United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Not Football related > Music > Tissue Island Discs (TID's)
Closed Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 06:37 PM
Brenner

Exclamation TID's (3) #4 - Charlestown Rouge

A very good evening to all bredren in the TIDdy Fraternity.

Apologies for the lack of a TID's last week, but due to work commitments, my guest couldn't make it to TID Towers in time.

An especially warm welcome this week to my studio guest and Gillette Fusion-using jogger, Charlestown Rouge.

CR recently broke the 3 posts a day barrier and has also started using smilies. There's a whiff of a mid-life crisis in the studio tonight..

I digress, let's crack on. Here are the 8 tracks we will be discussing tonight. As always, feel free to click on the links as we go through the songs...

How Great Thou Art - Elvis Presley

Alternative Ulster - Stiff Little Fingers

Tainted Love - Soft Cell

Ace of Spades - Motörhead

Get Up (I Feel Like Being A) Sex Machine - James Brown

I Wish I Knew How It Would Feel To Be Free - Billy Taylor

Breathe - The Prodigy

Let Forever Be - Chemical Brothers

Housekeeping - please feel free to join in, AFTER the luxury item, thanks...

Welcome Rougers,

It's a pleasure to meet you again so soon after Curry Night V, a more sedate setting than The Albert pub mind. Is the TID's green room as good as The Manchester Suite hospitality at OT...?

Old 06-10-2009, 06:39 PM
Charlestown Rouge

Default Re: TID's (3) #4 - Charlestown Rouge

Brenner my son, cordial greetings - it's good to be here getting probed by Blackley's finest so to speak. I've even given the servants a night off I'm so giddy with excitement.

Apart from the lack of dry roasted peanuts which I believe my agent did inform you about – the Green Room is A1.

It's a rare honour to be following in the footsteps of some legendary forumistas on here as well as a small selection of complete and utter b*****ds.

Old 06-10-2009, 06:44 PM
Charlestown Rouge

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaffo
No need to ask who you're referring to, anyway it's

Fun to have you on board CTR
Colonel Mustard in the Dining Room with the Lead Piping

Old 06-10-2009, 06:45 PM
Brenner

Default Elvis Presley - How Great Thou Art

We aim to please here squire, and I do recall that your rider for this evening did include dry roasted, but due to an ongoing lawsuit from an unnamed guest from a past series, who had a nut allergy he didn't know about, we've had to withdraw them for the safety of our guests.

Your first track selection is The King's 1967 version of this magnificent hymn, from his album of the same title. Why does this make your tracklist...?

Old 06-10-2009, 06:48 PM
Charlestown Rouge

Most of my choices remind me of certain female company at the time but, more pertinently, they involve great showmen, and they don't come much bigger than Elvis singing some mighty fine Gospel y'all. Even if you don't believe in the Good Lord and all his works and are doomed to burn in the eternal fires of damnation. Amen. He excelled at this genre and the change of tempo mid-way through this track is superb.

It's 1977 and the day after Elvis expires on the carsy (and believe me the furore after Jacko's death was nothing compared to this news) I'm with the pouting, sensuous, basically s***tish Pamela O'Brien of Notre Dame Girls School. Her old man, a complete Elvis nut who sported a full on quiff and array of mildly disturbing tattoos, is down the Kersal Club on a bender drowning his heartfelt grief.

She's a full year older than me and I'm making the not entirely seamless transition in our relationship from “tops” to a “large slice of Finger Pie with fries please Matron”. In tribute to the great man his album is playing on the ubiquitous “music centre” and I set about my task with no little gusto.

As this track comes on Pamela starts to weep gently - it's a touching moment as I think she's wracked with a sense of uncontrollable loss at the King's passing when, on reflection, I think I probably broke her fanny. Unfortunately for Pamela, I was into martial arts and my favourite film at the time was Bruce Lee's “Fists of Fury.”

Good times.

Old 06-10-2009, 06:53 PM
Brenner

Sorry, I've just spat my Bottle of Becks all over the mixing desk

So, we have a proper lothario in our midst...

Old 06-10-2009, 06:56 PM
Charlestown Rouge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenner
Sorry, I've just spat my Bottle of Becks all over the mixing desk

So, we have a proper lothario in our midst...
Quite. Us Crown Greeners are all mourning the demise of the "Good Old Fashioned British Slag". 1977-79 were the Golden Years.

Old 06-10-2009, 06:59 PM
Brenner

I love the way The King brings his own unique style to the song, a la my personal favourite, An American Trilogy (along with the trademark "Sing it fella's.." as the chorus approaches), and......oh f*** that, whatever happened to Pamela...?!

Old 06-10-2009, 07:04 PM
Charlestown Rouge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenner
I love the way The King brings his own unique style to the song, a la my personal favourite, An American Trilogy (along with the trademark "Sing it fella's.." as the chorus approaches), and......oh f*** that, whatever happened to Pamela...?!
God who knows and I've just had this thought that some f***er on here might know her. I left Salford in 1980 and never kept in touch but I've got a feeling that I ruined her for any other man along the lines of:

Pamela: Put it in
Bloke: It is in
Pamela: That's a small organ
Bloke: It's never played in a cathedral before

Old 06-10-2009, 07:07 PM
Brenner

Default Alternative Ulster - Stiff Little Fingers

*Wait for Hark or No Fun to dive in..*

Track number 2 on your list is from Belfast's finest from 1979's Inflammable Material album. I take it the doris we are going to discuss now gave you more than stiff little fingers...
Closed Thread