quite a good manager' - up with these stats.
 
Old 07-09-2010, 08:14 AM
Charlestown Rouge
 
Default Re: Houllier to Villa?

Phil Thompson as his Assistant according to the crazy kids at Sky. Now that would be funny.
 
Old 07-09-2010, 09:16 AM
Ashley's Grime
 
Default Re: Houllier to Villa?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestown Rouge
Phil Thompson as his Assistant according to the crazy kids at Sky. Now that would be funny.
Sly would have to get another scouse bastard to replace him on Soccer Saturday.
 
Old 07-09-2010, 09:43 AM
andyroo
 
Default Re: Houllier to Villa?

I think a bit much was made of them finishing above us that year. They weren't seriously in the title race, it was pretty much a shoot-out between us and Arse... once Arse had it won with a couple of games left we lost all the dead rubbers and the vermin won all theirs.
Closed Thread
Thread Tools
Similar Threads for: Houllier to Villa?
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Aston Villa 3 Brighton 2: Villa the Euro contenders may have mixed feelings fred tissue Football Auto-Threads 0 25-01-2010 12:50 AM
Sunderland 1 Aston Villa 2: Barry grabs late winner from spot for 10-man Villa fred tissue Football Auto-Threads 0 19-01-2009 04:00 AM
HULL v Aston Villa: Tigers defender Ricketts free to face Villa after ban fred tissue Football Auto-Threads 0 29-12-2008 11:20 PM
Manchester Utd 4 Aston Villa 0: Dynamic duo destroy Villa as red-hot United close in on title fred tissue Football Auto-Threads 0 30-03-2008 04:27 AM
Manchester Utd 4 Aston Villa 0: Dynamic duo destroy Villa as red-hot United close in on title fred tissue Football Auto-Threads 0 30-03-2008 12:10 AM
All times are GMT. The time now is 07:20 PM.

Copyright 2006 - 2018 utdforum.com. This site is in no way affiliated to Manchester United Football Club.