United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Not Football related > Music > Tissue Island Discs (TID's)
Closed Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 07:41 PM
Brenner

Default Re: TIDs (3) #6 - Billy Baroo

Vivid recollections, thought you were gonna say you pissed on your flares to put them out...

Was Glastonbury a regular jaunt, or did you only do it because Scream were headlining?

Old 02-11-2009, 07:43 PM
captain scarlet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Baroo
Screamadelica is one of my all time favorite albums and this Weatherall mix of Come Together is the stand out track for me

We’d been getting into dance music for a few years and taking bumbles and trips. Finally somebody had managed to get down on record in an album all that entailed

They toured the album in ’92, which was the year I finished my A levels and it became the soundtrack for our very own Summer of Love be4fore we all f**ked off to college. The day after our final exam we headed down to Glastonbury where they were headlining and basically got high for 4 days straight. My daft indie mates went to see Carter USM instead but I went and saw the Scream and it was f**king unbelievable

When Come Together started up with that incredible Jesse Jackson address from the Watts music festival the whole place went f**king mental. Afterwards I headed back to our tents to meet up with everyone, I was completely off my titties and pretty much danced all the way back in a world of my own with this as the soundtrack in my head. At one point I became aware of people shouting at me and realized I was so out of it I had walked straight through their camp fire and the bottom of my jeans were smouldering and about to catch alight. I’ve often wondered if onlookers realized what I was doing to put them out or whether they though I was doing my very own aggressive dance to no music on my ron todd in the middle of a field
We then went to Ibiza for the first time a month later and you could hear this album being played everywhere, blasting out of apartments and by swimming pools or stuff like Higher Than The Sun at Café Del Mar while we all got stoned at sunset.
Brilliant imagery

Old 02-11-2009, 07:46 PM
Billy Baroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenner
Vivid recollections, thought you were gonna say you pissed on your flares to put them out...

Was Glastonbury a regular jaunt, or did you only do it because Scream were headlining?
it was the first time i'd been, we used to go to Reading a fair bit. it had been off for a few years then the Mondays headlined but i couldn't go. But my attention was drawn to it and the line up that year we went was brilliant

i didn't go back for nearly 15 years, and this time did it backstage. We saw the Scream again along with New Order, Brian Wilson, Van Morrison, The La's and Ian Brown

Took an E for the first time in probaly 7 years when New Order came on and had a belting time all weekend

Old 02-11-2009, 07:49 PM
Billy Baroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain scarlet
Brilliant imagery
welcome, captain

unfortunate that you took a wrong turn earlier

Old 02-11-2009, 07:49 PM
Brenner

You'd need an E or two to get through Barney's live vocals...

Before we move on to track 3, can you just have a word with your security team for me mate, they're getting a bit on top tbh in the foyer...

Old 02-11-2009, 07:51 PM
Billy Baroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenner
You'd need an E or two to get through Barney's live vocals...

Before we move on to track 3, can you just have a word with your security team for me mate, they're getting a bit on top tbh in the foyer...

they heard No Fun wasn't picked for 5 a side and was on his way

Old 02-11-2009, 07:54 PM
Brenner

Default The Stone Roses - Fools Gold

He thinks he f**kin runs the place since he's been guest presenter...

Track 3 then, is the 1989 offering from one of Manchester's finest. Why does this make your shortlist...?

Old 02-11-2009, 07:55 PM
Billy Baroo

i hope Johnny Marr does him studs up tonight

I’d started getting into bands around the age of 14, stuff like New Order and The Smiths, but there was very little that was current that was blowing me away. You have to remember it was a pretty dire and uninspiring time for independent music which seemed to have a very small minded outlook and was being swamped by the likes of Stock, Aitken and Waterman and Jive c***ing Bunny et al.

I bought the Roses album purely on the strength of the album cover and how the band looked on the back. When I got home and played it for the first time in my bedroom it was like a life changing revelation. From that day they were my band, representing my generation during a time of significant cultural and creative change.

I just f**king loved them and wanted to be them. They looked great, had an attitude I’d never seen before. We used to come over to Afflecks on the train and I’d take the album with me so I could get my hair cut like Brown and come home with a new pair of flares.

They’d become huge by the time Fools Gold was released, idolized by legions of mop topped kids. I remember being so excited leading up to this coming out and when I finally heard it I thought it was the most important record I’d ever heard. Nobody put out 10minute singles, the video was shot in Lanzarote and it looked like they were on the moon. It swaggered along with effortless cool establishing them as the biggest thing on these shores for a long long time

The Stones asked them to support their UK tour. The Roses responded with typical and brilliant arrogance…No chance, you should be supporting us.

For me this record just represents the best band at their zenith right at the peak of one of the most exciting times to be a teenage kid discovering music and clothes and going out.

Old 02-11-2009, 07:59 PM
Billy Baroo

i'd just like to point out to the viewers at home that i'm really very stoned

i've got a feeling our host might be too

Old 02-11-2009, 07:59 PM
Brenner

A very perceptive description that BB, I like it..

Did you ever see them live?
Closed Thread