United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Not Football related > Music > Tissue Island Discs (TID's)
Closed Thread

Old 26-10-2009, 08:02 PM
Brenner

Exclamation United Memories

I must admit the U2 collaboration didn't do it for me either, but it did reach number 6 in the Uk charts in '89, so it appealed to many others tbf.

A brief interlude from the tunes now Gaz, as we reach the halfway point.

Tell the listeners about your earliest United memories...

Old 26-10-2009, 08:06 PM
Gazw649

Default Re: United Memories

Watching Cantona at the start of 1993 against Spurs was a revelation. Probably the first time id truly appreciated a great footballer, and started to follow the reds a lot more closely. I guess it was around that period when football became a serious pastime, both playing and watching. I remember that was the first time at school I really took an interest in what teams people supported and their players. Following United was brilliant at that stage as money and ego had yet to manifest itself in the game as it has now and I have many happy a memory of the team at that time. I was very lucky as when united first became an obsession was also the start of the prominence in the English game.

My first memory of Old Trafford is just being amazed at the size of the place. Clearly remember standing in the concorse with my old man, than walking up to the seats, and seing the (what at the time appeared to be ) bright green pitch, f***ing massive pitch, in front of me was a jaw dropping moment. Still gets me a bit that to be honest when i take my seat.

Old 26-10-2009, 08:11 PM
Brenner

Default Re: TIDs (3) #5 - Gazw649

Was that the 4-1 home win when Cantona scored along with Irwin, Choccy & Paul Parker?

Old 26-10-2009, 08:15 PM
Gazw649

Thats the badger. Dont remember much about the game to be honest, but was buzzing off the atmospher in general. Youve mentioned another of my favourites players from the era in Denzil Irwin. what a guy.

Old 26-10-2009, 08:22 PM
Brenner

Default Oasis - Morning Glory

A great time for a young lad to be watching United, our first title in over 26 yrs and Eric took the PFA Player's Player of The Year Award the following season.

And Denzil was one of the best signings Ferie ever made.

I am encouraged that you still get that feeling of awe when you take your seat for the match. Good lad.

Back to the tunes then, and your fifth selection is from Oasis' 1995 album, (What's The Story) Morning Glory?

What memories does this track evoke...?

Old 26-10-2009, 08:23 PM
Gazw649

Default Re: Oasis - Morning Glory

Well, everyone has an opinion on Oasis don’t they. For me they are class. This tune is from there peak I reckon, an athemic song that every kid in the pub was belting out. Yes the riff is nicked from REM, but Noel can be a great song writer when he can be arsed. I thing the reason I have fond memories of this tune is because one weekend back in the day( late ‘90s) I was out with the lads getting tanked up, the usual Saturday night caper. Anyway this tune comes on one of the lads who has had a skin full gets up on the table to belt out the “weeeeeeellllllllllll” bridge bit, only for someone, quick as a fox, to whip down his trousers, leaving his little pecker dangling about, whilst he does his best Liam Gallagher impression. f***ing class and this tune always raises a smile whenever I hear it.

Old 26-10-2009, 08:26 PM
Brenner

Glad it's a story about your mate's likkul c**k, rather than being chained to a mirror and a razor blade...

Where do you stand on their break up? Glad? Sad? or about time...?

Old 26-10-2009, 08:27 PM
wonky no

first time reader. loving it. carry on.

Old 26-10-2009, 08:29 PM
Brenner

Thumbs up Re: TIDs (3) #5 - Gazw649

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonky no
first time reader. loving it. carry on.
Welcome to the TIDdy fraternity Wonkers

Old 26-10-2009, 08:31 PM
Gazw649

Not too fussed. Seen live pure times, not recording their best stuff, i hope it means the release of a Noel solo album to be honest
Closed Thread