Closed Thread

Unread 18-07-2018, 11:37 AM
saffers

He's ours for keeps.

Unread 18-07-2018, 01:34 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK14
Yet some people still question why we're looking to upgrade our defence.
Literally nobody questions that tbf.

But we concede a lot of shots because we choose to defend more than other teams.

Unread 18-07-2018, 01:40 PM
AK14

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
Literally nobody questions that tbf.

But we concede a lot of shots because we choose to defend more than other teams.
No?

Ah, must have dreamt the posts a couple of days ago questioning why we’re looking at signing centre backs and that Smalling etc are good enough.

Unread 18-07-2018, 01:45 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
No?

Ah, must have dreamt the posts a couple of days ago questioning why we’re looking at signing centre backs and that Smalling etc are good enough.
Will be a wum imo.

Nobody would say no to a defender or two. Thinking they might make Sanchez and Pogba play well is another issue mind. Remains the bigger issue.

Unread 18-07-2018, 01:48 PM
AK14

Quote:
Will be a wum imo.

Nobody would say no to a defender or two. Thinking they might make Sanchez and Pogba play well is another issue mind.
Nope, quite a few very serious comments about us not needing defenders.

It’s ok pal, you were wrong. I forgive you.

Unread 18-07-2018, 02:36 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Nope, quite a few very serious comments about us not needing defenders.

It’s ok pal, you were wrong. I forgive you.
Link to comments?

Unread 18-07-2018, 02:43 PM
AK14

Quote:
Link to comments?
Seriously?

Happens to the best of us pal, take it on the chin.

Unread 18-07-2018, 02:45 PM
ScholesGingerSheen

Quote:
Will be a wum imo.

Nobody would say no to a defender or two. Thinking they might make Sanchez and Pogba play well is another issue mind. Remains the bigger issue.
It's not a f***ing WUM.

Last 4 Years our defensive record is this

2014-15, 4th Best defence, 5 more goals conceded than division best
2015-16, Equal best defence in the division
2016-17, 2nd best defence, 3 more goals conceded than division best
2017-18, 2nd best defence, 1 more goal conceded than division best.

It doesn't really matter if that's because Dave is saving it or not (frankly given what we're paying him he should work), a new centre half is not going to make us that much better that it changes our league position significantly.

Conversely in the last 4 years our goals scored has compared to the top performers like this

2014-15 62 Scored, 4th Highest scorers, 21 goals fewer than the best in div.
2015-16 49 Scored, 10th Highest Scorers, 20 goals fewer than the best
2016-17 54 Scored, 8th Highest Scorers, 31 goals fewer than the best
2017-18 68 Scored, 5th Highest Scorers, 38 goals fewer than the best

In terms of possessing the ball, we were the worst of the top 6 last year, on average the Berts have the ball almost 14% more of the game than we do, and in the past I'd have dismissed that as a pointless stat, but those £#%&!ers scored 38 goals more than we did as well as conceding 1 fewer goal.

The problem is not the defence.

Unread 18-07-2018, 02:48 PM
AK14

15/16...

Unread 18-07-2018, 02:59 PM
ZiggyStardust

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScholesGingerSheen
It's not a £#%&!ing WUM.

Last 4 Years our defensive record is this

2014-15, 4th Best defence, 5 more goals conceded than division best
2015-16, Equal best defence in the division
2016-17, 2nd best defence, 3 more goals conceded than division best
2017-18, 2nd best defence, 1 more goal conceded than division best.

It doesn't really matter if that's because Dave is saving it or not (frankly given what we're paying him he should work), a new centre half is not going to make us that much better that it changes our league position significantly.

Conversely in the last 4 years our goals scored has compared to the top performers like this

2014-15 62 Scored, 4th Highest scorers, 21 goals fewer than the best in div.
2015-16 49 Scored, 10th Highest Scorers, 20 goals fewer than the best
2016-17 54 Scored, 8th Highest Scorers, 31 goals fewer than the best
2017-18 68 Scored, 5th Highest Scorers, 38 goals fewer than the best

In terms of possessing the ball, we were the worst of the top 6 last year, on average the Berts have the ball almost 14% more of the game than we do, and in the past I'd have dismissed that as a pointless stat, but those £#%&!ers scored 38 goals more than we did as well as conceding 1 fewer goal.

The problem is not the defence.
You do realise things are generally a bit more nuanced than that

The reason we have a very good defensive record (aside from Dave) is that the team is cautious and defends deep

If we played a more expansive game with a high line defence then our defenders would be a lot more exposed

I don't think getting some world class defenders in is going to make Jose's change from his defending deep full backs don't overlap too much approach

Unread 18-07-2018, 05:07 PM
ScholesGingerSheen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZiggyStardust
You do realise things are generally a bit more nuanced than that

The reason we have a very good defensive record (aside from Dave) is that the team is cautious and defends deep

If we played a more expansive game with a high line defence then our defenders would be a lot more exposed

I don't think getting some world class defenders in is going to make Jose's change from his defending deep full backs don't overlap too much approach
You do realise that what you've put there is a hypothetical truism based on little more than this board thinking Chris Smalling is a bit thick and Phil Jones a bit clumsy. We spend as much time in the opposition third as anyone bar Spurs and the Berts, only the Berts and Liverpool spend markedly less time in their own half.

There's always some reason why our defensive record doesn't count, it's never that the defence is actually perfectly serviceable, it's that Matic and Pogba are shackled in our half, even though they spend most of the time losing the ball and putting the defence under immediate pressure.

Once I've posted this someone will find a gif of us conceding a goal to some imagined unique error by Smalling or Jones as if that proves a point.

We could buy better fullbacks, absolutely, and I would actually support that, but if we bought Bonucci we'd have 4 international centre halves that were bought to be better than the shit@#%&!s we have already who turned out to be a bit underwhelming, partly because Smalling and Jones aren't actually that bad and partly because the likelyhood of a centre half coming to England at 31 after spending his entire career in Italy and not sucking gigantic balls for at least a season is vanishingly small.

Unread 18-07-2018, 05:09 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScholesGingerSheen
You do realise that what you've put there is a hypothetical truism based on little more than this board thinking Chris Smalling is a bit thick and Phil Jones a bit clumsy
Now why could they possibly - POSSIBLY - think those things? Do help me out, pal

Unread 18-07-2018, 06:12 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Seriously?

Happens to the best of us pal, take it on the chin.
SGS has just clarified that he would support signing new defenders, but that it’s not going to revolutionise our team. So similar to my point, and not what you suggested.

Disappointed to say the least.

Unread 18-07-2018, 06:14 PM
andyroo

Quote:
SGS has just clarified that he would support signing new defenders, but that it’s not going to revolutionise our team. So similar to my point, and not what you suggested.

I thought you said SSG. That would've been a gamechanger.

Unread 18-07-2018, 06:14 PM
AK14

Quote:

Take it like a man pal

(You are a bloke yeah?)

Unread 18-07-2018, 06:25 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Take it like a man pal

(You are a bloke yeah?)
I’m going to need to see some improvement in your game pal. This cannot continue.

Unread 18-07-2018, 06:33 PM
AK14

Quote:
I’m going to need to see some improvement in your game pal. This cannot continue.
Game?

No game pal, just shocked at how badly you’re taking this. You were wrong, move on.

United playing in a day or so, that should cheer you up

Unread 18-07-2018, 06:37 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Game?

No game pal, just shocked at how badly you’re taking this. You were wrong, move on.

United playing in a day or so, that should cheer you up
Bloody hell pal even Saffers wouldn’t put himself through watching United at 3am

Will wait to catch the thread

Unread 18-07-2018, 06:38 PM
AK14

Quote:
Bloody hell pal even Saffers wouldn’t put himself through watching United at 3am

3am?!

Ffs Jose!

Unread 18-07-2018, 07:39 PM
saffers

Quote:

Havent bothered with our pre season games for years. Remember us destroying some part timers 8-0 in lvgs first game and reading up on the giddiness on here the morning after.

I see your "even saffers" broadside. Sad2c my bro still attacking me.
Closed Thread