United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Not Football related > Music > Tissue Island Discs (TID's)
Closed Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 07:18 PM
Brenner

That's class

(I didn't know talc was used to help with the moves!)

You very kindly did a Northern Soul compilation for me last year and I have to say I was intrigued about which track you would choose from that era, and you didn't disappoint...

Yeah, there's an album about, spanning 1965-73, get on it...
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS.../pageturners0c

Old 07-09-2009, 07:21 PM
jaffo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenner
That's class

(I didn't know talc was used to help with the moves!)

You very kindly did a Northern Soul compilation for me last year and I have to say I was intrigued about which track you would choose from that era, and you didn't disappoint...

Yeah, there's an album about, spanning 1965-73, get on it...
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS.../pageturners0c
f**king hell - excellent! track 11 (Go For Yourself) is a cracker but I don't know any of the rest of them.

Yeah, dancers used to chuck talc over the dance floor. Helps with the spins!

Old 07-09-2009, 07:23 PM
Brenner

Default Early United Memories

Thought that was speed, not talc Jaff

Pausing for a moment from your selections, tell us about your first United experiences...

Old 07-09-2009, 07:25 PM
jaffo

I first saw United in 1969 (forty years ago!) against Crystal Palace. It was the Wilf McGuinness era, I think, and I was just transfixed.

My mum took me because my dad would never leave Cornwall for anything; even though I got my United supporting from him he never went to see them.

I saw Law, Best, Charlton, Willie Morgan, Kiddo; it was just fantastic. The noise of the crowd, the pitch and how green it was, the players running on, how bright the shirts were, the singing, it was mind blowing for a nine year old from the sticks. I’d never seen football on a colour telly so I had no idea what it would be like really.

When I grew up there was hardly any football on the telly; there was MOTD and The Big Match on ITV but they would only show highlights of one game each. You’d never see any of the goals from other matches so you just had to pray that they’d be showing United.

I remember that I used to watch Football Focus or whatever it was called then because if they had Barry Davies or someone reporting from OT then you knew United would be on. Seems mad now doesn’t it?

Old 07-09-2009, 07:31 PM
Brenner

An OOT before it was de rigueur!

You've seen some of the very best in a United shirt then over that period Jaff, who was the player who stood out for you and why?

Last edited by Brenner; 08-09-2009 at 09:22 AM.

Old 07-09-2009, 07:34 PM
jaffo

Any of the holy trinity really: Law, Best and Charlton. I've always had a soft spot for Nobby Stiles as well, I had a United Yearbook around then and there was a great photo in it of him flicking the v's to City fans - I always loved him after seeing that.

But to answer your question: for sheer skill - Best, for elegance - Charlton and for just being f**king great - Law

I'm pretty sure I saw the legend that is Carlo Sartori as well, I believe you met him a while ago?

Old 07-09-2009, 07:41 PM
Brenner

Thumbs up

I see Kiddo, Nobby & Carlo every November at an old boy's reunion do I go to with my old fella every year.

I'll get their autographs for you at the next one

Old 07-09-2009, 07:44 PM
jaffo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenner
I see Kiddo, Nobby & Carlo every November at an old boy's reunion do I go to with my old fella every year.

I'll get their autographs for you at the next one
Nice one, tell Kiddo the old school are relying on him to f**k up City's academy!

Old 07-09-2009, 07:46 PM
Brenner

Default Public Enemy - Public Enemy No. 1

He did his best to f**k Lids up so we should be ok...

Back to the tracks then and it's 1987's offering from Long Island hip-hoppers Chuck D & Co from their Yo! Bum Rush The Show album. Why does this make it...?

Old 07-09-2009, 07:48 PM
jaffo

I used to go to lots of warehouse parties which were the forerunners of raves really. People would find an old warehouse in a run down part of London and put a huge sound system in it. The music would range from northern soul (a lot of the people who started raves were ex-Northern Soul lads) to funk to rockabilly to early hip-hop to the short-lived go-go scene, drinks were sold in cans from a trestle table and everyone would dance all night.

They were great days, it was a really friendly loose scene and this record just blew my mind the first time I heard it. I loved early rap and hip-hop but it was getting a bit boring by the mid eighties. Suddenly this record came out and it was another ‘what the f**k is this?’ moment, it sounded so raw and angry. It was almost like a punk record in lots of ways.

Up until then rap acts all wore daft leather outfits and went on about how the ‘laydeez’ loved them, this lot were a lot tougher than that. It sampled a Fred Wesley track that I was very fond of too (Blow Your Head) so an all-round thumbs up for Chuck & the boys.
Closed Thread