United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Not Football related > Music > Tissue Island Discs (TID's)
Closed Thread

Old 14-09-2009, 07:47 PM
Brenner

Default Rammstein - Du Riechst So Gut (You Smell So Good)

Nice one!

Link to the missus btw...

I saw Sunbed at the driving range at the Trafford Centre a couple of weeks ago, he's still a kind of copper/orange colour!

Back to your tracks now and the 5th song is by 6 piece Berliners and German industrial metalists, Rammstein, from their 1995 "Herzeleid" (Hearbreak) album.

What memories do they stir for you...?

Old 14-09-2009, 07:48 PM
Jez Quigley

Default Rammers!

The Quigster's favourite band

Went to Germany in 2000 and in 2002 I heard the song 'Sonne' (originally written as the ring entrance music for one of the Klitschko brothers)
That was it. Superb videos, great lyrics and a subtle sense of humour. Throw in brilliant tunes, some camp German power vocals and all in all, they're just ace.

Best concerts I have ever seen too - with Dortmund in November 2004 the absolute highlight - and this song is for me one of the show highlights.
Brilliant guitar and the vocals in this are ace - my fave Rammstein song.

link to follow...

Old 14-09-2009, 07:51 PM
Brenner

They're no strangers to controversy I believe, whether it's their video's, lyrics, imagery and even in relation to violent deaths.

I'd say they'd be good value at the live gig's you've been to...

Old 14-09-2009, 07:57 PM
Jez Quigley

Default yup

one of their best songs live is 'Mein Teil' about that German cannibal who advertised for people to be eaten by him.

On stage, the geeky keyboard player ends up chased round the stage with the lead singer aiming a flamethrower at him, only to end up in a giant cooking pot and getting roasted.

Lots of deviant sexual imagery (see the Sonne video for a good bit of kinky spanking by Snow White on some of the 7 dwarves or the 'Ich Will' bank robbery with the scared security guard getting a hard on) and Teutonic bonkersness (on stage is also a Reservior Dogs like version of 'Du Hast').

For people who don't know Rammstein - they were the band at the start of XXX where the Bond like agent gets killed.

New album out soon - can't wait. Utterly love them.

Incidentally, my missus won't drive with me in Tripoli when they are on - they work me up into a right aggressive frenzy. If you are ever here, at 0630 near the Al Fateh Tower - you are likely to hear some Rammers blaring out of my car.

Old 14-09-2009, 08:01 PM
Brenner

Default The Bloodhound Gang - Mope

I'll remember that, next time I'm near Fatty Towers...

Staying on the controversial vibe, your next choice is by American alternative rockers, The Bloodhound Gang, from their 1999 "Hooray For Boobies" album.

Spill the beans on the reasons...

Old 14-09-2009, 08:12 PM
Jez Quigley

Thumbs up Ha

we call them the Fatty Towers too

A guilty pleasure. Using 2 of my other favourite songs, Relax by FGTH and 'Rock Me Amadeus' by Falco, this song is a hoot and the one that got me in to the utterly brilliant, funny and just all round brill BHG.

Top lyrics (amazing what a good breakfast pickles makes isn't it?) and some acute observations (I watch 'Cops' with no pants on) with guest appearances by Homer and Pacman. What more could you want?

Saw them with mates in Dusseldorf in 2000 - got all their albums etc and there's barely a duff track in their whole works.

BHG = Good, childish fun.

Old 14-09-2009, 08:18 PM
Brenner

Default Paul Young - Love of The Common People

Great use of the samples on this track, I like it, and Pacman on crack ffs...

The BHG should be checked out lads, some real gems in their discography like "The Evils of Placenta Hustling"; "Shitty Record Offer"; "I Wish I Was ***** So I Could Get Chicks" and "A Lap Dance Is So Much Better When the Stripper Is Crying" amongst others...

Your penultimate track then is the 1983 re-released single from the 1982 album "No Parlez". Tell us more...

Old 14-09-2009, 08:20 PM
Jez Quigley

Default not forgetting

the excellent 'Kiss Me Where It Smells Funny'

Paul Young = Schooldays.

Back in those days, the Quigster was not well monied and only had one album to my name (Thriller).
My school - North Manc - went on a football tour of Europe by coach and played games in Austria, Germany etc. On the coach we had a handful of albums one of which was 'No Parlez' by Paul Young. I absolutely fell in love with it to such an extent, I embarrassed myself years later by saying confidently that Joy Division's version of 'Love Will Tear Us Apart' wasn't a patch on Paul Young's original!

Anyway, a brilliant tour and when I got back, I saved like mad for the album, modelled my hair to be like Paul's and LOTCP was my favourite song.
I copied the dance to it from Top Of The Pops and it helped me get my first girlfriend in a Moston youth club

Old 14-09-2009, 08:25 PM
Brenner

Default The Dukes of Stratosphear - Brainiac's Daughter

f***in 'ell, the things that guests divulge on TID's...

I think I know why you chose your luxury item now aswell!

Your final choice Jez, is the 1987 track from the psychedelic alter ego of XTC, and a track from their "Psonic Psunspot" LP.

What memories does this track conjure up...?

Old 14-09-2009, 08:31 PM
Jez Quigley

Default Brainiac's Daughter

I know, now I know where I recognise Tissue island from - it's Guantanemo Bay! The Yanks would get all their info just by sending Brenner in

The first record I ever bought was by XTC - Sgt Rock - and they've always been ace. This was a spin off band from them and this is a very Beatles like, weird and wonderful song.

Right now, am about 4 weeks away from The Quiglet coming into the world and as my missus has a pretty hefty brain, this song tickles me. An upbeat, cheery song - and one that rounds out the collection!

Oh - and there's obviously a Superman link in there

Ah - as promised, this is about the max link to Mrs Quiggers

Last edited by Jez Quigley; 14-09-2009 at 08:33 PM.
Closed Thread