United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Not Football related > Music > Tissue Island Discs (TID's)
Closed Thread

Old 24-09-2009, 07:57 PM
shyteds

Default Re: TIDs (3) #3 - BarryX

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryX
You may find the sausages a tad too spicy, so we chipped in for some special topical toilet paper, for your personal pleasure....

Anyway, I am nicely mellowed by the booze and food and ready to get down to business. Its great to be here
Sorry to interrupt but that is brilliant.

Old 24-09-2009, 07:58 PM
BarryX

What can I tell you about JJ - my favorite artist, by some distance.

His music is the soundtrack to my life. A laid back, understated, incredibly talented singer, songwriter and, above all, guitar player. His lyrics are wise, uplifting and funny (full of tales of loose women, drinking and the odd spliff or two). My Old man introduced me to him, and I think I probably first heard JJ when I was a sperm ready to go on the great egg race...

Reading and watching interviews of his, he has said he never really sought fame – he’s just a song writer that’s pleased for other people to play his songs. Clapton (most successfully), Jonny Cash, Santana, Sergio Mendes, Deep Purple, Tom Petty and Beck, amongst many others, have covered JJ.

Hard to pick just one of his tracks (and so he’s also my last pick in collaboration with Clapton) but this is from one of his best albums, Troubadour. A current favourite that deserves a wider audience and served me well last week in Istanbul when my bags weren't loaded

Old 24-09-2009, 07:59 PM
BarryX

Thumbs up Re: TIDs (3) #3 - BarryX

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyteds
Sorry to interrupt but that is brilliant.
glad you liked it

they were buy one, get one free in netto if that helps.

Old 24-09-2009, 08:00 PM
Brenner

Agreed, the '76 album Troubadour is quality.

This is a mellow yet funky track which Eric Clapton covered no?

Old 24-09-2009, 08:03 PM
BarryX

Thumbs up Re: TIDs (3) #3 - BarryX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenner
Agreed, the '76 album Troubadour is quality.

This is a mellow yet funky track which Eric Clapton covered no?
yes indeed, Clapton also covered it (I only actually found that out when looking for the track on Youtube). However JJ is the man - watching him play live (allbeit via video/dvd) beats any recording. The guy is one of my all time heroes. Up there with Cantona.

Old 24-09-2009, 08:05 PM
Brenner

Default Wings - Live & Let Die

Fine praise indeed...

Track 2 is by scouse c*** Paul McCartney and his now departed wife, from 1973's Bond film of the same name.

The first Bond track on TID's btw, why does this make the cut..?

Old 24-09-2009, 08:07 PM
BarryX

Default Re: Wings - Live & Let Die

A song of many firsts for the little Barry. My first favourite track (I used to constantly play it on my old man’s stereo). My first memory of Bond. My first hard on (Solitaire – yes please).

It’s such a cool song, even now. Love the little change of pace in the middle (what does it matter to you, when you got a job to do you got to do it well. You got to give the other man a hand….). What lyrics. What a great great song. And what an excellent video/intro to the film (Bond straight away waking up next to another beauty….).

Even when I hear this song now, it still holds a special mystery to it. Top top tune...

Old 24-09-2009, 08:09 PM
Brenner

Are you a Bond film fan Barry, or was it just this particular song...?

Old 24-09-2009, 08:13 PM
BarryX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenner
Are you a Bond film fan Barry, or was it just this particular song...?
I always liked the bong girls, more than the films. Not really a massive fan or anything like that..however Live and Let Die is definitely my favorite from the franchise. I love the funeral scene. Real 70's.

Old 24-09-2009, 08:19 PM
Brenner

Default The Orb - Little Fluffy Clouds

Apologies, I've just had a bit of the smoked aubergine paste with my slug of Cardhu, very nice combination imo, my throat's burning a touch though now tbf...

Track 3 takes us from the 70's to 1990, and on an ambient hypnotic trip...

What memories does this track evoke for you...?
Closed Thread