United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Not Football related > Music > Tissue Island Discs (TID's)
Closed Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 07:11 PM
Charlestown Rouge

Default Re: TID's (3) #4 - Charlestown Rouge

Tell you what Brenner, I'll tee them up and you hit them straight down the middle.

No female interest in this one.

At grammar school, I was beginning to drift aimlessly towards the dubious charms of Heavy Metal, mainly down to the lads I knocked about with. So going to see Stiff Little Fingers rescued me ultimately from a monumentally shite haircut and an incurable cider addiction. They were supporting the outstanding Tom Robinson Band and this was the first concert where I genuinely wanted to go ape shit at one with the mob – a sheer adrenalin rush. They “smoothed out” their rendition of this classic in later years – not too difficult though was it ?

I have tried to suggest an alternative Ulster to one or two of the “Red Hand Gang” on here but to no avail.

Old 06-10-2009, 07:14 PM
Brenner

I have to say I'm disappointed at the lack of a love interest with this track...

The band are still going I believe, with Jake Burns being the only constant band member through all incarnations. You seen them more recently since those heady days Rougeville...?

Old 06-10-2009, 07:16 PM
Charlestown Rouge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenner
I have to say I'm disappointed at the lack of a love interest with this track...

The band are still going I believe, with Jake Burns being the only constant band member through all incarnations. You seen them more recently since those heady days Rougeville...?
Nope. That was the time and the place.

Old 06-10-2009, 07:18 PM
Brenner

Default Tainted Love - Soft Cell

Furry muff. From punk to synthpop now then, and your 3rd selection is from Almond & Ball's Non-Stop Erotic Cabaret LP from 1981. How come this made the list...?

Old 06-10-2009, 07:20 PM
Charlestown Rouge

I was at Leeds University in 1981 as these local fun boys produced this iconic track. As an aside, the University Union punched well above it's weight in attracting top bands since The Who “Live at Leeds” was recorded there.

This song epitomises the entire decade for me – I remember going to the Doncaster St Leger meeting on a charrabang from the Railway Arms in Pendleton (shades of “Early Doors” here) and in the various pubs on the way every second pick from the jukey was this. Funny enough, I also saw Shergar lose it's only race there before he was sold to Lord Lucan.

This is classic 80's tuneage.

(There's some more birds coming up btw Brenner - fret ye not).

Old 06-10-2009, 07:24 PM
Brenner

I believe that this was the duo's last chance with record label Phonogram, and it reached Number 1 in 17 different countries...

I also found out that was written by Ed Cobb (of The Four Preps) and originally recorded by Gloria Jones in 1964 (partner of Marc Bolan of T.Rex) who was the driver and survivor of the fatal car crash Bolan died in, in 1977

Old 06-10-2009, 07:27 PM
Charlestown Rouge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenner
I believe that this was the duo's last chance with record label Phonogram, and it reached Number 1 in 17 different countries...

I also found out that was written by Ed Cobb (of The Four Preps) and originally recorded by Gloria Jones in 1964 (partner of Marc Bolan of T.Rex) who was the driver and survivor of the fatal car crash Bolan died in, in 1977
I thought I saw you at Crewe train station wearing a Milletts jacket, carrying a tartan flask and making notes feverishly.

Tell you what, I thought the rest of their stuff was pure shite but this track hit the spot for everyone (apart from No Fun probably) at the time.

Old 06-10-2009, 07:32 PM
Brenner

Default Ace of Spades - Motörhead

I agree, a song that encapsulates the 80's, but they did very little else tbf

Selection number 4 is the legendary 1980 track from the band's eponymously titled album. Why does this make the final listing...?

Old 06-10-2009, 07:36 PM
Charlestown Rouge

Ah Lemmy, Lemmy, Lemmy my dear old thing – my ideal night out on the town would include this bloke with Lee Marvin, Oliver Reed, James Brown and Bestie. Lee Marvin not Martin (either of them).

I'm working in Düsseldorf and I'm invited to Hanover to watch a Motorhead gig. I accepted as I was trying to bond with my mulleted colleagues Alfred and Carsten – this wasn't easy as a German sense of humour is a very serious business and no laughing matter. They promised that I didn't have to wear a denim waistcoat laden with f***ing Judas Priest and Whitesnake patches either.

I have a great evening mainly because I also meet the nubile Susanna, a fraulein of epic Wagnerian proportions – her busters resembled, ironically, a dead heat in a Zeppelin race.

This is the quintessential metal selection for me and it's a fine album as well.

Old 06-10-2009, 07:40 PM
Brenner

Superb

I'm getting visions of Wayne from Auf Wiedersehen Pet for some reason...

Lemmy's f***in 64 this year btw

I love the Arizona-esque style album cover aswell, which was actually taken at a sandpit in Barnet...
Closed Thread