United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Not Football related > Music > Tissue Island Discs (TID's)
Closed Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 09:05 PM
Billy Baroo

Default Re: TIDs (3) #6 - Billy Baroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenner
A very perceptive description that BB, I like it..

Did you ever see them live?
not first time round. I had Spike Island tickets but i had a GCSE the next day and the trip got binned by my folks

saw them a fair few times on the Second Coming tour including a memorable coach to the warm up gig in Paris. It went from Keighley, and if you know it it is a mental place. A group of lads i knew who were headcases invited me and our kid (very much like me and throw being invited to Curry Nights really).

As we got to the ferry the coach driver said "they might do a drug search lads"

At which point this lad fell out the toilet consumed by soke having a coughing fit after doing a bong in the chemical toilet

Folk were necking stuff left right and centre and the ferry ride was f***ing wild after that

i saw Brownie do his first Roses set as a slol artist at Eden Lake in Surrey and that was f***ing brilliant i have to say

Old 02-11-2009, 09:10 PM
Brenner

Default Van Morrison - Sweet Thing

Great story about the coach trip

Saw them play around a dozen times and i still maintain the Hacienda gig was the best I saw bar none. Can't believe it's 20 years old this track....

Track 4 then, the halfway point musically, is from the 1968 Astral Weeks album. A classic track. What memories does this bring back....?

Old 02-11-2009, 09:12 PM
Billy Baroo

I came to Astral Weeks pretty late. I met the most fantastic girl in my mid twenties and had the best time of my life with her for a few years. She introduced me to a lot of music from Tim Buckley and Fred Neil to my next pick, Shack. Sweet Thing is my favorite track from all the artists she got me into.

Its just a beautiful song with beautiful lyrics. I loved Vans voice right from the start with Them through to his Celtic Soul stuff and as a songwriter I think he is so diverse and unique

This is a song for lovers (Im an old romantic at heart) and it expresses that euphoric emotion of being head over heels in love with somebody and there isnt a better feeling than that

This was second choice for if I get wed. Our kid had it for his wedding this summer. c***ingtons

Old 02-11-2009, 09:13 PM
suedeshoes

Default Re: Van Morrison - Sweet Thing

Quote:

Saw them play around a dozen times and i still maintain the Hacienda gig was the best I saw bar none.

Ditto.

And ditto on the "very stoned".

(Soz for interuptin. Carry on.)

Old 02-11-2009, 09:14 PM
Brenner

Tell us more about your soul mate, you sounded happy and content with life. Why did it go tits uppingtons...?

Old 02-11-2009, 09:23 PM
Billy Baroo

Quote:
Tell us more about your soul mate, you sounded happy and content with life. Why did it go tits uppingtons...?
f***ing hell, probing stuff, brenningtons

she was living with someone else

f***ing brilliant while it lasted. Proper headbanger she was. Used to see Giggsy for a bit i think which i seemed to find impressive

an enrichening experience though. top girl, top red

Old 02-11-2009, 09:27 PM
Brenner

Exclamation United Memories

I don't pander to scripted interviews Billy, it's cutting edge, under the f***in skin interviews the punters want - it's what they demand...

Pausing for a break in proceedings now, let's talk about your earliest memories of the shirts...

Old 02-11-2009, 09:29 PM
Billy Baroo

Default Re: United Memories

Quote:
I don't pander to scripted interviews Billy, it's cutting edge, under the f***in skin interviews the punters want - it's what they demand...

Pausing for a break in proceedings now, let's talk about your earliest memories of the shirts...

Check out around 6mins 40 secs

My first Cup Final. I only found out I was going on the morning of the game. To show how different things are now can you imagine this? I was just a small boy and my old fella was worried that standing behind the goal at Wembley I would see f*** all. So he took a wooden stool from our kitchen and sawed the legs down so that when I stood on it I was at the same height as him. The fellow on the turnstiles had no problem with it so I got a great view of the whole game

I remember thinking how good Big Norman was, he was really putting it about and I think he kicked their right back out the game. Robson too appeared imperious and all action. What players those 2 were, not bad with the nose polish either.

When Wilkins curled that in id never been in a crowd that went so mental before. My old man told me Id just seen the best cup final goal ever

Old 02-11-2009, 09:36 PM
Brenner

"And Smith must score..."

Great cup final that, enjoyed the replay better though!

RIP in peace Alan Davies

Which other players stood out for you as a yoof during those years...?

Old 02-11-2009, 09:43 PM
Billy Baroo

Quote:
"And Smith must score..."

Great cup final that, enjoyed the replay better though!

RIP in peace Alan Davies

Which other players stood out for you as a yoof during those years...?
me and my dad both liked jesper and muhren

that bit of continental flare

but it was all about robson and whiteside for me. they didn't f*** about
Closed Thread