United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Not Football related > Music > Tissue Island Discs (TID's)
Closed Thread

Old 24-09-2009, 08:21 PM
BarryX

Default Re: TIDs (3) #3 - BarryX

Fast forward indeed to Glastonbury 1993.

As a 17 year old, me and my best mate worked on of the gates taking tickets off people. We started off by let in a few ticketless people (generally nice looking birds and lads we felt sorry for) before realizing that people were actually willing to pay face for the tickets (60 quid a piece if I remember). To us, at that the time, the tickets were just bits of paper that we were ripping up and putting into big plastic bins. Who were we to stop people walking into a fenced off field – we ended up only doing half a shift and to cut a long story short made in the region of 1500 quid on the blackmarket outside. And the festival had only just gotten underway..

Needless to say the next few days were totally insane. Two 17 year olds with a big wad of cash to spend, which we couldn’t take back home (for fear of getting accussed of dealing and general naivety). We spent the lot (bar 100 pounds each). It was like Brewster’s millions only a smaller scale and in the muddy fields of Sommerset surrounded by hippies, public school girls and our mates. We didn’t sleep for 3 days. We treated all our friends to everything. Even strangers. We had the time of our little lives…

Watching The Orb was the highlight of the weekend (even though I was completely wasted and on my own dancing round the crowds for half the set), and this track was the highlight. I was on a different planet….

Old 24-09-2009, 08:23 PM
Switching Off

Thumbs up Re: TIDs (3) #3 - BarryX

I just want to say that Black is an inspired choice. If you dont know the version on Live at Benaroya Hall you need to listen to it. The whole crowd sing the da da da da da da dah bit and it makes the hairs on my neck stand up everytime I hear it.

This makes TIDs better than TBDs, in case there was any doubt.

Apologies for interuppting, as you were.

Old 24-09-2009, 08:24 PM
Brenner

I'm liking the cut of your jib Baz!

Was that your last flirt with Glastonbury on the basis that it could never get any better than that...?

Old 24-09-2009, 08:24 PM
BarryX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switching Off
I just want to say that Black is an inspired choice. If you dont know the version on Live at Benaroya Hall you need to listen to it. The whole crowd sing the da da da da da da dah bit and it makes the hairs on my neck stand up everytime I hear it.

This makes TIDs better than TBDs, in case there was any doubt.

Apologies for interuppting, as you were.
(will put it on now, if theres youtube link)

Old 24-09-2009, 08:27 PM
captain scarlet

Talking Re: TIDs (3) #3 - BarryX

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryX
You may find the sausages a tad too spicy, so we chipped in for some special topical toilet paper, for your personal pleasure....

Anyway, I am nicely mellowed by the booze and food and ready to get down to business. Its great to be here

Old 24-09-2009, 08:28 PM
Switching Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryX
(will put it on now, if theres youtube link)
Its here but no video. its the "I know someday..." bit i meant, f***ing spine tingling

Old 24-09-2009, 08:28 PM
BarryX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenner
I'm liking the cut of your jib Baz!

Was that your last flirt with Glastonbury on the basis that it could never get any better than that...?
no! we tried it again the next year (my mum ran the local Greenpeace who we got the gig through). however it didn't quite to go plan as they upped security somewhat in 94 not that badly though

Orbital were great in 94 FWIW. Also Lenny Kravitz in 93 another highlight.

I don't however, recommend *****ing so much money, in such a short amount of time, and on as much shit we did. Those dodgy rasta's on the bridges came away with much bigger smiles than we did...

Still, from what I can remember, Glastonbury was one of the times of my life (and driving back in 93, with 6 people crashed out in the back, without sleeping for 3 days, whilst skinning up one handed, was the stupidest thing I ever did).

Old 24-09-2009, 08:32 PM
Brenner

Default Pearl Jam - Black

At least you lived to tell us those memories, luckily...

Track 4 is from PJ's 1991 debut album Ten, a monologue by a broken-hearted man, remembering an absent lover...

Does this relate to one of your own personal experiences...?

Last edited by Brenner; 24-09-2009 at 08:34 PM.

Old 24-09-2009, 08:33 PM
Brenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switching Off
Its here but no video. its the "I know someday..." bit i meant, f***ing spine tingling

YouTube - Pearl Jam - Black (Benaroya Hall version)
Just listened to it Offers.

Excellent version. Good skills.

Old 24-09-2009, 08:36 PM
Switching Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenner
Just listened to it Offers.

Excellent version. Good skills.
I put it on too, possibly the greatest song ever written. Ill let you get back now.
Closed Thread