United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Not Football related > Other Sports & Fitness
Closed Thread

Old 18-03-2009, 03:17 PM
Fountz

Lightbulb CRICKET: How fast do you think you could bowl a proper Cricket Ball ?

Now, I reckon low 60's at a push, perhaps edging up to the mid to late 60's. If I was to take it up again I'd try mould myself into being a Sorcerer of Spin..

I'd be interested to know what kind of pace I bowled at 15 years or so ago when I used to play in the evening with the lads from work, I was a lot slimmer, faster and nippier then.

Was watching the women's Cricket the other night, and the NZ fast bowler was touching the mid 70's. the majority of the other seamers bowl at around 65mph. Interesting.

Spinners generally bowl in the mid 40's to mid 50's and seam bowlers are considered pacey when they get into the high 80's

I reckon Flintoff edges out Harmison ( gormless f***er ) as our fastest bowler, and he very rarely gets the new ball aswell.

Wish the Speed-Gun had been around when the likes of Holding, Marshall and Thomson had been in their prime.

EDIT: Crikey,sorry Dodge, didn't realise it was reading as low 70's to mid 70's, I redid my thread and that was the speed the NZ bowler was hitting.

Last edited by Fountz; 18-03-2009 at 03:59 PM.

Old 18-03-2009, 03:19 PM
no fun

when thy tried to introduce cricket at the school I went to we emptied the kit bag, put Macca inside it then put it on top of the science lab

Old 18-03-2009, 03:20 PM
armchair

About 92mph

Old 18-03-2009, 03:22 PM
Smeggs

i bowl off spin.

could wing it down at a decent fast-medium as a kid though.

Old 18-03-2009, 03:22 PM
dodger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fountz
Now, I reckon ow 70's at a push, perhaps edging up to the mid to late 70's.
I don't know how much cricket you've played but most of us would be lucky to hit 60mph, the majority would be below.

If you're a proper club quick bowler you might hit 70 mph

Old 18-03-2009, 03:25 PM
believe

I can bowl a cricket ball at 84mph. However, I am one of the finest left arm spin bowlers in the North West Counties so there isn't much need for speed.

Old 18-03-2009, 03:26 PM
The Watcher

Don't you have to bowl around 90 mph to get it to reverse swing? Reminds me of Wasim Akhram destroying England in 1992. On form he was f***ing unreal.

I used to be a lethal off spinner

Old 18-03-2009, 03:33 PM
believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Watcher
Don't you have to bowl around 90 mph to get it to reverse swing? Reminds me of Wasim Akhram destroying England in 1992. On form he was f***ing unreal.

I used to be a lethal off spinner
depending on weather conditions and the ball you can reverse swing at medium pace.

I once bowled Graham Hick out with what he described has the hardest ball he had ever faced.

Old 18-03-2009, 03:37 PM
Jack Duckworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe
depending on weather conditions and the ball you can reverse swing at medium pace.

I once bowled Graham Hick out with what he described has the hardest ball he had ever faced.
tbf, if the wind was behind you, with your ears, the batter wouldn't stand a chance.

Old 18-03-2009, 03:38 PM
thenorthwillriseagain

i am the king of the yorker
Closed Thread