United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Everything else > TV / Film / Books / Arts

Old 14-05-2010, 10:18 PM
Manchester

Default Re: David Bailey's of the Forum

So the group is growing There's 3 of us, well 2 of you and me who knows f*** all.

Any decent pictures to share then lads?

What matches do you photograph Jake?

And Stone Monkey, what do you photograph? Job or hobby?

I saw a few photographs that impressed me, where someones took a picture of his wife and kid on a swing, and the focus was on the two of them on the swing, with everything else in the photograph out of focus. I was like WTF!!! Seriously, how do you take a photograph like that? Is it the speed of the camera or the lens, along with other settings?

Old 14-05-2010, 10:23 PM
Stone Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manchester

I saw a few photographs that impressed me, where someones took a picture of his wife and kid on a swing, and the focus was on the two of them on the swing, with everything else in the photograph out of focus. I was like WTF!!! Seriously, how do you take a photograph like that? Is it the speed of the camera or the lens, along with other settings?
It's called Bokeh and all you need is some fast glass. When they talk about fast lenses they mean a lens that can let in alot of light. For that you need big apertures IE F2.8 or bigger. The bigger the aperture the smaller the depth of field is so only your point of focus stays sharp and everything else becomes blurred.

The catch, the faster the glass the higher the price. The same lens can be double in cost just to go from from F4 to F2.8!!

I just do it for a hobby but I'm pretty obsessed with it.

Old 14-05-2010, 10:23 PM
JakeB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manchester
So the group is growing There's 3 of us, well 2 of you and me who knows f*** all.

Any decent pictures to share then lads?

What matches do you photograph Jake?

And Stone Monkey, what do you photograph? Job or hobby?

Fred photography club , it will descend into *********** within 2 days

I photograph premiership football in London mainly, along with champions league/europa league etc etc. Not doing the Cup final this weekend (I did the carling cup so the other guy my agency has in London does the FA ) so it's a quiet month for me, doing the England warm up games (mexico at wembley and Japan in Graz), then onto tennis I think

Getting your subject in focus and the background out of focus is done by adjusting your aperture. If the aperture is wide open (say f2.8) only your subject would be in focus, whereas if you have it at say f22 everything will be in focus. And for a picture of people moving (eg on a swing) you'd need a fast shutter speed to freeze the movement

Edit, would share the sports pictures but I dont own the copyright..I could go and scan a newspaper but I'm too lazy

Last edited by JakeB; 14-05-2010 at 10:29 PM.

Old 14-05-2010, 10:27 PM
Stone Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeB
Fred photography club , it will descend into *********** within 2 days
Arrrfff

Old 14-05-2010, 10:28 PM
plopborsky

interesting read this i would love to get some high quality camera on the go just not sure how much i would use it to actually get the value out of it

Old 14-05-2010, 10:33 PM
Stone Monkey

When the light is just right.

My Dad fly fishing just north of Congleton.

Old 14-05-2010, 10:48 PM
JakeB

Sharp as fook that stoney, what body did you use for that?

Can't post a picture of mine..but I have a picture of me taking a picture

In the white/striped hat

Old 14-05-2010, 11:00 PM
Ginners

doesnt stoney make p***os?? or was that a rumour

would love to be awesome at photography but not sure if i cba learning all the bits n bobs, im guessing its not as simple as just pressing click with the expensive cameras

Old 14-05-2010, 11:12 PM
Stone Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeB
Sharp as fook that stoney, what body did you use for that?

Can't post a picture of mine..but I have a picture of me taking a picture

In the white/striped hat
Cheers.

My old 20D with the 17 - 85mm F4.

CAnt wait to get my 24mm F1.4 L tho

Old 14-05-2010, 11:20 PM
steeeeeee

I have a Canon EOS 450D. I cant say ive used it much recently though, but its a good enough camera for my needs. I need to get a good wide angle lens though when the financial situation allows.