United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Everything else > Off Topic
Closed Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 11:34 AM
no fun

Default good david may interview from the guardian archives

ďI was a bit of a joker in the United dressing room. When I wasnít greeting Jordi Cruyff with ĎDos San Miguels you dago b*****dí, Iíd urinate down team matesí legs in the shower, cut the laces out of Nicky Buttís new trainers or put Deep Heat in the kitmanís shorts. And some saw my biggest joke as getting in most of the photos when United won the European Cup.

I always thought that if I got near the trophy then Iíd be in the pictures. I saw the trophy on a chair and thought: ĎIím having that.í So I picked it up and the rest is history. Although I didnít play in the final, I was proud of my contribution to the treble.

Iíd been at United for five years when we won the European Cup after joining from Blackburn Rovers in 1994. I have happy memories of Blackburn Ė we went from the wrong end of Division Two to second in the Premiership Ė but they are soured by my final months there.

They accused me of being greedy in contract negotiations. I was in a regular in the first team where Alan Shearer was paid £9,000 a week. Me? I was on £500 basic and asked for £4,000.

Jack Walker tried to persuade me to stay when he heard United were interested. And David Batty rang me up shouting ĎScum! Scum! Scum!í down the phone, but Iíd made my mind Ė you only get one chance to go to Old Trafford.

I made 118 appearances for United over the next eight seasons, although I was continually hit by injuries in my last years at the club and moved to Burnley in 2003. After retiring in 2004, I formed a partnership to import South African wine with a friend and itís gone well ever since. I was lucky to have made some money from football to invest in the business, whereas I played with lads at Blackburn and Burnley who now work in factories. New clients can be surprised that Iím now involved in wine, but Iíve yet to meet an irate Leeds or Liverpool fan who doesnít want to do business.

Weíve just launched a new range called Mayson Ridge Ė the ĎMayí coming from my name. My business partner is a South African restaurateur and he speaks Afrikaans. We have a Chenin Blanc, Sauvignon Blanc, Chardonnay, Cabernet Sauvignon and a Pinotage, which is a cocktail of red fruit flavours on both the nose and the palate.

Iíve not cut my links with United. I work for MUTV and attend matches, usually in the hospitality lounges. I still jump for every header that Vidic or Rio goes for. Itís hard when you stop playing and nobody prepares you how to deal with it, but I get behind the lads. I was singing the Paul Scholes song at Cardiff a few years ago when a Geordie got a bit irate and tried to have a go. I was in the Newcastle endÖ

Some might be surprised that I say that because I supported City when I was younger, probably to be awkward because all my family were United fans, but I had trials with City when I was 14 and hated it. It was like a cattle market. These days my allegiances lie with United.

My highlight was winning the double at Middlesbrough in 1996. Everyone was singing and drinking on the bus back to Manchester and I was thinking, ĎThis is the life. Winning the FA Cup a week later over Liverpool wasnít bad eitherÖí
I probably played my best football at United that season. I had a consistency that comes with playing every week, which I didnít have in my later years at Old Trafford.

I look back at my time at Old Trafford and appreciate it more now. I still canít believe that five or six lads came through the same youth team. Most of them were United fans from Manchester who went on to play for England. I doubt that will ever happen again.

Aside from Scholesy, whose children go to the same school as mine, I donít see too many of my former team-mates. People think that you keep in touch, but they are work colleagues arenít they? I understand why people say it, but itís a job to us. People have asked me if Iím Alan Shearerís mate, but Iíve not spoken to him since the day I left Blackburn Ė apart from when we beat them.Ē

Old 05-03-2009, 11:39 AM
rubbernecker

Thumbs up

New to me

Old 05-03-2009, 11:42 AM
Jez Quigley

Default Played footy

against him in really tough 5-a-side tournament in Ardwick, about 23 yrs ago.

Was a top player - hard as nails.

Old 05-03-2009, 11:48 AM
dodger

Thumbs up

Good interview, seems a decent lad. The wages at Blackburn are interesting, I wasn't earning much less than him at the time. Shearer will have been popular...

Old 05-03-2009, 11:49 AM
forzagarza

He can piss down my legs anyday

Old 05-03-2009, 11:51 AM
withapacketofsweets

That will explain the Shearer - Stinks of Piss rumour then.

Old 05-03-2009, 11:52 AM
believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by no fun
made some money from football to invest in the business, whereas I played with lads at Blackburn and Burnley who now work in factories.
I hope he means f***ing David Batty. What a f***ing c*** of a c*** he was.

Old 05-03-2009, 11:52 AM
Billy Baroo

david batty comes out of it sounding like a reasonable, intelligent chap doesn't he?

Old 05-03-2009, 11:55 AM
programmes?

A mate of mine fitted a new kitchen for Gary Pallister in the mid nineties. When the job was done Pally slipped him and his mate a grand apiece in their hand.

David May got a workmate of theirs to fit a kitchen in his farmhouse. They thought 'here we go, a nice lump sum out of it'.

David May gave them each a 25lb bag of spuds.

Old 05-03-2009, 11:56 AM
dodger

Quote:
Originally Posted by programmes?
A mate of mine fitted a new kitchen for Gary Pallister in the mid nineties. When the job was done Pally slipped him and his mate a grand apiece in their hand.

David May got a workmate of theirs to fit a kitchen in his farmhouse. They thought 'here we go, a nice lump sum out of it'.

David May gave them each a 25lb bag of spuds.
Was he shipped out shortly afterwards?
Closed Thread