United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Everything else > Off Topic
Closed Thread

Old 03-05-2017, 07:15 PM
redhegemony

Utter disgrace making money out of tuition fees - the financing of HE is a complete and utter mess driven by ideology. Millions have been siphoned off in fraud by dodgy private colleges.

The Government wants to sell off the loan book.

Old 03-05-2017, 07:20 PM
Cream

This lad reminds me a lot of Silv.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...be-underground

Think Silv is from Plymouth or something but definitely Devonesque.

(hopefully this is deemed on topic)

Old 03-05-2017, 07:20 PM
Mr_Ed

I did a YTS and never went to Uni... thick twat

Old 03-05-2017, 07:24 PM
waynes ear's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster
Zero, because I didn't need to suck from Educations Teet before joining the real world...

Bunks = ALPHA DOG

Old 03-05-2017, 07:27 PM
silv

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhegemony
Utter disgrace making money out of tuition fees - the financing of HE is a complete and utter mess driven by ideology. Millions have been siphoned off in fraud by dodgy private colleges.

The Government wants to sell off the loan book.
It should at the least be interest free

I don't believe everyone should go to uni and think far too many are going now but charging interest to people trying to better themselves is wrong.

Old 03-05-2017, 07:48 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Ed
I did a YTS and never went to Uni... thick twat
At least you are honest, I suppose

Old 03-05-2017, 07:55 PM
Whip Hubley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster
Zero, because I didn't need to suck from Educations Teet before joining the real world...

Hope you're all enjoying and getting something out of the degree you did...

Old 03-05-2017, 09:43 PM
Albert Tatlock

Tuition is still free for all in Belgium.

Dunno how long they can maintain it though as the entrance requirements are quite low so many people go. They still encourage as many as possible to apply.

The thing is the standards to pass the first year (and subsequent years) are very high, so they fail a ridiculous amount after year one, which wastes a lot of money.

I guess it's a policy of making it available for anyone who wants to try, but still maintaining standards in the end qualification

The problem of course is the cost and either they will raise the entrance standards for year one, or introduce fees of some sort.

Old 03-05-2017, 10:00 PM
BarryX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert Tatlock
Tuition is still free for all in Belgium.

Dunno how long they can maintain it though as the entrance requirements are quite low so many people go. They still encourage as many as possible to apply.

The thing is the standards to pass the first year (and subsequent years) are very high, so they fail a ridiculous amount after year one, which wastes a lot of money.

I guess it's a policy of making it available for anyone who wants to try, but still maintaining standards in the end qualification

The problem of course is the cost and either they will raise the entrance standards for year one, or introduce fees of some sort.
As opposed to the UK where the extortionate cost of tuition fees (at least 37,000 for a three year course) means that students have become defacto clients of universities, many of which need students to leave feeling a sense of satisfaction (which, naturally, goes on a league table). Universities therefore go out of there way to help students pass and I honestly think it's nearly impossible to fail the majority of degrees these days.There'll end up being a surplus of students with decent grades (on paper at least) that they've borrowed ridiculous sums to get, but will end up being worthless.

Still, I had a great time going back in my late thirties and studying a subject I've always wanted to. The MA's pretty mint, too (and I believe my loan will get wiped out by the time I'm 60).

Old 03-05-2017, 10:12 PM
TripDownMiseryLane

The customers at universities are in a right pickle, not only are they being ripped off on the fees, but the finance as well.
Closed Thread