United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Not Football related > Music > Tissue Island Discs (TID's)
Closed Thread

Old 26-10-2009, 08:31 PM
Brenner

Default The Who - I Can See For Miles

Kangol'd-up. Safe.

Track number 3 is from The Who's 1967 LP, "The Who Sell Out", a track that reached number 10 in the UK and number 9 in the US charts.

For what reasons does this make the cut...?

Old 26-10-2009, 08:34 PM
Gazw649

Default Re: The Who - I Can See For Miles

My indie, britrock fascination in the mid-90s led me to discover where all this music came from, and one of the bands that most caught my ear where the Who. Without doubt one of their best tunes. The way it builds up and reaches a crescendo is pure genius for me. Itís very raw in the verse, pure rock n roll, and Moon excels himself with the rhythm track. Not performed live much apparently, probably to the trickle vocal stuff, but a great tune non the less. As mentioned Iím a guitar player myself and the stuff Townsend does here really is top draw. Like most of his stuff, everything in the right place at the right time.

Old 26-10-2009, 08:38 PM
Brenner

Default Re: TIDs (3) #5 - Gazw649

As you (probably) know, Townshend wrote this track, and famously said about it - "To me, it was the ultimate Who record, yet it didn't sell. I spat on the British record buyer..."

Old 26-10-2009, 08:42 PM
Gazw649

Haha yes, great quote. Their influence on most bands of the last couple of decades is always underplayed. they where immense when they got it right. Once i wsa off my rocker at some house party on some dodgy gear and this song came on, and i just stood there, saying "I can see for miles" whilst everyone just continued their pissed up banter in the room. Got a few dodgy looks from some people but didnt give a f***, was lovin the tune. Strange days indeed.

Old 26-10-2009, 08:48 PM
Brenner

Default Bb King - The Thrill Is Gone

That's spooky

I remember being off my nut at a house party in the mid-80's and Tommy (the film) being on the TV in one of the bedrooms, that f***ed my nut right in, but that's a story for another time...

Your fourth track now, the 1969 offering from award-winning blues/soul singer, songwriter & producer, BB King, from his "Completely Well" album.

Why does this make the tracklist...?

Old 26-10-2009, 08:51 PM
Gazw649

Default Re: Bb King - The Thrill Is Gone

Ah, old B.B. It was learning to play the guitar that led me to discovering the blues, and B.B., with his sublime touch on the old 6-string, quickly became a favourite. The atmosphere in the opening few bars of this song are really moody, grabs you straight away and puts you in that mood. His soloing is so restraint yet very involved, and that vibrato is the best in the world. It was when I left school and got more into music that the blues really became a favourite of mine, and it is this track that really turned my head towards this great genre

Old 26-10-2009, 08:55 PM
Brenner

Sublime is definitely an apt description for this particular track.

BB was 84 last month and is still going strong.

As a guitarist, I'm not surprised you have chosen a track by such a legend - an influence on almost every electric blues guitarist that has followed..

Old 26-10-2009, 08:56 PM
captain scarlet

Great choice of Stones song and this is a great antidote to yesterday-cheers to both of you.

Old 26-10-2009, 08:57 PM
Brenner

Thumbs up Re: TIDs (3) #5 - Gazw649

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain scarlet
Great choice of Stones song and this is a great antidote to yesterday-cheers to both of you.
TID's will ease the pain for a couple of hours at least Captain...

Old 26-10-2009, 08:58 PM
Gazw649

Apparently the old hound does like 300 shows a year. Ill have some of what hes having. His influence is wide ranging, can hear his licks in the works of Jimmy Page, Peter Green, Santana. Truley a giant in the world of music, not just the blues. thought his colaraboration with U2 was a bit shit mind.
Closed Thread